1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

"Animaniacs: Vol. 3" and "Pinky & The Brain: Vol. 3" Coming in June!

Discussion in 'The Warner Bros. Club' started by John Pannozzi, Feb 28, 2007.

1. Harukuro

Harukuro Member

I think those three ducks look really cute.:anime: I heard that the show would have stared them but I didn't know what they looked like.

2. takineko

takineko I can do that with a pancake!

... I had almost forgotten...

edit::
    A friend of mine already has the DVDs, nearly a week early. I don't know how she got them, but what's up with that? >>

#62 takineko, Jun 11, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 14, 2007
  3. AnimatedSnow47

AnimatedSnow47 Active Member

4. Peter Paltridge

Peter Paltridge Knows about rock people
    Staff Member Moderator

Okay, could someone find a way to contact the guy at DVD Talk and have him correct this?

No, technically that WAS the last Pinky and the Brain episode. It was more of a reunion for the other characters. Kids WB showed it as an "Animaniacs Special" but it was shown as a P&B episode afterward.

5. Spike Mcdougal

Spike Mcdougal The Legendary Outlaw

That episode is on there!?!

Cool, I've waited eight years to see Slappy and Plotz duel with "light mallets" again.

6. Jaime_Weinman

Jaime_Weinman Member

Two quibbles about the Animaniacs set (which I still very highly recommend):

1. As I sort of suspected would happen, "Les Boutons Et Le Ballon" doesn't have English subtitles. (The reason I suspected this is that when YTV showed Animaniacs in Canada a few years ago, they also had this cartoon without subtitles.) Actually, I think the cartoon works fine without subtitles, because there's not much dialogue and the dialogue is in very simple French -- but I thought I should mention it. And no, the Closed Captions don't translate what's being said.

2. The special features are not enhanced for widescreen TVs (unlike the last two sets) and they seem to be at a low volume level. These special features are some of the best yet -- though I wish Rusty Mills got to talk more -- but they could look and sound a lot better than they do.

Otherwise, a good set: some of the best episodes (the episodes made up of "leftover" cartoons, 67-69, are a bit weak, but the tail end of season 1 and the first episodes for the WB are extremely strong), and informative special features.

Let's hope "Freakazoid" is next, especially since Pinky and the Brain is finished and the next Animaniacs set will contain most of the weakest episodes (though I'll still buy it for "Back in Style" and a few others).

7. RonDrakenfan17

RonDrakenfan17 Luffy fan

I'm glad there releasing all the episodes of Animaniacs on DVD's in order. I'm going to buy all of them, 3 of the volumes for B-Day soon and the fourth one whenever that comes out for just a DVD for me :D
    I hope these are released soon on DVD now that there doing things like this;

. Freakazoid
    . Tiny Toons

8. Peter Paltridge

Staff Member Moderator

Now that's something I didn't know. Did Fox add the subtitles?

9. SB20xx

SB20xx Oooooh!
    Staff Member Moderator Reporter

Got the Animaniacs DVD today. Watching now.

The "4 o'clock tea time" joke in "Brain Meets Brawn" was used before in Tiny Toons's "And All That Rot". Otherwise it's a great short with fine TMS animation. It's actually one of my favorite P&TB shorts I've seen so far.

First time seeing "Meet Minerva" and it lived up to expectations (I'm not a furry but I can admire the way StarToons captured her sex appeal in this short!), though I actually think I liked the plot of "Moon Over Minerva" better. Was the hunter supposed to be Bill Clinton? Sure sounded like him.

"Gold Rush" overall wasn't that much better than any typical Wang effort but there were some small moments that were fun in an animation sense, like the houses bouncing up everywhere and some moments in the opening song.

Wow, Jim Cummings as a Winnie the Pooh-style narrator is really getting used a lot so far- first in "The Warners and the Beanstalk" and now in "A Gift of Gold". Actually "A Gift of Gold" has a lot in common with a couple Tiny Toons shorts which had inanimate objects in adventures, as well as Animaniacs's "White Gloves". Oh yeah, and the homeless father looks to be modeled after the man from the classic LT short "One Froggy Evening".

10. Peter Paltridge

Staff Member Moderator

There's one more time, and it's also on the DVD: "The Brave Little Trailer."

It's interesting how many times they aped the "tales of inanimate objects with feelings" with the Sterling Holloway narrations, because those were Disney cartoons, not WB.

11. HG Revolution

HG Revolution Truth (with crazy opinions!)

I never got that either. I mostly got to know Animaniacs from the old VHS tapes, so watching the full episodes on DVD, it's amazing how boring a lot of it is. On the second volume, it seemed that for every great Warners or Slappy cartoon, there was five Chicken Boos, Hip Hippos, or Disney-esque one-offs. The Warners and Slappy are funny because they make of the same type of crap that plagues the rest of the show outside of Pinky and the Brain (who are really in a league of their own over the rest of Animaniacs).

12. Goldstar Neo

Goldstar Neo Good Morning!

I agree for the most part, except that I personally have never been a big fan of Pinky and the Brain. They were OK as one recurring segment on A!, but I felt that giving them their own half hour series was pushing it. In the half hour format, P&B's shortcomings as characters and the limitations of the premise became all too obvious. My list of the hierarchy of Animaniacs goes thusly:

Yakko, Wakko & Dot
    Slappy Squirrel
    Pinky and the Brain

But that's the beautiful thing about watching a series on DVD or video; you can always fast forward or skip over the parts that you don't like. I own volumes 1 and 2 and I haven't watched a single Mindy & Buttons short yet. ;)

13. SB20xx

SB20xx Oooooh!
    Staff Member Moderator Reporter

Other thoughts on episodes viewed...

