1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

"Animaniacs: Volume One" DVD Talkback (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'The Warner Bros. Club' started by James Harvey, Jul 25, 2006.

?

Rate This DVD Collection

1. *****

12 vote(s)
    52.2%
  2. ****1/2

4 vote(s)
    17.4%
  3. ****

6 vote(s)
    26.1%
  4. ***1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. ***

1 vote(s)
    4.3%
  6. **1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. **

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. *1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. *

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Keeper

Keeper Active Member

Before or afterward?

Mwah! Goodnight, everybody!

Oh, and about where all the missing time went... I'm not sure yet, but it seems kind of like the "play all" and the individual episodes are done as separate tracks. The track navigator bar in my DVD program, anyway, had all the episodes as a single track when I hit "play all".

2. Jonny Mack

Jonny Mack Member

For the record, because I wasn't a WB employee, WB had no obligation to give me any personal credits at all. They just did. And I consider them to be very nice for doing it. They also invited me to the Emmy Awards. Even though they would usually use our stuff for the award submissions, they were certainly under no obligation to invite me.

I always repeat that to myself when, for instance, I see Barry Caldwell's name next to mine for directing Bumbie's Mom. I don't know what Barry did, but whatever it was, he was there in LA living it day-in and day-out. I was in Chicago enjoying it at my leisure.

3. Cactusjack1999

Cactusjack1999 CNX's 100,000th Visitor

Well there is one extra "gripe" about this DVD set.

NO ENGLISH SUBTITLES.

4. J. B. Warner

J. B. Warner Increasing my wordiness

Observations on Disc 3:

- The featurette is hilarious! Rob, Jess, and Tress are a real comedy team, and they work so well together. Plus, just look at Jess laughing after Maurice does his famous belch.
    - I kinda wish this DVD had been released sooner; "No Pain, No Painting" would have made a nice companion to the History of Modern Art course I took last year.
    - I've seen them before, but "Les Miseranimals" and "West Side Pigeons" are still brilliant.
    - "Hello Nice Warners" makes much more sense now than it did when I was a kid, now that I know who Jerry Lewis is.
    - Man, the Hip Hippos really aren't funny, are they?
    - Wang was probably the best studio to handle "Little Old Slappy from Pasadena", especially after their insane "Yakkety Yak" video for TTA.
    - "Cat on a Hot Steel Beam" has to be the best Mindy and Buttons cartoon ever. Just watching Buttons nailing more and more wooden items to the end of that beam made me crack up.
    - Again from an animation standpoint, "Space Probed" is another virtuoso piece of work from Wang. The background paintings are especially nice to look at.

5. mobo85

mobo85 This space for rent

There aren't any subtitles, but there are closed-captions, if your television has closed-captioning capabilities.

6. Pc-Famicom64

Pc-Famicom64 Active Member

From what I'm am reading, I love this box set (same with P&TB, plus I own both), but as you guys are saying about over seas stuff, The TMS base that did that did the inbetweens for Hello nice Warners is named Telecom (TMS did the Animatics for all of ther Episodes as well as ther own as ther were the only studio to be shiped off with out a animanic from Warner Bros, plus Telecom is a R&D team of TMS) & the TMS base that did Roll over Beethoven are the main base TMS (witch you guys said that it looks more like Akom but is better then Wang), in saying.

1. TMS/Telecom
    2. Startoons
    3. Main base TMS
    4. Wang
    5. Koko (I have not saw a Animaniacs episodes done by Koko yet, but from what I saw in Freakazoid it looks sloppy but better then Akom, but it was more like Dong Yang then Koko (unless Koko became better on Animaniacs then what ther did on Freakazoid), plus both Koko & Dong Yang are both Korein R&D teams of TMS)
    6. Akom (Warner Bros drop Akom for Koko for the 4th Season's episodes)
    7. FreeLance

I have not saw a Pasi episode of Animaniacs, so I cant say nothing about it.

plus hears Telecom's web site just to show you that I did not made it up.

http://www.telecom-anime.com/

7. candy17

candy17 Black, White, and Amorous

I Love The 90's: Animation Edition

I got this on Wednesday (actually my sister got it, but we both love the show).

The good news is, 1) I remember most of these episodes and I still laugh at them and the ones I didn't laugh at when I was a kid because the jokes were "over my head". 2) To make up for not having the episode Clown and Out (see "bad news"), they did have the two episodes that have the Jerry Lewis-sounding producer--Hearts of Twilight and Hello, Nice Warners. 3) The openings are the way they were when they aired on FOX and WB, not the godawful Nickelodeon way 4) I finally figured out which episodes aired on the first season which nicely segues into...

