1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

Animaniacs reboot rumors.........

Discussion in 'The Warner Bros. Club' started by DaffyDonaldQW93, Apr 26, 2015.

1. DaffyDonaldQW93

There's so much demand for an Animaniacs reboot that I really want those rumors to be put to rest.............

With all of the reboots being planned and on the air (plus on the screen) I'm not sure if one of my favorite childhood cartoons would do well.

Season 1 was gold there's no way they can top that (allthough there are gems from the Kids WB seasons).

2. Narfpinky

Narfpinky ~splash~
    Staff Member Moderator

I don't read much into rumors because it's often hard to find a credible source to back one up. I just end up ignoring them.

There are some shows that have had a good reboot lately, naturally there is a wide range of opinions by fans. I would have mixed feelings about an Animaniacs revival. It would be different, potentially a bad thing, but who knows if it could have some good, too. If it is targeted at the kids' market(my assumption), it most certainly won't be written anything like how we all remember it. There's just too much scrutiny on kids' TV shows.

3. Silverstar

Silverstar Rock the Dragon

Here's the rule of thumb that I follow: if the "news" isn't coming from Warner Brothers Animation or Amblin Productions, then it's a rumor, not a report.

I still contend that too much time has progressed for anyone to try and revive Animanaics; it would be next to impossible to get all those people back (voice actors, writers, directors, animators, etc.) and recreate that same magic all over again. A! just happened at the right time for it to happen and lightning rarely strikes twice in the same place. At the very, very most, maybe, emphasis on maybe, WB could try giving 1 or 2 of the segments from A! spinoff shows (I'd love to see a Slappy Squirrel series) or launch an all-new animated variety series done in the spirit of A!, but with all new shorts and a new cast and crew at the helm.

4. Alan_Gabriel

Alan_Gabriel Member

I sincerely doubt it, seeing as how most of the important crew behind Animaniacs are busy with the 7D, and from what I understand that's been doing quite well. Plus, I think if anybody were to break the secret, it would probably be YakkoPinky himself, Rob Paulsen, on his Talkin Toons podcast, and he hasn't said squat about it. Plus, Rob and Randy Rogel are probably busy planning another Animaniacs Live! concert.

5. reflection01

reflection01 Well-Known Member

Any new Animaniacs would be helmed by people who grew up watching the old Animaniacs. I'd love to see an Animaniacs take on modern culture.

6. Alan_Gabriel

Alan_Gabriel Member

So then do a brand new show that is a spritual successor to Animaniacs, rather than some half-baked, inferior reboot. This sounds more like pie in the sky wishful thinking than actual news.

7. ILDC

ILDC Active Member

I don't see Spielberg or Sam Register's WBA being involved either. Spielberg has a lot of film projects on his hands, while WBA is too focused on coasting on brands like Scooby-Doo and Batman.

8. firefoxprime

firefoxprime 90s = Golden Years

What is Sam Register even doing nowadays...? Yeah his job of course, but the man made a clear point in regarding many many many many WB series coming down the pipeline (during his keynote for GL:TAS, ThunderCats, and TLTS).

The pipeline looks pretty dry atm.

9. ILDC

ILDC Active Member

^The guy is now also overseeing live-action online content for WB, so I'd say he's pretty busy.

10. dth1971

dth1971 Active Member

I wouldn't mind an Animaniacs reboot, but what about a Tiny Toon Adventures reboot?

11. DaffyDonaldQW93

Tiny toons and Animaniacs don't NEED a reboot. Let the Animaniacs Super Special and Wakko's Wish be the last thing about Animaniacs to ever come out of WB.

I know there's lots of movies, shows, and events they could have lampooned or honored if it hadn't been cancelled, but people moved on from Animaniacs.

We have enough long-running cartoon series as it is (Simpsons, SpongeBob, Family Guy, etc.)

12. Zen Man

Zen Man Active Member

Well never say never in this crazy business.

If the Ducktales reboot proves to be a success for Disney, I wouldn't be surprised to see Warner Bros. and other studios look to revive some of their old shows.

13. ILDC

ILDC Active Member

Warner Bros. doesn't already revive some of their old shows?

14. dth1971

dth1971 Active Member

It happened to Looney Tunes - The 2012-2014 The Looney Tunes Show and the upcoming Wabbit.

There have been numerous Scooby-Doo revival series as well as different Batman animated series.

