1. View our list of the Top 10 Characters That Need a DC Animated Film. Click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Animaniacs turns 25

Discussion in 'The Warner Bros. Club' started by Yum, Mar 7, 2017.

1. Yum

Yum Member

If new Betty Boop material is being made in THIS day and age, of all places:

Anything's possible...

2. Ando

Ando New Member

Betty Boop and Wabbit (Looney Tunes) are very different things though. They are classics. I personally like Animaniacs more than those, but objectively speaking, Animaniacs is not even close to what Betty Boop and Looney Tunes are, in terms of fame.

Animaniacs happened because it was the right time for it, same for Tiny Toons. They were exeptions because Looney Tunes was still famous even to that time, so they created these "spin offs" or "successors" or whatever you wanna call them. In the 90s, Looney Tunes was still around since forever and it was famous enough to make Tiny Toons and Animaniacs as new alternatives for the newer generations, but that's just it (unfortunately).
    Warner cartoons lost a lot of fame and success from the 00's, which is also when animation started being more and more digitalized, and the writting for all cartoons in general also changed to more edgy and very different drawing and motion styles (for the worse if you ask me). With this I mean that Looney Tunes also lost a lot of fame, most kids of today (even 15 year old kids and such) can't recognize most Looney Tunes characters. There are way more cartoons now than in the 90s and before and those old ones were quickly replaced, including classics like Looney Tunes.

"Wabbit" was some kind of adaptation. The creators obviously studied and knew how cartoons are today and made a kind of reboot of Looney Tunes but with animation styles and plots of today's cartoons in general, and it was a risky bet. It's not like in the 90s where Warner still produced Looney Tunes cartoons just like they did decades before with no problem, now they have to adapt to a very different world, they don't have the oportunity to produce Looney Tunes episodes with the benefit of it being a certain success like before, they are now struggling even with their classics, which means a spin off is impossible, well, not impossible but most probably counterproductive.

If in any future Looney Tunes makes it to be as classic and recognized by all generations as it was in the 90s, then maybe they will consider making successors or spin-offs again, but if you ask me, I think that will never happen again, and if it does, it will be in a so very long time that Animaniacs will be a forgotten precolumbian rotten ruin known by only few old people, so they will rather create a new successor.

Maybe I'm wrong though, idk, I'm just saying what all this deal looks like from my perspective. I hope I'm wrong, because I think Animaniacs was gold solid and adaptable to all generations and all kinds of reboots (except for Katie Kaboom, The hippos, probably godfeathers too, and a couple more that are either just very bad compared to the actual good ones or would just need bigger changes to addapt to today's standards).

[​IMG]

PS: Anyone know if there's a more active forum or forum section or something anywhere with a more active Animaniacs community than here?

#62 Ando, May 28, 2017
    Last edited: May 28, 2017
  3. Yum

Yum Member

I like how you see that the show has the ability to adapt to new generations. The main reason why I also wanted some sort of new Animaniacs stuff out is because I am growing tired of the same monotonous DC/Tom and Jerry/Scooby Doo movies they churn out currently. I feel that both Tom and Scooby have run their course, and are clearly not representative of the kind of work that Warner Bros. is known for. I also think that the staff remaining from Space Jam(Tony Cervone, Spike Brandt, Tom McClenahan, T.J. House, etc.) are very talented, but are wasting their time on these formulaic franchises trying to freshen them up. I wanted to make a new Animaniacs series to break up that monotony, and inject some fresh blood into a studio with some old characters that older audiences are familiar with, and the new generation will find interesting. Since their renaissance on Netflix, I think that a new Animaniacs movie/series would be a good way to capitalize on a new audience, as well as keep some of WB's beloved characters alive in the public eye. To prevent another inane Tom and Jerry crossover. To prevent another Teen Titans Go season.

The cast is large and diverse in Animaniacs, and have a variety of personality far beyond the range of Scooby, Fred, Daphne, and the like. The voice actors have proven to be alive and ready for a new project with these characters. The only thing stopping a new project is obviously, Spielberg's involvement with the show. Since he owns half the broadcast, distribution, and the rights to even make more stuff featuring the characters, it's the only road block to what would be another chance to reunite with these characters. I'm also depressed that these characters have missed out on the new animation techniques of the digital age.

