1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

Andrea Romano's Lessened Presence In DC Animation? (Update: Romano is officially retiring)

Discussion in 'The DC Comics Animation Forum' started by SweetShop209, Nov 25, 2016.

1. SweetShop209

SweetShop209 Well-Known Member

When it comes to DC Comics Animation, Andrea Romano is one of the most common names associated with it, but I've noticed how lessened her involvement is lately. The last tv show she was involved in was Beware The Batman (2013) while Justice League Gods And Monsters (2015) was the last movie she was involved in.

It's not unheard of to have a DC show where she's not the voice director, (or the primary one anyway) [The Batman" had Ginny McSwain as both the casting and voice director until season 4, where Ginny was a casting director while Andrea took over for voice direction. Legion Of Superheroes had Kelly Ward (season 1) and Susan Blu (season 2) as the voice directors], but the fact she has less involvement with DC these days is rather interesting. Here's what I mean.

1. The voice director for Young Justice is Jamie Thomason.

2. Wes Gleason has been the voice director for the films in the "DC Universe Animated Original Movies" Universe starting with Batman Bad Blood. He's also the voice director for Batman: Return Of The Caped Crusaders, the upcoming Justice League Action, and the Batman Unlimited movies and webisodes. He seems to be filling in for her as DC's primary voice director.

3. Lisa Schaffer is the voice director for Green Lantern The Animated Series, Teen Titans Go, and all the Lego DC Comics DVD movies and specials (excluding the 2013 Lego Batman movie).

4. Most of Collette Sunderman's voice directing credits for Warner Brothers are primarily for Looney Tunes shows like Duck Dodgers & The Looney Tunes Show as well as Hanna Barbera shows (mostly with Scooby Doo, The Flintstones, and Tom And Jerry Meet Sherlock Holmes to name a few). DC Superhero Girls marks the first time she's voice directed a DC cartoon.

With all this in mind, do you think Andrea Romano's presence in DC Comics is slowly being phased out, or is it just a coincidence? If so, why?

• Like Like x 1
    #1 SweetShop209, Nov 25, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 23, 2016
  2. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I think it was brought up in an interview that Andrea is looking to retire this year or in the near future, and as such is lightening her work load both in general and in terms of DC work.

I believe her current work with the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles cartoon on Nick, if she's still in fact working on that show, is the only series where she's currently the voice and casting director. At least it's the only one I'm aware of.

Though as for Young Justice, I believe Jamie Thomason is someone Greg Weisman often works with (and was part of the crew for Spectacular Spider-Man), so that was probably part of the reason Thomason worked on the show over Andrea.

3. the_joker

the_joker Active Member

Jamie Thomason has been Greg Weisman's go-to voice director as they both have also worked together on Gargoyles and The Spectacular Spider-Man.

I don't know what to say about the other choices, but I was surprised that Andrea Romano didn't work on GL:TAS since she worked on Timm's previous shows.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. SweetShop209

SweetShop209 Well-Known Member

She's also the voice director for a couple of Netflix shows: Turbo Fast, The Adventures Of Puss In Boots, and Voltron Legendary Defender

• Informative Informative x 1
  5. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Ah! I knew I was forgetting something. Yes, she is involved with the new Voltron :).

6. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

Romano did an interview in October this year and she's simply got a full plate outside of DC animation.
    FYI, the 'virtual reality thing' she alludes to I believe is the Batman: The Animated Series View-Master VR Experience Pack. She's voice directing that one with Kevin Conroy, Mark Hamill, Loren Lester, and Tara Strong and Timm and Dini were also involved.

7. Pfeiffer-Pfan

Pfeiffer-Pfan Makin' Whoopee!

Regarding the Batman Animated VR thing, Andrea also appears in it herself as the Bat-computer and managed to get Mari Devon back as Summer Gleason, which I thought was pretty cool.

As for her lessened presence, she did say she wanted to retire in five years time, around 65 years old to do some travelling, so she has to be even more selective than normal with her projects. She does seem to have a full plate and is even doing some video games and directed the recent Ratchet & Clank movie as well.

Also, she made almost 25 of those DC Universe movies, so its no wonder she wanted a change.

#7 Pfeiffer-Pfan, Nov 26, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2016
  8. Troy Troodon

Troy Troodon Well-Known Member

I admit, I'd definitely miss Andrea for her credibility, but it will at least give other directors a chance to carry on her legacy. I think Sam Riegel and Mary Elizabeth McGlynn would also make valid successors.

• Like Like x 1
  9. dmxx116

dmxx116 Well-Known Member

10. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

Romano is retiring this week from voice directing following her diagnosis of optic neuropathy in one eye, which has caused blindness in that eye. Though unspecified, the article ended saying she will remain active in the entertainment industry.

• Informative Informative x 2
  11. Greg91

Greg91 Member
    Reporter

I wish her all the best in her career and dealing with the ramifications of her diagnosis. She's done so much that I, and surely many others, can't thank her enough, including the cast and crew members of various shows and movies who worked with her.

• Agree Agree x 4
  12. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I was not aware of Ms. Romano's ailment. I wish her nothing but good health, peace, and happiness in the future, in gratitude for all the great work she's done over the years.

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. Wonderwall

Wonderwall Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

A well deserved retirement for her. Saw on Twitter Mark, Kevin Conroy, Susan Eisenberg, etc all tweeting their thanks and appreciation. She was awesome.

• Agree Agree x 3
  14. Otaku-sempai

Otaku-sempai Well-Known Member

Ms. Romano's contributions will be missed, but at least she is still around to share her insights and experiences. And to be appreciated by her admirers.

• Agree Agree x 3
  15. Pfeiffer-Pfan

Sad to think we won't be seeing her name on any upcoming projects. However, she has definitely earned this and I'm glad she will still maintain a presence in the industry (no doubt through cons and podcasts).

She was clearly amazing at her job and I hope she has many, many years of happiness ahead of her with her husband and friends.

This is the woman that gave us Kevin Conroy. She'll forever be a legend. Thanks, Andrea.

• Agree Agree x 3
  16. Otaku-sempai

Otaku-sempai Well-Known Member

At least there is the third season of Voltron: Legendary Defender which starts on August 4.

• Agree Agree x 2
  17. Pfeiffer-Pfan

I (shamefully) haven't been watching that show. I hear it's great.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Fone Bone

Fone Bone Matt Zimmer

Andrea Romano is a national treasure. She is to animation what Molly Ivins was to politics.

• Like Like x 1
  19. btgr

btgr Member

When I met Steven Yeun last June, I actually talked to him about Andrea Romano retiring.

• Informative Informative x 2