1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

"Animaniacs: Vol. 3" and "Pinky & The Brain: Vol. 3" Coming in June!

Discussion in 'The Warner Bros. Club' started by John Pannozzi, Feb 28, 2007.

1. DarthGonzo

DarthGonzo Fourteen Years!

I doubt they'll ever release those on DVD.

2. Silverstar

Silverstar Rock the Dragon

Because Pinky, Elmyra and the Brain was one of the worst cartoons in recent history. The series was a bad idea that was (quite rightly) universally reviled by viewers and those who worked on the show alike. PE&B was so bad that it effectively ended Steven Spielberg and Warner Bros.' creative partnership (that show was to date the last WB/Amblin collaboration). So I doubt anybody would pay good money to see those episodes. Even if you got a DVD of Pinky, Elmyra and the Brain for free, you paid too much for it.

3. Goldstar Neo

Goldstar Neo Good Morning!

A better question is; why would anyone want to purchase a DVD of Pinky, Elmyra and the Brain? That's like requesting a DVD of Ishtar or Gigli. Warner Brothers will probably just keep that stinker locked away in the vaults forever, as they'd probably like to forget that the series ever existed and simply write off the whole experience as a bad dream. Personally, I wouldn't pay 30 cents for PE&B, let alone 30 dollars.

4. DarthGonzo

Silverstar...Blackstar...I still think you guys are the same person. :D:p

5. Darklordavaitor

Darklordavaitor Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Pinky, Elmyra, & The Brain, Roman Holidays, and the Happy Harmonies shorts all deserve to burn in cartoon hell not to be confused with Pinky & The Brain, The Flintstones, nad Tex Avery's MGM work IMHO.(Although the last one is debateable.)

6. chadhobbick

chadhobbick Member

Well I guess I will be the only one that will buy the remaining episodes when they come out on dvd as I'm sure they will. I know it was an atrocity that they added two of the most popular animated duos w/one of the strangest from Tiny Tunes, but come on, I didn't think it was that bad. I don't know why they added them together, but it could have been far worse or something.

7. Goldstar Neo

Honestly, the only way I could see PE&B being any worse is if watching the show gave people epileptic seizures. :p

I saw the commercial for the latest Animaniacs and Pinky and the Brain DVDs. The announcer said that this would be the final volume of P&B on DVD. It would seem that WB is just going to keep the Elmyra episodes buried underground rather than release them as a separate volume. I doubt that there'd be much of a demand for PE&B anyway. The show was so bad that of the 16 episodes produced, only the first 4 aired as it's own half hour format before being relegated to airing as one recurring segment in the 1st season of The Big Cartoonie Show. Unless you're such a die hard fan of P&B that you would want to own every single thing connected to the show, that's the only reason I could see wanting those eps on DVD.

Even Steven Spielberg reportedly thought PE&B was a bad idea. Everybody did, except for Peter Hastings, who wanted to use Elmyra in a series again. And Kids WB wanted the series to continue without 'trying to take over the world' as it's central theme. As evidenced by the lyrics of the shows' opening theme; "It's what the network wanted, so who are we to complain?"

#87 Goldstar Neo, Jun 23, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 24, 2007
  8. Darklordavaitor

Darklordavaitor Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

And that was the series' only good quality: The intro.

9. DarthGonzo

Not to nit-pick, but it's...

"It's what the network wants, why bother to complain."

10. takineko

takineko I can do that with a pancake!

For the same reason that us Sci Fi dorks dish out the money to buy bootleg copies of the Star Wars Christmas Special.

Its so bad, and rare, you just have to have it.

11. Leviathan

Leviathan "It's against nature!"
    Staff Member Moderator

I could see WB putting out Pinky, Elmyra and the Brain, if only because Pinky and the Brain has done well enough to be completed on DVD, and due to the popularity of the character's themselves, it would probably be less of a gamble than Road Rovers, or Histeria!

12. Peter Paltridge

Peter Paltridge Knows about rock people
    Staff Member Moderator

Yeah, that's what worries me: they put this out first on the strength of the P&B name, and when it doesn't sell, they take it as a sign that the WB 90's animated shows aren't selling well anymore, and don't release the rest of them.

13. Dogbert

Dogbert I Don't See Gravity

I don't see that being a problem. The people who make these decision (generally) aren't the sharpest tack in the box, but they aren't stupid either. They've got six successful releases behind them and another extremely likely release (A! Vol 4) that will also do well. Also, they have Tiny Toon Adventures on the radar for 2008. I doubt one flop out of 11-13 releases would be a problem.

Personally, I'd pick up PE&TB during the semi-annual DeepDiscount sale. Even with the drop in quality, it'd be worth the $15 I'd pay then if only as an example of how network executives can take a solid concept and screw it up with crazy ideas. I'd kind of like to hear the theme song's "It's what the network wants, why bother to complain" lyrics again anyway. Plus, I only caught the first few episodes, so I'd kind of like to see the rest of it...

14. chadhobbick

chadhobbick Member

See, if they put out PE&tB out on dvd and you don't buy it we won't get other properties, such as Freakazoid, Histeria, Road Rovers, or others. Stings in a way doesn't it.

15. Jave

Jave Beware of the SPLAT
    Staff Member Moderator Reporter

They're not.

16. John Pannozzi

John Pannozzi Still Gritty after all these years

Uh, no. Hastings thought adding a new character to the show was such a bad idea that he left Warners for Disney. Tom Ruegger is about the only staff member who I know liked Pinky, Elmyra and the Brain.

#96 John Pannozzi, Jun 25, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 18, 2007
  17. Goldstar Neo

Whoops! My mistake. I remember that it was one person on the staff who liked PE&B. I thought that it was Peter Hastings. Again, my mistake.

18. Jave

Jave Beware of the SPLAT
    Staff Member Moderator Reporter

Eh, by the time PE&B was concieved Hastings was long gone from WB. He left after season 1 of P&B because the higher-ups wanted to retool the show (keep the characters, but discard the whole "take over the world" thing). He gave a resignation letter and one last P&B script, which did eventually make it into the show.

19. Anthonynotes

Anthonynotes Active Member

Hmm....

Given it'd be only 16 episodes (2-3 discs), could see PEatB getting a DVD release----if, for no other reason than to make a few extra dollars from PatB, though a better reason would be for the sake of historical preservation---to have all of the mice's appearances available on video, esp. since the episodes haven't aired since "The Cat and Bunny Whatever's Punny Super-Size-Me Big Fat Hairy Deal Show" got axed 6-7 years ago.

That said, I agree PEatB stunk big time, save for maybe the Christopher Walken episode ("The Man From Washington")...

Guessing TTA is next in line for DVD box sets...

-B.

20. DarthGonzo

What if they released a three disc set, with the PE&tB episodes on two discs and Wakko's Wish on the third disc.

Heh, I bet everyone would buy that. Everything Animaniacs/P&tB on 8 DVd box sets.