1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

"Animaniacs: Volume One" DVD Talkback (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'The Warner Bros. Club' started by James Harvey, Jul 25, 2006.

?

Rate This DVD Collection

1. *****

12 vote(s)
    52.2%
  2. ****1/2

4 vote(s)
    17.4%
  3. ****

6 vote(s)
    26.1%
  4. ***1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. ***

1 vote(s)
    4.3%
  6. **1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. **

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. *1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. *

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. James Harvey

James Harvey The World's Finest
    Staff Member Administrator Moderator Reporter

For the first time, fans can own Animaniacs: Volume 1 including 25 episodes featuring the crazy Yakko, Wakko, Dot and crew.

ANIMANIACS: VOLUME ONE
    [​IMG]

Follow the adventures or misadventures of the Warner Brothers, Yakko and Wacko, and the Warner Sister, Dot, in Animaniacs: Volume 1. Executive produced by Steven Spielberg, the ensemble cast of off-the-wall Warner Bros. characters, appear in a wide variety of roles as they continuously escape the water tower and run amuck all over the Warner Lot. Animaniacs: Volume 1 is a 5 disc collectors set filled with over 12 hours of zany adventures along with DVD bonus materials including Animaniacs Live! featuring comic Maurice LaMarche hosting an in studio style interview via satellite big screen TV with Animaniac friends as they comment on the historical show.

Comments? What are your thoughts on this new DVD?

2. SB20xx

SB20xx Oooooh!
    Staff Member Moderator Reporter

I had a humorous situation when buying this at Target: An older lady was my check-out person, and when she scanned the box she said, "My grandson would love this." I said something polite, I forget what. Then she asked, "Is this Japanese?" I said, "No, it's American." Then it must've been like a light-bulb going off because then she said, "Oh, this is like those old Warner Bros. cartoons, isn't it?" I said yes.

Anyway, the Japanese part was kinda funny. If I wanted to be REALLY technical, I could've brought up that one of the animation houses was from Japan, but she probably wouldn't know what I was talking about. :p

3. WadeWilson

WadeWilson Member

So we didn't get it in Canada, atleast till the 8th, and no where got Pinky and the Brain either. Thats great. I'm sure they forgot to ruin the packaging with French and thats the problem.

I'll also now be buying all of my DVDs in the USA, despite actually buying few and far between here for not wanting to support the Canadian companies and the French and removal of stuff, but I won't be buying any DVDs here now.

4. SB20xx

SB20xx Oooooh!

"Slappy Goes Walnuts": Holy cow, the opening minute with the 1940s Slappy cartoon is amazingly animated, with the full animation and appropriate squash-and-stretch. It's like Kennedy Cartoons done right!

5. Peter Paltridge

Peter Paltridge Knows about rock people
    Staff Member Moderator

I always test DVDs as soon as I buy them to make sure they work. Errors happen. These seem to be okay, but does anyone else have stuttering on the opening "Warner Home Video" logo?

It's StarToons. :D

I love the classy grainy-feel packaging. And the "mural" on the back side looks great. The Hip Hippos take up too much space for being such unpopular characters, though. I know scale had to be taken into consideration but still....I imagine everyone else in the cast is fighting to be seen from behind their butts.

I find the amount of episodes per disc odd. 25 shows could have been packed into three discs instead of five. Five episodes per disc and dual-layer? What did they do with all that extra wasted space?

Reviewers complained about the scratches and dust, but I remember the show being like that. However, I don't remember the Cookies for Einstein title screen being THAT scratched up. I'll have to get my tape of 1993 Airing #1 and see if there's been some mishandling.

And hey--there ARE chapter stops! Woohoo! (Batman doesn't get 'em, but the Warner siblings do?)

6. Nin-Nin69

Nin-Nin69 [CUE SQUEALING FANGIRLS]

Are they un-cut? That's all I care about. If so I'll snag this later tonight.

7. SB20xx

SB20xx Oooooh!

They seem to be. I've watched three discs so far and there don't seem to be full segments cut or gags missing; plus, the full show intro is intact- they're not using the butchered Nick intros or anything (thank goodness).

Then again, I'm probably the wrong person to answer this, since I haven't seen most of these in their original airings; Martianinvader can probably answer it better than I can.

Quick side-topic question: What studio animated the first Chicken Boo short, "Chicken Boo-Ryshnikov"? The A.H.E.M. guide says TMS, but it's too unpolished to be TMS. It looks more like Wang or Akom.

8. bottles98

bottles98 There's Baloney in my Slacks

Ah, they're finally out. However, since I only preordered a couple of days ago, (hey I was too poor 'till then. :p) it'll be a little while before I get them.

9. Peter Paltridge

Staff Member Moderator

I haven't seen the show on Nickelodeon. Any cuts Nick made would not be by Warner Bros. officially, and would only hold on that channel.

The only edit--if it counts as one--would be that the inverted order of the shorts in the American History episode holds in this as well. But that change was made on the second airing. So I think we can assume that any retakes that were cut in after the first airings of any episode will be on future DVDs. And with that, now I'm off to dub my airing #1 copy of "Meet John Brain" to DVD.

