1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

Animaniacs: Still Animany, Still Totally Insaney after 15 years

Discussion in 'The Warner Bros. Club' started by Nexonius, Sep 13, 2008.

1. Zen Man

Zen Man Active Member

Man where does the time fly? Its too bad Warners doesn't attempt any new DTV projects with the Warner sibs and for that matter the Acme Loo crew.

2. Silverstar

Silverstar Rock the Dragon

I think they'd need to work out some sort of deal with Steven Spielberg in order for that to happen, since the TTA and A! characters are co-owned by him.

3. ShadowDemon

ShadowDemon Member

I don't think they could, as I said upthread. Times have changed, and "dual layered" writing (one layer for the kids, another for older viewers) is out of fashion now.

Animation in the 90s and early 2000s was an experimental 'push' against the "kiddification" movement of the late 80s. We've fallen back towards that in the last couple of years though.

4. Silverstar

Shows like Nick's Spongebob and CN's Chowder and Flapjack each work on more than one level, so I wouldn't call the general audience cartoon an extinct species.

5. ShadowDemon

ShadowDemon Member

I can't speak about the last two (haven't seen them) but what I saw of Spongebob was utterly unimpressive from a writing standpoint. Hardly a good comparison to the wit and sophistication behind A! or Tiny Toons...

6. Goldstar Neo

Goldstar Neo Good Morning!

You may not personally care for SpongeBob, but the fact remains that the series is enjoying an immense popularity and is enjoyed by both kids and adults alike. Therefore, it is still possible to have an animated series that's aimed at children yet succeeds on more than 1 level.

7. Taco Wiz

Taco Wiz The Loyal Order of Stupids

Order it online. As a reminder, have two windows open. One with this post, and the other with either Amazon or eBay.

8. John Pannozzi

John Pannozzi Still Gritty after all these years

I have to say I feel that Animaniacs jumped the shark with The "Please Please Pleese Get a Life Foundation" episode. As a kid, I didn't know what to make of the episode. Hearing that Yakko's World was inaccurate was like someone stomping on my childhood. The Please Please Pleese Get a Life Foundation was a funny episode, but it's meta-humor was lost on me as a kid, and after that episode, I didn't pay as much attention to Animaniacs as before.

9. Peter Paltridge

Peter Paltridge Knows about rock people
    Staff Member Moderator

Too bad for you; I loved that one. I got it completely. I was one of the few who actually noticed the "BH90201" equation on Brain's chalkboard and to actually hear that mistake mentioned aloud blew my mind. And the fat guy said Yakko only got Tibet wrong, so don't take it so personally.

10. Framwinkle

Framwinkle Crazy Squirrel

I didn't see that episode until I got the DVDs, so I can't tell you what I might have thought about it back when it first aired. But now, as a long time fan of the show, I loved that one. It could also apply to so many fandoms. :)

11. LoneToonman

LoneToonman Member

Classical animation in a modern era done well. What more is there to say really?

12. Keeper

Keeper Active Member

Ah, but did you catch that he was wrong when he said that it says BH90201, because actually it says BH91210?

Jay Maynard did instantly, and pointed that out as soon as the episode finished playing when the WB crew played it for us during our visit.

...but I think that was intentional! heheheh...

13. All Star Blitz

All Star Blitz What the heck am I doing?

I watched Animaniacs for a while when I was 6. I got tired of it quickly because the sheer insanity was too much for me. I've said it before, but "bologna in our slacks" and "Hellooooooooooo nurse!" still bug me 15 years later. There's another line that irks me worse because about six kids in grade school used to tease me with it. I won't say it because it still bugs me, but I'll say it was near at the end of a lot of episodes.

Looking back now, I can sort of appreciate the animation style and some of the adult humor, but some of the silliness just kills it for me.

14. Ricia

Ricia Gender confused evil

Animaniacs....wow. If I could thank a cartoon I'd certainly have to thank this one. At the time my two best friends and I were obsessed with it. We even called each other Yakko, Wakko, and Dot. I was Yakko. :D We'd rush to their house after school and watch it. It was always entertaining and sometimes you even learned stuff. So thanks A! crew for being dang awesome.

15. Cartman

Cartman Flute Player

I started watching this show when it first came out in 1993 (I was in sixth grade at the time). I loved it. I even started taping episodes of it (and practically had every episode on VHS tape). Later on, however, I lost interest in the show. Recently, I've come to enjoy it again. Now that I'm older, I understand some of the more "adult" jokes in the show (e.g. One cartoon has a character tell the Warners to "give him the bird" and Yakko replies, "We'd love to really, but the Fox censors won't allow it."). I really should look into buying the DVDs.:yakko::wakko::narf::brain::dot::scratchy::nurse:

16. Brad12

Brad12 Active Member

lol funny from what the kid u quoted said. I never could tell if it was 90210 or 91210 lol

17. Wakko

Wakko New Member

Kids WB

I wish the whole kidsWB was back.

18. Silverstar

Kids' WB is dead, kaput, over, and in its' last years, it wasn't all that great.

-Anyways, this has nothing to do with the topic. Please refrain from making off-topic posts.

19. MattieShoe

MattieShoe Member

I really never liked Kids WB.

It started off with some great shows, but it seemed to suck all the fun out of them as time went by.That's what Corporate interference can do to a show.

From First-Season Animaniacs to Histeria in just three years. oh boy.

20. DarthGonzo

DarthGonzo Fourteen Years!

Three?

Do you mean third season Animaniacs?