The bad news: 1) The DVD set didn't have my favorite episode, Clown and Out (the one where the Jerry Lewis-sounding clown bothers Wakko) or the one where the Warner Brothers and Sister go to Hell (the one that starts with a caricature of Saddam Hussein speaking to his subjects before getting dropped into Hell--if they did this today on kids' cartoons, heads would roll). 2) I still don't think the Mindy and Buttons cartoons are funny, but I didn't really see which ones were which since I can't identify Animaniacs episodes from titles (except for Clown and Out because I remember it airing on TV a few times before disappearing for reasons unknown).

All in all, this was worth the 26 bucks and the second season comes out in December, so I can get it for Christmas!:D

8. Peter Paltridge

Peter Paltridge Knows about rock people
    Staff Member Moderator

Name me one DVD extra where people dish dirt instead of compliment each other. It just doesn't happen.

It must be instinctual. I think if you were being filmed for a documentary or were doing a commentary on something you hadn't worked on in a long time, you would get all nostalgic and the good times would come to mind first. Of course, commentaries for shows that ARE still in production turn out the same way...but that's probably more because they still have to work with these people, and mentioning anything unpleasant that would embarrass someone on the staff could cause problems.

Third possible reason: you don't want to burn bridges in Hollywood. I look at many extremely happy DVD features and think of Buddy on the 65th Anniversary Special: faking every smile and suppressing horrible bitterness. Hee-hee-hee-HEE, hee-hee, hee-hee!

9. J. B. Warner

J. B. Warner Increasing my wordiness

Actually, this is just the first 25 episodes of the first season. The entire first season of "Animaniacs" is a whopping 65 episodes long, so we won't get to the end of Season 1 until Volume 3 rolls around.

10. Cortez2301

Cortez2301 Active Member

Hopefully now,the moderaors can make an episode talkback thread.

11. IDistractedYou

IDistractedYou Perky Prince of Painful Puns

For those who don't already have the boxset Target is selling both Pinky and the Brain and Animaniacs for $30 each (List price is $45) They also have a reciept for rainchecks if they are sold out. I got the last copy of A! from my Target, Pinky and The Brain was long gone.

12. SB20xx

SB20xx Oooooh!
    Staff Member Moderator Reporter

Perhaps I wasn't clear. I didn't imply that Jess, Tress, and Rob should've sat there and hurled insults at each other, and gossiped about stuff that may or may not have been true (because as you said, this could damage their career).

I said this in another thread, but one of the reasons why the Aladdin behind-the-scenes and the Star Wars: Empire of Dreams documentaries were so interesting to watch was that they both dealt with problems in making those films. Yes, there was a bit of back-patting, which is to be expected, but the point is, they didn't just gloss over history for the sake of making it sound like they had 100% smooth sailing from the beginning. That, to me, made those much more interesting to watch than if they had been left out.

And of course, there's been tons of stuff I never knew about the production process until I listened to the Simpsons commentaries. I mean, I would've never knew that "When Flanders Failed" was an episode riddled with animation re-takes unless they would've brought it up. Or that an earthquake caused some problems for the staff early in Season 6. That sort of thing. I could cite other examples of times on commentaries/making-ofs for other shows and movies that I haven't yet, but I think you see what I'm saying. Let's face it, all of us amateur filmmakers find it vicarious to listen to fellow filmmakers talk about their production woes. It's nice to relate.

Which is why I'm very interested in hearing more from the writers for the next set, like Jaime was mentioning. :)

13. DarthGonzo

DarthGonzo Fourteen Years!

Of coure what your talking about are lengthy commentaries. With only a half hour interview feature on the A! set I doubt there really was time to get into specifics. And comparing Disney films, Star Wars and Simpsons to a "simple" childrens show like Animaniacs is sort of pointless anyway.

Yeah more features would be nice but I'm just happy to get the show uncut without commercials finally.

14. SB20xx

SB20xx Oooooh!
    Staff Member Moderator Reporter

Well not really, because Animaniacs was a big hit. Maybe not as much as the three above, but certainly enough to have stuff to talk about. Heck, Jonny Mack has given us plenty of stuff just on this board and the interviews he's provided, so the notion that Animaniacs has no scoop isn't exactly true. Though you have a point that it's unfair to compare commentaries to more rigid, regimented documentaries where only a small amount of time is spent on each person.
    Oh definitely. 25 episodes, none of the NickToons edits, only $30, all that more than justifies its purchase. :)

15. Jonny Mack

Jonny Mack Member

Yeah all DVD's are pretty much self-congratulatory, but I don't think we're necessarily expecting people to trash each other, but hearing how challenges were overcome is usually something participants are proud to talk about, and fans are happy to know about.

Right off the bat I think of The Usual Suspects DVD where Bryan Singer admits how some of the actors solved many of their story problems ... OK, and what about Mary Poppins!!? It was amazing the stories they tell, on a DISNEY DVD, for Pete's sake! The politics and crap they had to go through to get that picture made. Dick Van Dyke admitting he had been voted worst dialectitian ever, by the British press. Frank Thomas talking about the nightmares he went through to work out that penguin routine. The fact that in 1964 Julie Andrews was up for the starring role in My Fair Lady ... but Jack Warner decided to go with Audrey Hepburn ... so Andrews took the Mary Poppins role instead, and then when she won the Academy Award for that, the first person Julie thanked was Jack Warner!!