The half-hour feature with Maurice was worth the wait just to see him burp.

10. Boy Wonder

Boy Wonder An old geezer from the north!

I know I don't post here a lot, but I found this thread and I am starting to add one out of my two cents. First off, I saw the DVD on Amazon and almost got it, but then the price increased, and realized I could go to Wal-Mart. Secondly, I have been waiting for this and P+B set to finally come out of the woodworks. This was half my childhood, and it heartens me that WB listened and got these shows to the DVD transfer. I don't know when I'll get them, but I will at some point, and I will be LOL'ing at them.

11. SB20xx

SB20xx Oooooh!

It was cool to hear from Sherri Stoner.

12. Anniemaniac

Anniemaniac Totally insaney

Well, i searched high and low today for the DVD but had no luck.. guess they forgot about the UK :( Animaniacs has british fans too ya know...

Oh well, that's where Ebay comes in. Sent the money off for it today so hopefully i should get it pretty soon. Just hope they work properly on my DVD. :shrug:

13. MacGyver

MacGyver Active Member

Nice set. I've only sikmmed it thus far (I've still gotta finish up Brisco County Jr. from last week), but the featurette was nice. I really wish there were some commentaries, but the featurette did the job. As long as the featurette on the next set is the same length (but hopefully it'll be longer) I'll be happy with the lack of commentaries if it happens again.

14. Peter Paltridge

Staff Member Moderator

VERY cool.

Okay, I found the perfect way to check for edits: the line "where the sun don't shine on 'em" is in Slappy Goes Walnuts. They're unedited all right! :D

15. ToOn~g@l

ToOn~g@l Just singin' the blues

"Bumbies Mom" Is in this one! I forgot how funny it was until I saw it again. Man I miss seeing cartoons throw bombs at each other. I would watch it all tonight but I don't think I can sit through them all.

16. Wonder Woman

Wonder Woman Well-Known Member

I asked this over in the thread for the Pinky & The Brain: Volume One DVD but I'll ask it here too. Is there any order to the episodes on this release or are they just 25 or so random episodes?

I will admit it was so great to watch some of these episodes again and it just brought back so many memories. Stuff like the "It's a Great Big Universe" song and "52 States and their Capitals" song are just so classic.

17. Fifi Fanatic

Fifi Fanatic Certified Skunkologist

First of all: I'm back from vacation. :)

Anyway, these are great. Just having A! on DVD was good enough, but the half-hour featurette was more than worth the cost of the DVD. :cool: Rob and Jess can still do "Yakko's World" and "Wakko's America"! :D And of course, how does one top Maurice's burps? But, the lack of commentaries on individual episodes keeps it from getting a perfect five. ****1/2

The best thing was that one could go from the menu to the individual shorts in each episode. So, if you want to see "Les Miseranimals" but don't feel like "No Pain, No Painting", you can go straight to it. :cool:

And to answer Spider-Man, these are episodes #1-25.

18. Jonny Mack

Jonny Mack Member

"Slappy Goes Walnuts" was one of our first Animaniacs episodes for WB, and I REALLY loved Slappy's character ... and so I wanted this to be done particularly well. So I called John Williamson, in Toronto, and asked if he'd be able to animate a sequence for us. We sent him the "young Slappy" sequence, because it was a stand-alone section and he could do it any way he wanted - the more different from the rest of our animation, the better ... and yeah, he did a great job.

John had been one of Kennedy's top animators. Remarkable that you would have picked up on that.

19. Jaime_Weinman

Jaime_Weinman Member

I don't have this yet (not available in Canada yet, and Amazon hasn't sent it to me), but I noticed on the P&B set that one episode, "Napoleon Brainaparte," has the "shuddering" problem that some of the Batman episodes have as well as some of the Looney Tunes on volume 2 (like "Book Revue") -- freeze-frame it and you'll see the picture shudder/stutter. Are there any Animaniacs episodes that have this problem?

WB has really got to start giving its TV shows progressive transfers for DVD. This interlacing/shuddering stuff is really needless.

20. SB20xx

SB20xx Oooooh!

Oh wow, I didn't know that was actually sent to a KC animator; I just assumed it was done at StarToons. Well, if that short bit of footage was any indication, I'd agree he was the best KC animator.

Anyway, that entire short was good and all, but probably my favorite StarToons episode on this set was "The Big Candy Store". Though "Bumbi's Mom" was a close second. That was the first time I'd seen that short and I absolutely loved it. The facial expressions, the creative plot, the way Slappy breaks the fourth wall constantly with stuff like, "Can we scene dissolve before he throws up?"- it was just very well-done.

All right, enough with the suck-up comments. ;) This set also contains, IMO, the best Mindy & Buttons short ever made: "Cat on a Hot Steel Beam". There's just something about kids and heights that makes for great comedic tension, and the scene where Buttons keeps adding new floorboards in mid-air was classic.

As for "Pinky and the Brain", "Opportunity Knox" was definitely a highlight. "Call me Mr. Perkins!" "Battle For the Planet" was a nice send-up of the War of the Worlds, too, especially with the sly joke about Maurice LaMarche sounding like Orson Welles. ;)