"Karaoke-Dokie" just may be my favorite StarToons short ever. All the inbetweens given to the Shatner look-alike really captured his personality and all the little nuances of the way he moves and talks came across in the animation. I love the part when the Warners replay the tape of him saying "Stop it!", taking it out of context.

"Woodstock Slappy" still makes me laugh hard, particularly the "Who's on First?" section. Excellent voice acting by Stoner and Ruegger- I don't know if it was edited after the fact or if they were in the same booth bouncing the lines off each other like that, but it's hilarious despite basically copying that act. And the TMS animation of Slappy gradually getting more and more annoyed, was well-done.

"Oh, Oh Ethel" was funny too, mainly for Slappy's comment: "Ethel MERMAN? I thought I was singing about Ethel Mertz. I'm outta here."

"Meet John Brain", classic stuff. All the citizens misinterpreted Brain's "take over the world" comments as helpful things he would do if he were president (like health care for the senior citizens)... I love it.

Was "Boo Knows" supposed to be a parody of a commercial in the mid '90s? I know it was a parody of Nike's "Just Do It", but I don't recall the "____ Knows" ads.

I was really surprised that the Rita & Runt short "Up a Tree" was as enjoyable as it was. It looked like a double-whammy: Freelance animation combined with one of my least favorite recurring sketches in the show, but the concept of Rita stuck up a tree is something I'm surprised hadn't been attempted before that. And the songs were fast-paced, not slow like they sometimes are.

"Wakko's Gizmo" was fun just for how elaborate the mechanism got, in addition to how everything lined up perfectly, like there would be a one in a million chance of the gag being executed successfully with all the factors to take into account.

But gah, Chicken Boo. One short was enough. It's the same punch line every time, even if the setting and characters are different.

14. Silverstar

Silverstar Rock the Dragon

It was a sendup of the "Bo Knows" Nike ads from the late 80s, centering on then pro athlete Bo Jackson, who played both baseball and football simultaneously.

15. Luna

Luna Daydreamer

I'm loving the Animaniacs set so far (also got Pinky and the Brain volume 3,but haven't watched any of it yet)....my favorite on the set so far is "Baloney and Kids"....alot of great dialogue in this one(and a couple dated Nancy Kerrigan/Tonya Harding jokes)....
    #########
    Yakko: Hey,is that cute girl coming back?

Baloney: I don't know what you're talking about...

Yakko: There's a shocker...

#######

Baloney: Let's play astronauts in outer space!!!!

Yakko: OK....our sensors show you're out of oxygen....

Wakko:Good-bye!

Dot: You'll be remembered as a hero....

Baloney: (gasping for air)...Ok,maybe we should stop pretending...

Yakko: Could be tough....We have VERY strong imaginations...
    ######
    Baloney:You're silly!!!!

Yakko: There's the pot callin' the kettle black...
    ######
    Baloney: Guess who I am!!!!

Yakko: Is it a big,fat,polyester dinosaur who's the color of an International House of Pancakes with a paper plate over his face?

Baloney: No,it's me!!!...Baloney!!

All three Warners: (fake surprise) You're kidding!!!
    ########
    Wakko: Are we being punished?

Dot and Yakko: Yes...
    #####
    I also like "Woodstock Slappy"....the "Who's on stage" parody of "Who's on First" still makes me laugh...

and the short where Scratchansnif is making Yakko look at inkblots is still a favorite of mine....

Scratchansnif: Girls!!!!,girls!!!,girls!!!!....You are obsessed with the girls!!!!

Yakko: Hey,you're the one showing me the sexy pictures!!!

"Les Boutons et le Balon"....is probably my favorite Buttons and Mindy cartoon(which isn't saying much,considering I'm not that fond of them)....I first started watching Animaniacs in high school,and the foreign language I was taking was French,so I was amused that they used actual French in the episode(as opposed to the "French" in the Pepe Le Pew cartoons)....even without the subtitles,I still understand the cartoon (of course,it helps that much of the dialogue is the same in every Buttons and Mindy)...I like the scene where Mindy's talking to the painter....

Mindy: Hi,Mister Man!!!...Whatcha doin'?

Painter: I'm painting the scenery...

Mindy: Why?

Painter: Because I'm an artist...

Mindy: Why?

Painter: Because it's easier than doing real work...

#75 Luna, Jun 21, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 21, 2007
  16. takineko

Finally got my DVDs in the mail today from Amazon.com and the first disc of my A! DVD skips the entire skit of Frontier Slappy.... >>

17. Jaime_Weinman

Jaime_Weinman Member

You mean it skips over it, or it's just not there? That's a hell of a mistake, if so (that cartoon is on my copy).

18. takineko

Right after the Giant falls down in the Beanstalk episode it says unable to read disc, and no mater what I do it just wont play Frontier Slappy.

19. Jaime_Weinman

Jaime_Weinman Member

One thing I noticed is that the set leaves out the title card of "The Warners and the Beanstalk." (For the record, the cartoon was written by Deanna Oliver and directed by Barry Caldwell, and the title card and music are the same as for "King Yakko.")

20. chadhobbick

chadhobbick Member

So why didn't WB just add the final PatB episodes w/Elmyra, are they that eager to make a buck? I'm sure they will charge us $30 for those final 16 episodes.