Where's that sort of content in these Animaniacs DVD's? There were a heck of a lotta stories to tell that didn't necessarily have to offend anybody.

16. DarthGonzo

DarthGonzo Fourteen Years!

Right, now we're comparing Animaniacs to "The Usual Suspects" and "Mary Poppins." :lol:

17. Anthonynotes

Anthonynotes Active Member

(OPEN ON: ACME LABS---cut to Pinky, Brain, and Billie, watching themselves on DVD...Pinky laughs insanely)

PINKY: WAHAHAHA! Oooh, Brain, I'm so glad they finally put our old shows on DVD! NARF!

BRAIN: *Y-e-s*... finally, our program has been released to DVD! And with the high sales of this long-anticipated set, I can use the popularity it will generate combined with our shows on AOL's in2TV website to *TAKE OVER THE WORLD*!

BILLIE: (At a mouse-sized computer, looking at the technical specs to use in2TV) Eh, stupid website----don't they know there's some people who don't use Windows? Like Mac or Linux users?!

PINKY: (While still watching the TV, showing generic stock-footage of Brain bopping Pinky) Egad, brilliant, Brain! Oh, no, wait, no---what if they don't remember our show?

BRAIN: Pinky, our show aired on two broadcast networks, was spun off from a previous program, and survived NickToons' butchering, Warner Bros. head honcho meddling, a pile of ludicrous, juvenile fan fiction from this post's writer, and---(shudders)---*Elmyra*---to make it to DVD a mere 13 years after our Fox debut. What could *possibly* prevent us from succeeding again?

(Suddenly, the mice's TV cuts away from a scene of Brain bopping Pinky to show an image of...)

ALL THREE MICE: STEWIE GRIFFIN?!

STEWIE: Yes, Brain, I, Stewie Griffin---star of DVDs, ludicrous juvenile fan fiction by this post's writer where I waged bloody war against you, *and* a series that's still on the air and won far more Emmys than your show ever won! Yes, I, whose star currently shines much brighter than you pathetic rats' current cancelled status! I just wanted to tell you my show comes back on the air in a few months... and that my very own straight-to-DVD movie made far bigger haul than your box set probably will make. (Smirks) Of course, since my show's still on the air and airing on three different networks, I've got way more material to put on DVD than *you* do---but I suppose you could find some way of getting back on the air. I know---you could apply for a part on "The Simpsons". I hear there's an episode coming up where Homer praactices vivisection. I'm sure they'd "carve" you an appropriate place.... HA! (Laughs at his own distasteful joke, but gets shut off via a well-thrown-by-Brain remote through the TV screen)

PINKY: (Consoling a still-annoyed Brain) Awww, don't listen to him, Brain... I mean, maybe someday, *his* show will get the "Nickelodeon" logo tastelessly plastered all over his show's opening credits, too, POIT!

BRAIN: One can only hope, Pinky... one can only hope.

;-p

---

That pointless bit above aside, I'm back from buying the A! DVD set...

Went to Best Buy to buy the copy; found that there were only 4 copies of the A! set left, with 9 copies of the PatB set. Half the Pinky and the Brain DVDs and all the Animaniacs ones were put in a "new releases" section, while the rest of the PatB DVDs were next to it in a "best new sellers" section.

Currently watching the first disc---disappointed at how cheap the packaging looks (two disks on top of each other in two sections?!) compared to my "Wacky Races" and "Dastardly and Muttley" set. Also guess the show's older looking than I thought---see a lot of film scratches on the title screen of "Cookies for Einstein" (or Warner put as much effort into maintaining a show that's only 13 years old as it did in the set's packaging...).

Still, glad to see this show on DVD, at long long last...

-B.

18. Jonny Mack

Jonny Mack Member

No, the first example is of a very interesting DVD with great special features content, and just in case you thought it impossible for distrubors to take animation seriously, the second example was of Disney, probably the most self-congratulatory company that ever existed. The Animaniacs DVD features are 1) crap and 2) fluff and 3) sparse and 4) typical of the kind of decisions Warners has been making ever since Jack Warner passed on Julie Andrews. His legacy lives on.
    :raven:

19. Derekwc

Derekwc Let's Go wreck it!

What's the deal with the alternating intro closes?

Like they seem to just say "Here's a show that's nane-nie!"
    instead of "Pinky and the Brain-nie" or "Shirlie McClain-nie!"

Did they not do that on the first season?:confused:

20. Pc-Famicom64

Pc-Famicom64 Active Member

I did saw Pinky and the Brain-nie in Episode 2.