1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

"Animaniacs: Volume One" DVD Talkback (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'The Warner Bros. Club' started by James Harvey, Jul 25, 2006.

?

Rate This DVD Collection

1. *****

12 vote(s)
    52.2%
  2. ****1/2

4 vote(s)
    17.4%
  3. ****

6 vote(s)
    26.1%
  4. ***1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. ***

1 vote(s)
    4.3%
  6. **1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. **

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. *1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. *

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Silly McGooses

Silly McGooses Active Member

Watching all the episodes again, I never realized how much "adult" humor was in this show! They really got away with stuff...I guess it went over my head when I was 7.

2. mobo85

mobo85 This space for rent

According to this guide, the opening lyric "here's the show's namey" was used in ten out of the first 25 episodes. The other 15 all have other opening variable verses (three are used in two episodes: "how urbaney, the rain in Spainey, and Pinky and the Brainy.")

3. DarthGonzo

DarthGonzo Fourteen Years!

I hear ya. Hey, if Warners can't even give characters with a 66 year legacy like Tom and Jerry a proper DVD set then it's so hard to get one's hopes up for a property like Animaniacs.

4. Cortez2301

Cortez2301 Active Member

Yeah well its TV-G or at least its supposed to be.So obviously adults would understand these jokes.I can't wait to buy it.

5. Jaime_Weinman

Jaime_Weinman Member

The one bit of information from the featurette that surprised me was finding out that Bernadette Peters was a last-minute substitute for another actress-singer (unnamed). It's a surprise because I always assumed that the "singing cat" concept was done to accommodate Peters' talents, but instead it seems that Sherri Stoner et al. got the idea of a singing cat and then looked for a Broadway actress to fill the role.

The Rita and Runt cartoons, by the way, continue to hold up fairly well; "Les Miseranimals" is spectacular and "The Cat and the Fiddle" is quite funny ("Oh Boy! I see the ball!"), while their pilot cartoon has some great Sherri Stoner dialogue. The thing I like about them is that their cartoons were less formula-bound than the others' and could go into a lot of different styles, whereas the Goodfeathers burned out pretty quickly, being so dependent on the movie they're based on.

Speaking of the Goodfeathers, I've heard that there was some talk of making them more like Bugs Bunny-style wisecrackers, and there was some disappointment when the writers made them just animal versions of the Goodfellas.

6. Keeper

Keeper Active Member

Yeah, I was surprised at the Rita story too... yet it made me think, "Did they mention that to us when we were there?" I know the subject of Rita and Bernadette was bought up -- asking if there'd be more Rita & Runt cartoons. I guess if they had mentioned it, someone from the group would have remembered and posted it, so I guess not, but the ol' mind is trying to tell me that it was stated but that I've forgotten the details. Silly old mind.

Only thing I do remember clearly was someone (Hastings, I think) referring to Bernadette Peters saying, "We were paying her in chocolate, but now she wants money or something..."

7. Jenny Tablina

Jenny Tablina Member

I got this set yesterday in the post, as a UKer I actually quite like this set a LOT.

Am I the only one to marvel over the packaging of this set? I know Warner Bros didnt put much effort into the extras though the art makes up for that a bit. A lot of DVD sets I have have about 2-3 bit's of art made that they recycle over and over and some old art also used for good measure, a lot of the art (baring the lineart used in the backgrounds) seem new. Plus also sometimes they bring in artists that just cant draw the characters very well (The Sonic Underground set and some Disney DVD's spring to mind)

Other than that I think I'm seeing a fair few of these episodes for the first time. Some eps like the Wally Lama I remember from my videos though a lot are kinda new to me.

I like the Good Feathers a lot less than I used to, the pilot ep really didnt work for me. Slappy is still funny and a lot of the episodes are awesome. A few things I'm curious about though

1) In the first episode or so with the The Monkey Song and Nighty Night Toon there seems to be some focus on the Hip Hippos more than the other cast characters, was it thought they would be the more popualr characters out of the set at first or something?

2) Why the heck does Jim Cummings use his Winnie the Pooh voice for Nighty Night toon? It was kinda weird (not to mention also weird that all the cast seem to live in the Water Tower at this point)

3) In "When Rita Met Runt" she seems...more sarcastic and sassy in this first episode. I dont know if it was intentional to have her like that then soften with time but it was just something that I found curious

8. TnAdct1

TnAdct1 Ravioli, Ravioli

With Nighty Night Toon, I believe that everyone (save for the Warners) had an equal share of focus. As for the Monkey Song, giving the Hip Hippos some more focus was most likely due to their style fitting well to the tropical feel of the song. However, don't forget that the Goodfeathers also got a decent amount of focus (with Squit's flute playing bothering Pesto).

