1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

"Animaniacs: Volume One" DVD Talkback (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'The Warner Bros. Club' started by James Harvey, Jul 25, 2006.

?

Rate This DVD Collection

1. *****

12 vote(s)
    52.2%
  2. ****1/2

4 vote(s)
    17.4%
  3. ****

6 vote(s)
    26.1%
  4. ***1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. ***

1 vote(s)
    4.3%
  6. **1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. **

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. *1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. *

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Sirkenz17

Sirkenz17 where'd my avatar go?

I'm kind of disappointed that they didn't get Frank Welker for an interview on the Animaniacs Live thing.:sad:

2. Moto Pete

Moto Pete We Bare-ly Pete's

i've been so busy i have only played 4 discs

but i liked the Animanics Live!!!!!

3. Jpox

Jpox Member

Just to let my fellow Canadians know,
    I finally found a set for sale.
    At the weirdest place too, Rogers Video.
    Sure the price is a few dollars more expensive then probably Wal-Mart or something but as Professor Farnsworth from Futurama once said:
    "I know it's a rip, but I'll pay for the convienence."

4. WadeWilson

WadeWilson Member

They got it too? Weird. I found mine at HMV downtown TO for $39, same price as futureshop, who still don't have it. HMV site still says august 22nd tho.

5. Sirkenz17

Sirkenz17 where'd my avatar go?

In that same sequence is a cameo by the BTAS batman.

6. Anniemaniac

Anniemaniac Totally insaney

H'okkay, well i finally got this set a couple of days ago and i've been watching it ever since.

The first thing i noticed was the quality of the video. What's up with all the scratches and dots? Is everyones likes this or is it just my copy playin' up?

The Animaniacs Live thing was really cool though rather short, i'd of liked it to be longer. Plus, it'd be better if they talked more about individual episodes like i think someone already suggested. It was awesome seeing Maurice doing the burping XD

I got the weirdest sence of Deja Vu/nostalgia when i watched "What Are We" which is strange because although i know i did watch animaniacs when i was younger, i dont remember hardly any episodes at all. So i guess it was just a buried memory that got brought back.

As others have mentioned.. the hip hippos aren't funny at all. I had to skip their episode when it came on. I tried to sit through it but i was bored already after about a minute. I dunno how often they were used in the series, but i dont think it was many which im thankful for!

Skippy and slappy are great! Far better than what i used to think. Theres so many great lines in those episodes. I wonder if they could have worked if they got their own spin off show... I think they were good enough to have maybe pulled it off... but i dunno, just thinkin' aloud.

Overall, the whole set is great, minus a few little skits... (honestly, what the hell was "wings take heart"?!)

Yeah there is at least one episode with that problem that i noticed. I can't remember what episode it was though. I'm pretty sure it was on disk 3 but dont quote me on that, i could be wrong.

7. tb4000

tb4000 Active Member

I'm actually surprised Slappy never got her own show. I would love for WB to give her a new show now akin to Duck Dodgers, but Lord knows if Sherri Stoner, WB and Spielberg would all agree to revive it. There's been so much crap taking place since 1996 in the world we need her commentary.;)

8. Anniemaniac

Anniemaniac Totally insaney

Hehe, yeah. I kinda doubt they'de bring her back now though but it'd be seriously cool if they did. I'de love to see slappy on TV again...

9. UmmYeahOk

UmmYeahOk l33t haxx0r Narf!

This was the first time I've had to actually take the time and read the credits... ...Kathine Page r0xx0rs!!! Shes my hero, and I wanna be just like her when I grow up! Not only was she the Assistant to the Producer, but she was an Acrobat, the Good Witch, a Zamboni Driver, Held For Ransom, Equipped With Air Bag, Lemming Herder, Pitt Bull Trainer, Solar Powered, Bobby's Sister, Jeep Driver, Cowboys Fan, and she was a handler for many other animals, as well as did other miscellanious jobs on the show. She basically did it all! There could not be a show without her!