Wabbit, is a step in the right direction, but it's not enough. Bugs Bunny can only do so much on his own, and the damage to his franchise had already been dealt, thanks to the mostly mundane sitcom, The Looney Tunes Show. Wabbit feels like it's trying to repair those wounds, but there isn't enough on the show to really drive home about on the level of, say, Gravity Falls and Phineas and Ferb. Now here's a franchise that still manages to be fresh, even today, that practically spells out what WB animation is all about, but nobody's taking a chance on it. And at a time when I think it's needed most. People liked Yakko, Wakko and Dot back then, let's see how they do with a new audience this time. I'm glad you see things my way,

and I will try to convince Spielberg and Ruegger to bless this project, find some talented people, and make this thing to tell people that WB animation is more than just the Scooby Doo/Tom and Jerry factory.

4. Ando

Ando New Member

Excuse my ignorance but you put yourself as an important piece in all of this but I have no idea of who you are. Have you worked in any of this before? Not questioning you, I'm just curious.

I'm a very amateur and newbie cartoonist (hell I don't even deserve that label yet) but to be honest, my biggest motivation in life right now is to keep studying art and animation to make my own animation some day. I'm only planning to do a 10 minutes approx fan animation of Slappy, with frame to frame animation and the style of one of the studies that animated this show (I don't know the name of the studies but my favorites are the ones that animated episodes like Baghdad Cafe and Woodstock Slappy).

Of course this is a very far dream for me so far. I'm not even close to making this possible this year nor in the next 5 years either probably, especially considering I will do this without recieving any money because I don't own the rights and I will do it just as a "tribute" or whatever you wanna call it. I hope I find some fans that could help me do it later if I actually keep up with it, but so far I'm only practicing drawing from almost the very bottom so there's a very long time ahead before I ever even start doing this. I actually sound like a regular fanboy with a complex plan that will never come true but I really want to do it so bad tbh. I loved that show and almost nobody know it today, not even people of my generation and I feel I owe it something. It's just sad to appreciate a 20 year old dead show a lot and seeing how dead it is today with almost nobody appreciating or even remembering about it. They deserve more.

5. Yum

Yum Member

It's actually almost 25 years, and in 5 more years, it'll be 30. I'm no more a fan boy than you are, one who's probably just going to mail a letter to the WB animation department describing how much of a dark phase they're in right now compared to the 1990s.

The people that worked on Baghdad Cafe and Woodstock Slappy in those days were obviously TMS during the 1st season of the original run, who did most of the most noteworthy episodes alongside Startoons and Wang Films(Cuckoo's Nest).

My plans for this nonexistent revival to break the Scooby Doo monopoly was a Direct to DVD film based on Animaniacs, utilizing the original voice talents, as well as incorporate fresh talent, like Joanna Davidovich(Monkey Rag)

and Harry Partridge

and most importantly, the writing talents of Doug Walker:

to inject some of that old-fashioned WB touch in a modern-day product, along the lines of 2011's Happiness is a Warm Blanket, Charlie Brown, without the use of WWE or an entirely unrelated franchise, but at this point, all I can really do is write, hope someone answers and hope for the best. Though I should probably give this up.

6. cristian12345678

in my opinion i think joana javidovich should be the one to develop an direct to video animaniacs cartoon
    she has potential in the animation business working for warner bros, disney ,cartoon network or nickelodeon

7. cristian12345678

i think animaniacs legacy is not dead. the legacy in the animation business and videogames lives thanks to wakko,the brain and doctor scratchsniff
    thanks to wakko ,brain and doctor scratchsniff
    we got crash bandicoot

and professor farnsworth from futurama

pd:joana javidovich has said shes a big fan of animaniacs in a youtube video but she s a free lance cartoonist(meaning that we dont know she does animation only for fun or is her job doing animation enyoing doing that)

#67 cristian12345678, May 30, 2017
    Last edited: May 30, 2017