Jim Cummings using his "Winnie-the-Pooh" voice was meant to be an homage to Pooh's original voice actor, Sterling Halloway. A well-known actor among Disney fans, Sterling, along with voicing various Disney characters (i.e. Pooh, the Cheshire Cat), has been known to do the narration for various Disney shorts, which is being emulated in Nighty Night Toon (and some other A! shorts). As for everyone living the tower, remember that this short's purpose was to introduce most of the show's cast. Hence, to make things easier, they decided to have everyone stay in the water tower in this short.

To me, Rita is always meant to be a sassy, sarcastic cat. As for her softening up in later shorts, it's most likely due to her finally getting used to Runt and his idiocy.

9. Keeper

Keeper Active Member

I believe the Hippos were expected to be used more often, yeah.

If I recall correctly from the CRGA, Sterling Holloway also had done a reading of Nighty Night Moon -- the poem of which Nighty Night Toon is a parody.

10. tb4000

tb4000 Active Member

I see most of the characters on here as basically new additions to the Looney Tunes group, unlike TTA who were basically the new generation. I could honestly see Goodfeathers, Rita and Runt, and the rest fitting in with characters like Goofy Gophers, Hubie and Bertie, etc.

11. J. B. Warner

J. B. Warner Increasing my wordiness

A few reflections on Disc 4...

- Hot dang, I forgot how bad Freelance was until I saw "Chalkboard Bungle". I don't think I've ever seen characters slide off-model so frequently. And apparently, the studio was under the assumption that the WB water tower was actually filled with water in this series...
    - "Hurray for Slappy" wasn't all that funny. The bland Akom animation had something to do with it (StarToons did the best work on the Slappy cartoons), but I primarily felt that Walter Wolf, Sid the Squid, and Beany the Brain-Dead Bison were funnier characters when they were just mentioned in passing during "Slappy Goes Walnuts". Names like that conjure up more laughs when they're left to your imagination; actually utilizing them in a later episode kinda takes away from that.
    - I now know that I should never show Episode 16 to my grandmother. One look at "The Great Wakkorotti" and she'll demand that I never bring this show into her house again.
    - Tokyo Movie Shinsa's B team really was nowhere near as good as their A team. There are spots in "Roll Over, Beethoven" where it really does look like an Akom production (for instance, when Dot looks at Beethoven's sheet music).
    - I suspect that I'm going to get tired of Rita and Runt pretty soon. They're not as funny as I remember.
    - Pinky and the Brain, however, are just as hysterical as they've always been. "Pavlov's Mice" is brilliant, and judging by my reactions to their other cartoons on this set, I think a purchase of the P&tB DVD is in order.
    - I have no idea who thought up the concept for Chicken Boo, but it's just too bizarrely funny for me not to mention it here.
    - Having seen examples of Ingmar Bergman's work last year in college, "Meatballs or Consequences" is now absolutely hilarious. I busted up at the scenes in which Yakko and Dot are just standing there talking flatly - it's bitingly accurate.
    - The Hip Hippos still aren't funny. The only laughs I got out of "A Moving Experience" were from the researcher getting smacked around. And I can't help but notice that this cartoon probably should have aired before "La Behemoth" did.
    - The Jerry Lewis director was funnier in "Hello Nice Warners" than he was in "Hearts of Twilight". At least his worshippers gave me a laugh.
    - "The Boids" is pretty darn bad. It'd be better if they played up the unique aspects of Bobby, Squit, and Pesto's personalities, rather than just having them operate as one group of characters that get whacked around a lot and make "Goodfellas" references.

12. Anthonynotes

Anthonynotes Active Member

I'm wondering if the Hip Hippos were insisted on being included by executives/the network/etc. in order to have at least some characters on the show that represented something then-trendy/"cool"/"hip", the way TTA often emphasized how "hip" and "90's" the Toonsters were. Though guess since they're making fun of the folly of following every trend whim, maybe not...

13. mobo85

mobo85 This space for rent

The funniest thing about Beanie the Brain-Dead Bison is he is referred to in all of his other appearances as Beanie the Cerebrally-Challenged Bison. I wonder if that was a jab at political correctness, or if the censors made them change it (I originally thought the former, but it's most likely the latter- after all, the censors made Freakazoid!'s alien Mo-Ron become Bo-Ron in his later appearances, a fact that was made fun of in a later episode).

