1. We're giving away Twin Saga MMO Starter Packs on Twitter and Facebook!
    Go here to Follow Us and RT on TWITTER
    Go here to Like our page and Share the Giveaway Post on FACEBOOK
  2. Episode 13 of the Toonzone Podcast is live! Listen to it here: http://www.toonzone.net/toonzone-podcast-episode-13/

We discuss The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild, the Nintendo Switch, 20 years of Toonami, Toonami’s first era on Cartoon Network, the Adult Swim era, and what we’d like to see from Toonami in the future.

Dismiss Notice

Animaniacs turns 25

Discussion in 'The Warner Bros. Club' started by Yum, Mar 7, 2017.

1. Yum

Yum Member

I've done the math myself, and it has come to my attention that Steven Spielberg's Animaniacs is going to turn 25 years old by next year. 2018 also marks the show's twentieth year of hiatus. Ever since Scoring Session and Wakko's Wish, there has never been any acknowledgment of the show's existence outside of poorly made video game tie-ins, despite the show gaining over 1 million views, sharing a demographic of both kids and adults

Having said that, I feel that something must be done in order to commemorate the beloved nostalgic show's anniversary, like a couple of micro shorts, or a new short film, somewhere along those lines; at this stage in the game, if a new Animaniacs season were produced, by the time that came out, the show would be pushing its 30th anniversary.

I feel that this show is long overdue for new content, while other franchises(Tom and Jerry, Scooby Doo) have been allowed to maintain relevance, each new entry more redundant than the last. Let's give the greenlight to an old show that actually deserves it. If The Simpsons is allowed to live for this long, why not Animaniacs? Out of Spielberg's cartoon line-up(Tiny Toons, Freakazoid, Histeria, Transylvania), Animaniacs and Pinky and the Brain seemed to leave a lasting impression upon audiences of the 1990s. I just hope this small return to the mainstream will pique the 21st century's audience's curiosity, and rouse up enough public interest to then do a full-scale reboot like DuckTales 2017 or Powerpuff Girls 2016. To accomplish this feat, I want to hand write, or email, or tweet Sam Register, or Steven Spielberg, or a related Warner Bros executive personally to let him know about this travesty. How would I be able to do that?

2. cristian12345678

tom ruegger(animaniacs s creator) is in the loud house(nickelodeon tv show)

this is it,the first episode in which tom ruegger is the writer:
    http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0749161/#writer
    episode segment written by tom ruegger:"Patching Things Up"

pd:about animaniacs if they want a reboot,all depends if they will show it on boomerang(cable or via streaming) or cartoon network
    if they back,i hope the characters dont have the same personality that they have in the 90s,
    i hope they return more violent and zanier than the previous show
    no educational content
    one of the warner siblings should be the voice of reason(scratchsniff doesnt count)
    http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/ComicTrio

#2 cristian12345678, Mar 8, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2017
  3. wonderfly

wonderfly Say yes!
    Staff Member Administrator

"Wakko's Wish" was 1999. I guess that was the last year of new Animaniacs material, right?

But if they didn't do anything for "Tiny Toons" 25th anniversary, I just don't think they'll do anything for Animaniacs...

4. cristian12345678

SO WARNER BROTHER ACTITUDE FOR A REBOOT OF A 90S CARTOON SHOW(ANIMANIACS TINY TOON)
    IS THIS

5. jaylop97

jaylop97 Commonly found at Night

I think that its better that it doesn't return yet. I think if it returned it would be TTG 2.0.

6. Yum

Yum Member

I just don't think Tiny Toons is as relevant to the public as Animaniacs is; the most folks will remember is Buster and Babs and that's it. At least Animaniacs proved that the characters, world and theme song had staying power. The Warner trio doesn't look like a rainbow colored version of Bugs Bunny, and their similarity to 1930s Mickey Mouse would appeal to kids more. Besides, it's unfair to ignore this highly successful show while endlessly reviving others whose formula has begun to grow tiresome. I want WB animation to acknowledge that this show exists and create new content to keep them fresh in the public's eyes.

7. Yum

Yum Member

Besides, why does near everyone here think that the Warner kids should dissapear from the public consciousness? It's not like I'm asking them to do the same formula again, I just want to see these characters back again.

8. Frank Coufal

Frank Coufal Member

Well, I'm open to seeing a theatrical all-animated film or a series of theatrical shorts like the ones starring Roger Rabbit.

9. Yum

Yum Member

I was going for something cheaper, like a half hour made for tv animated special/documentary, or 3-5 minute micro shorts, at best...knowing how expensive and time-consuming animation is compared to the show's obscurity...

• Like Like x 1
    #9 Yum, Mar 10, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2017
  10. Emperor Fred

Emperor Fred Grand Nabob

The way I've heard it, it is the partnership between Amblin/Spielberg and WB that no longer exists that has kept any new Animaniacs stuff from happening... well, that has made it legally tricky. WB can't just decide "Hey, let's make a new Animaniacs!" the same way they can say "Hey, let's make a new Bugs Bunny!" or "Hey, let's make a new Wacky Races!" or even "Hey, let's make a new ThunderCats!" because they need to have Spielberg's complete blessings first. And by blessings I mean approvals and contracts and lawyers. It's not impossible, and in light of a significant anniversary it shouldn't be ignored, but it is certainly not easy. It's the same thing with Disney and any Roger Rabbit-related stuff.

