1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

Animaniacs: Still Animany, Still Totally Insaney after 15 years

Discussion in 'The Warner Bros. Club' started by Nexonius, Sep 13, 2008.

1. Nexonius

Nexonius Ten, count em', ten years!

Yakko. Wakko. Dot.

3 Looney siblings that were supposed to be Warner Bros animated stars in the 1930s, were locked up in the Water Tower. You'd think WB would be safe, right?

They were wrong.

In 1993, they've escaped the Tower, which had them making mayhem at the WB Studio lot, including people like Dr. Otto Scratchansniff, the Warner's psychic doctor who gave it his all by helping, Thaddeus Plotz, the President of WB who can't stand them at all, Ralph The Guard (formerly of Tiny Toon Adventures) and countless others.

But it wasn't all about them.

There were other Looney co-stars in the show, like former co-stars Pinky and The Brain (who had left the show in 1995 for their spinoff and again with Elmyra in 1998), Chicken Boo, Buttons & Mindy, Rita & Runt, Katie Ka Boom!, and Minerva Mink.

Throughout its 5 year run, Animaniacs were on Fox Kids from September 13, 1993 to late August-early September 1995 and the defunct (online now) Kids' WB! from September 9, 1995 to 2000 (if you count 1999 and 2000 as the Big Cartoonie Show).

2. Jayngfet

Jayngfet RAWR!

Damn, I miss that show.

3. Baltofan

Baltofan Active Member

I miss it too.

4. Kazuya Prower

Kazuya Prower Keeping it Tails since 2005

I wish they were back. :crying:

5. Silverstar

Silverstar Rock the Dragon

I know it'll never happen, but in an ideal world, I too would like to see Animaniacs return, provided they were to shave off some of the unnecessary fodder and the less-than-stellar characters and segments: namely, Mindy & Buttons, the Hip Hippos, Katie Ka-Boom and all of the Disney wannabe shorts ("Wings Take Heart", "The Flame", "The Brave Little Trailer", "No Time for Love"). Not to mention the 'meh-ness' that was Chicken Boo; some of the Boo bits were OK, some were just "Why do they keep making these?"

Animanaics would've been close to perfection if it featured only the Warner sibs, Slappy Squirrel, Pinky & the Brain, and the Goodfeathers. JMPO, though.

6. MattieShoe

MattieShoe Member

Mindy and Buttons could've been good, but they always seemed to toss it to the worst writers and the wost Animation studios.

and Chicken boo could do with looking less anthropomorphic. That'd make it even more absurd and hilarious every time people buy his disguises.

7. dth1971

dth1971 Active Member

You forgot Slappy Squirrel!

It was a decade ago that the last Animaniacs episode (The Scorring Session and The Animaniacs Suite) was produced and aired on Kids WB along with the final Pinky and the Brain episode called Star Warners which guest starred the Animaniacs cast.

8. DarthGonzo

DarthGonzo Fourteen Years!

Who forgot Slappy? Silverstar did indeed mention her.

That's nice and all but how about for once sharing your own feelings and opinions about something instead of regurgitating facts that I think everyone here already knows. Either way, I can't believe it actually has been a decade already.

9. tb4000

tb4000 Active Member

I feel old as a mofo, man. I remember being in school and hearing about the first premiere of Animaniacs, getting home at about 2:30 and seeing De-Zanitized for the first time, then Nighty Night Toon and The Monkey Song, the latter two of which included the debut of most of the supporting cast of the show. We actually need a show out now that has the biting comedy of this show that skewers pop culture and our current celebrities.. The closest thing we have now is Family Guy, but....meh.

10. Silverstar

If you're referring to me, no I didn't. Viz:

^There she is.

11. John Pannozzi

John Pannozzi Still Gritty after all these years

I think he's referring to John Dorian.

12. J. B. Warner

J. B. Warner Increasing my wordiness

I'd been trying to think of a way to say this to him for months - thank you.

Anyway, I only have the vaguest memories of watching "Animaniacs" during the time when it was airing on Fox Kids (and never of my own accord - it was always on at a friend's house or something), and I didn't get the WB for its first couple of years, so I missed out on much of the show from 1995 until approximately 1998. Most of my experience with the show was through the reruns on Nicktoons TV when I was in high school - which is a shame, 'cause "Animaniacs" is yet another aspect of my childhood that I feel I didn't get to experience to the best of its ability. (I should have taken my family's advice and watched something other than Nickelodeon for eight years.) Thank God for the DVDs!

13. Fifi Fanatic

Fifi Fanatic Certified Skunkologist

15 years already? Egad! Where does the time go?

Animaniacs was a true variety show. You really didn't know who or what was coming up next. It couuld be one of the regular characters or it could be one of the little quick mini-bits. Each episode was like a party that you just didn't want to see end. At least we knew the party would start again the next day.

I salute you, Animaniacs. We'll probably never see another one like you again...

14. ShadowDemon

ShadowDemon Member

Animaniacs will never return because the tides of studio tastes and standards and practices will not allow a "kids' show" to have that level of adult humor written into it...

15. Silverstar

Eh, the series simply ran its' course. As I recall, they were kind of reaching for plots and jokes towards the end. However, it had a good run, and unlike most good cartoons from this era, A! is available on DVD, so we can savor the memories (except for the elusive volume 4, of course).

16. dth1971

dth1971 Active Member

But we are still waiting for Animaniacs DVD set Volume 4 to get the green light...

17. Silverstar

Which is why I said, "except for the elusive volume 4".

18. ShadowDemon

ShadowDemon Member

I never said it should or shouldn't have been cancelled...I was responding to a post up thread that said it should be brought back, giving what I beleive is the primary reason why such couldn't happen.

Animainiacs (and to a lesser extent TTA) took advantage of a unique period of time where the "envelope" was more amenable to being pushed, just like the "Timm-verse" did with STAS/BTAS/JL/JLI.

Times have changed, and studios have returned to a more restrictive stance on what is and isn't acceptable for animation aimed at kids and teens.

19. tb4000

tb4000 Active Member

And when they do push it these days, it's more blatant, like Billy and Mandy.

20. bhermies

bhermies Member

I always keep on telling myself I am going to get this show on DVD but then I usually forget or cant afford it or when I do rember the store will be out. I will rember them one day.