14. Jpox

Jpox Member

I'm still waiting for the arrival of the set up here in Winnipeg.
    I'm dyin'!
    On the subject of adult-humor in the show, the one gag that I was surprised that got by the censors was featured in a Minerva Mink cartoon.
    I forget the name, but as she walks by a toad, it's eyes dance around in a circle and land in his mouth as his tongue expands out and upwards above his eyeballs.
    Don't have to say what that image looks like....

15. Peter Paltridge

Peter Paltridge Knows about rock people
    Staff Member Moderator

I've heard about that, and when I looked for it...it goes by so quickly, it's no wonder the censors missed it. It's also hard to tell if that's exactly what they were trying to do.

16. SB20xx

SB20xx Oooooh!
    Staff Member Moderator Reporter

Yeah, Freelance really went downhill after TTA. "Chalkboard Bungle"'s animation was particularly painful. It's funny because I never minded their work on TTA- it wasn't polished at all, but there was usually a charm in the facial expressions and exaggerated mouth movements they gave the characters. But their work on A! and the two Disney episodes they animated was just plain sloppy. Like, needlessly sloppy. I'm glad they weren't used very much.
    Yup. Their first couple of skits were OK ("Les Miseranimals" was pretty good), but I quickly lost interest aside from the songs.
    Agreed. I'm not sure why I never got into P&TB as much as Animaniacs, but some of the shorts on the set were highlights, to be sure. "Opportunity Knox" was classic.
    Bizarre, yes, but it's too one-note like Katie Kaboom. You've seen one, you've seen them all.
    Yeah, that was pretty spot-on. Though it's odd because when I saw that parody, I was reminded of Whose Line's parody of The Seventh Seal instead of the actual movie itself, probably because I watched that WL episode before seeing the Bergman film. "I have been cursed for many years." "I have found you, and now I am cursed." :D
    Worst A! characters. I'm not sure who on the writing staff thought that fat, rich snobs would make for funny comedy, because they aren't unless they are the butt of a joke.

17. DarthGonzo

DarthGonzo Fourteen Years!

There are only two Rita and Runt shorts that I really can stand to watch repeatedly. One is "Les Miseranimals" of course thanks to the sharp TMS animation and song parodies. The other would be "Phranken-Runt". That one I find incredibly funny with some more seriously wacky TMS animation. Otherwise I don't think I've sat through any other Rita and Runt shorts more than twice.

It really seems like everyone knew what they were doing with Pinky and the Brain from the beginning. Right out of the gate Pinky and the Brain began strong and stayed that way pretty much up until the entire Elmyra debacle. I don't think there are any truly bad P&TB shorts during Animaniac's first season. WAtching them 13 years later (I'm 27) I really forgot how good they were.

Which they were whenever they co-starred with the rest of the cast. I find their part "Hercule Yakko" to be fairly decent. The whole thing pretty much turns out to be just one big fat joke. Falvio's best role, IMHO, turned out to be as Flabby the Butt in "Star Warners." :lol:

18. ToOn~g@l

ToOn~g@l Just singin' the blues

Finished watching them all and boy was that fun even though a few did make me want fall asleep like that "Wings Take Heart" crap. whose idea was it to come up with a bee in love with a butterfly that has a human face? If I was that bee I would have been creeped out.

I agree with everyone else, The Hip Hippos just aren't funny, I'm glad they only had a few cartoons.

I like the goodfeathers, they just had this fun vibe to them that made me enjoy their witty remarks, although the godpidgeon only made an appearance in about two episodes, I thought he was in all of them.

Slappy of course delivers great laughs, I still think Bumbies Mom is a classic.

I used to not like the first Pinky and the Brains but after seeing them again I really enjoyed them. Pavlovs Mice delivered the best laughs with Brains I'm a little Teapot.

And of course Yakko Wakko and Dot come up with some of the best jokes and dialogues ever. Mainly From Hooked on a Ceiling, King Yakko, Taming of the Screwy, Plane Pals, and Roll Over Beethoven.

Next time I hope they do commentaries, I like hearing stories behind the cartoons. And I hope the next one comes out soon.

19. Jpox

Jpox Member

I believe the second volumes of both Animaniacs and P&TB come out in November or December.....

20. WadeWilson

WadeWilson Member

Delayed again in Canada, not coming out till the 22nd now. I'm pretty sure this isn't even coming out here.