As for the Slappy Spin off thing, Pinky and The Brain seemed to do well by itself, Im sure Slappy would have too. I remember the first time I saw Bully For Skippy. I hadnt seen the show in a while, and when I caught it on the air, I was afraid that they had cancled Animaniacs and Slappy took their time slot (I had missed the opening theme)

Watching the show in order again, I felt that many episodes were played out of order (though aired in the same order). They aired "La Behemoth" before "A Moving Experience." Yet that was the episode that introduces these characters and explains more indebt of how/why they moved to the city. All, the audience got was the short intro theme for La Behemoth. And Hercule Yakko, Whos that hello-nurse-like mink? She looks like an important character, but we dont even get to she one of her two cartoons in Vol 1. Sure, she can also be found in the main opening theme of A!, but still the audience doesnt know who she is.

10. Fifi Fanatic

Fifi Fanatic Certified Skunkologist

Wasn't "One Flew Over the Cuckoo Clock" actually a pilot episode for a Slappy spin-off series? Somebody back me up here folks.....

That's what I thought too the first time I saw "Hercule Yakko" back in the day. "Hmmm, I wonder who she is?". Since that was, after all, her first appearance..... I think we all know who she is now. :anime:

11. Leviathan

Leviathan "It's against nature!"
    Staff Member Moderator

I finally broke down and bought the set yesterday. I'm on the fourth disc now, and i'm amazed at how well the show had held up (Better than some of it's contemporaries); my only previous exposure to this show was an occasional rerun and the Warners Escape/Animaniacs Stew VHS tapes, and it's nice to see some of those cartoons again, as well as the Pinky and the Brain and Goodfeathers shorts, which i've never seen before but are enjoyable all the same. Ditto the bumbers (the Mime, Good Time/Bad Time, the little boy in the suburbs, etc.)

The only exceptions to the goodness are the endings to the Mindy and Buttons episodes and the Hip Hippos shorts. The former is mostly entertaining (I especially liked the Popeye and Tom and Jerry spoofs in "Cat on a Hot Steel Beam".), but i can't and don't reccomend watching the last 30 seconds or so. The latter, well, the less said about those Hippo shorts the better.

As far as the technical stuff goes, the only compaints i can muster is the darkness of some of the episodes (Les Miseranimals and some of the other nighttime shorts are hard to see at times), and the lack of English subtitles.

That said, this set (And the episodes contained therin) are extraordinary; in ways, it's even better now then when i first saw it. I can't wait to buy the future volumes.

12. Anthonynotes

Anthonynotes Active Member

IIRC, "Cuckoo Clock" was intended as a possible spinoff pilot for Slappy---but given the general fan reaction at the time to that episode (aside from a few bits, I recall it wasn't very good---Slappy going nutso and thrown into a nursing home? Skippy gets taken into child services?!), any chance of a spinoff probably got killed...

13. Jpox

Jpox Member

Along with Batman from his animated series.
    I hate to correct you, but that is not Dizzy Devil. It's a purple Taz. I believe that these characters' cameos are to represent other WB animated shows at that time.
    I've posted screenshots on my blog of this scene.

14. UmmYeahOk

UmmYeahOk l33t haxx0r Narf!

Its is indeed a great use of spoofs... ...not only does it make fun of the fact that almost EVERY cartoon has done it, but that fact that EVERY mindy and buttons cartoon is about that! Chasing after an infant because someone else wasnt watching when they should have. The reason why they didnt make fun of the Mark Antony cartoon, was because pussyfoot was already beong used and followed. Technically you could say that 3 cartoons were being made fun from this.

Actually I was amzed with the brightness and clarity. You see for over a decade I had seen these on VHS TV recordings... ...I was able to see so much detail than before (The evil singing eyes and teeth were really an evil black dog)

As for the lack of subtitles, I agree, I was disapointed with that, and the lack of comentaries. I think the reason they left out english subtitles is to ensure that the "pay or play/pay for play" debate continues on. I told my husband that it was "or" and that I too once thought that it was "for" but he wouldnt believe me, and the spanish subtitle said "por" which doesnt help my arguement