On a separate topic, I commented recently to some friends in my age group that Animaniacs is as old to kids now as The Flintstones was to us when we were kids. Man, how time flies!

• Like Like x 1
  11. cristian12345678

in looney tunes in universe ,warner siblings are "the scrappy" in which no one wants to works with them (like john k in real life) because they find the warners anoying in not a funny way thats why dot warner in universe now just drinks in a bar(said by his creator tom ruegger the part now just drinks in a bar) and now they are unemployed

pd:wb/amblin entertainment will team up for "ready player one" film

12. Yum

Yum Member

Do you think there would be a chance to ask Spielberg and WB to make new Animaniacs content to commemorate the show's 25th birthday?

13. cristian12345678

i just saying that animaniacs dont have the same impact in today world as other 90s tv shows: like dexter lab,cow and chicken,courage the cowarldy dog,hey arnold,rocko s modern life
    ,im weasel,johnny bravo,2000s tv shows like billy and mandy,samurai jack(in terms of storytelling) or films like the aveners,or classics like the looney tunes and tom and jerry
    people in the world fondly remember pinky and the brain tv show than animaniacs(in tv shows,realitys, other cartons,videogames,references in other shows pinky and the brain is mentioned)

#13 cristian12345678, Mar 11, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2017
  14. Yum

Yum Member

I guess you're right...but I don't think it's fair that so many other things are being rebooted and Animaniacs is being ignored. Out of all the nostalgic series today, you'd think they'd have something special planned...especially considering the fact that it's turning 25 next year...

15. cristian12345678

maybe they would do animaniacs live
    another thing :animaniacs along tiny toons are less impactful because they were created as replacements of the looney tunes in that time becaus in the 90s steven spielberg didnt want to create a younger version of looney tunes

besides theres an animaniacs reboot and the name is ducktales(2017)

#15 cristian12345678, Mar 20, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2017
  16. SFSnaggle

SFSnaggle Member

Animaniacs is 25 already? Well that makes me feel old.

17. SFSnaggle

SFSnaggle Member

Animaniacs is 25 already? Well that makes me feel old.

18. cristian12345678

i idea for them in a posible reboot is their personality change a bit:

yako:after the original show ends,he be becomes a bit more of a jerk("its all about me" personality) but still care for his siblings
    dot:more narcisitic than the original show

wakko:the same personality after the show ends,only more zanier than before

19. Ando

Ando New Member

Sometimes I feel like saying this show is amonghst the most underrated shows I've seen. Yeah, it was popular and all, but when it ended, nobody mentioned it ever again. It seems to have died pretty fast and tbh I've never heard of the Slappy Squirrel mini series which is by far my favorite of the show, I think it was awesome but people hardly remember it (most don't), so it's very sad, really.

About a reboot... I don't want to be that guy, but I don't think a reboot would be any good nowdays, I think it would be pretty bad. Cartoons today are more "politically correct" similar to how it was in the 80s. Animaniacs was one amongst many other revolutionary cartoons in the 90s that broke that rule, aiming it to both kids and adults with many kinds of humor, and not to mention the visual quality. Animation in general has gone to shit tbh. Decent animations today are rare exceptions, most shows aim for very safe kinds of humor and the smiplest visual styles and animation. You can compare 90's Simpsons with today's Simpsons and you will see the difference. I'm don't want to sound like a hipster, but today's Simpsons are shit compared to the 90's Simpsons, both visually and in comedy (although the comedy topic in The Simpsons is pretty different from the Animaniacs kind of comedy so I won't compared them that strictly, but the point is the same, kinda).

In short, if Animaniacs was reboot'd today, the animation would be so lame that it would be literally a lot less funny (This is a show where comedy is very related to motion in many aspects, aspects that are lost in today's cartoons), and the comedy would be different, for the worse imo. A lot of what made Animaniacs the way it was is nowdays considered offensive for a kid's show, and they are not rebooting it as an adult show either obviously, because that's not just how it works.
    So if they wanted to do a remake, they literally wouldn't be able to do it because society wouldn't allow it today. And an Animaniacs show adapted to today's standards of cartoons would be shit.

All I can hope for is a supposedly kind of "next generation" of animation, the same way it changed from the 80s to the 90s, but from now to who knows when, if ever. I still have hope this can change, and I hope it's soon.

20. cristian12345678

its true,but wb is not the case in terms of showing "politically correct" cartoons.they can put sexual innuendo in cartoons if they want.they are not cartoon network(adoult swim dont show politically correct cartoons ),nickelodeon or disney.
    i insist about those characters because that characters dissapear in 1999 and nobody mention them again,in my childhood i thought they will be appearing alongside the looney tunes.(warners siblings/ daffy duck cartoon in wich the warner siblings annoy daffy duck)we have a funny reaction about how he can react to the warner siblings in duck dogers.in PIG PLANNET he says to porky about the warners disguised as pigs furious"GET THOSE PRECIOUS LITTLE PUNKS,OFF MY SHIP".

and freakazoid can work very well nowadays because we live in an era superheroes movies and a lot of the jokes showed in that show kids can understand it now and is easy made fun of dc/marvel superheroes movies nowadays(example mentioning stan lee, comic cons,mark hamill,jokes about other superheroes,etc
    everyone are in the internet now ad the change of animation is litle check this out if you dont know freakazoid or seeing what are you talking about