Seth "Family Guy" McFarlane even planned a Flintstones reboot some years back but withdrew plans for the time being.

15. Goldstar Neo

Goldstar Neo Good Morning!

Personally, I'd prefer it if Warner Brothers and Disney develop some new and original shows rather then devote all their time, money and effort into reviving a bunch of old shows.

16. Silverstar

Silverstar Rock the Dragon

The difference is none of those franchises have ever completely gone away. We haven't gone through a period of more than 3 or 5 years without some kind of new Batman or Scooby show. same deal with Looney Tunes; the shorts have endured and have turned up from time to time on various networks throughout the decades, with at least 1 new show, movie or something coming out at least once every few years. By contrast, WB/Amblin haven't felt compelled to keep up new productions with either TTA or A!, save for a few TV specials and DTVs, and the last one of those was at least a decade ago.

17. ILDC

ILDC Active Member

Disney TV Animation already produces a fair amount of original shows, while WB Animation seems to be letting Cartoon Network Studios handle all the network's new IPs.

18. Daffyfan2002

Daffyfan2002 $enior member

I could see a TTA reboot, especially if they brought back Charlie Adler as Buster. Hamton would have to be recast because Don Messick is no longer around, possibly Billy West who voiced him in video games. Just a thought.

19. John Pannozzi

John Pannozzi Still Gritty after all these years

Hey, here's an idea: why not have new TTA and Animaniacs comic books, be they graphic novels, miniseries, or ongoing series?

They could get veterans of the show like Paul Dini and Bruce Timm to come back, maybe have other cartoon/comic names like Mark Evanier and Scott Shaw! do some stories (if they're interested, that is), and have some of today's animation and comic book talent contribute. Could you imagine Scott Pilgrim's Bryan Lee O'Malley doing a story about Buster and Babs's relationship? Or even Dini, Timm and Mike Allred collaborating on a Madman vs. Freakazoid yarn?

DC probably wouldn't do it, but maybe there's a chance WB could license these properties to BOOM! or IDW?

Personally, I think these properties didn't get the best comic book treatment the first time around. In the USA, we only got a few TTA comics included in the short-lived TTA magazine, but a lot of stories (including one drawn by Spider-Man co-creator Steve Ditko) were only released overseas (eBay used to be lousy with issues of the UK TTA comic, but not as of late). And while the Animaniacs and Pinky & The Brain comics were good, they weren't quite good enough for me. What I mean is that in other cartoon-based comics (including certain issues of DC's own Looney Tunes comic) big names in the comic world sometimes contribute stories and art (especially the Simpsons Treehouse of Horror annuals), yet aside Dave Alvarez doing an Animaniacs story or two, I don't think too many notable people worked on A! and P&tB comics.

A lot of other 90s cartoons have gotten new comics in recent years. SLG did Gargoyles for a little, and then BOOM! did Darkwing Duck and such, and hopefully Joe Books is successful with their Disney Afternoon-related titles. And IDW did some fun stuff with the older CN properties. And Oni Press is about to do new Invader Zim comics.

I'd hate for the 90s nostalgia wave in comics to come and go without seeing anything Silver Age WB-related.

20. Saotome2U

Saotome2U Ohhh, FREAK OUT!!

I'd be completely on board for an Animaniacs reboot. Hell, I would have LOVED for them to have been on from the early 2000s what with so much material Britney Spears, George W. Bush, Howard Dean, Mariah Carey in Glitter, and J.Lo in Gigli they could have ragged on. I just think with a reboot, it should focus more on the Warner kids than the others. Wouldn't mind the occasional Goodfeathers, Minerva, Skippy & Slappy, Rita & Runt, Chicken Boo, Katie Ka-Boom, or Mindy & Buttons short (like once a month), but the Warners were the stars.

The thing is, the show would need to go to being a weekly thing, and not a daily thing. Why? For quality of the animation and hashing out the story/scripts. But they would need to bring back most of the team that is now working on the 7D like someone said earlier. I just would NOT want another 'The Looney Tunes Show' happening. That's what I would fear for a Tiny Toons reboot would become. As much as I loved TTA, Animaniacs amped up the quality of a good WB show.

Animaniacs and Freakazoid are the only 2 that I can see being good reboots, and only in weekly increments. They could even put 'em both side-by-side for an hour of WB zaniness. Well, here's to wishing some glimmer of truth to the rumors.