1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

An X-rated Popeye/Betty Boop cartoon....made by Fleischer!?!

Discussion in 'Back To The Inkwell - Classic Cartoons Discussion' started by J.E.Smith, Apr 14, 2003.

1. Sogturtle

Sogturtle Sophmoric Member ;o)

Jon and Thad~

I concurr with you both, and long ago did pass up the opportunity to purchase said cartoon. However I did see one of the ancient XXX comic "Dirty Little 8-Pager/Tijuana Bibles" featuring Popeye and Olive Oyl... Trust me, seeing Popeye AND Olive naked and ummmm "active" is a REAL stomach turner :eek:

A few months ago somebody on Ebay came up with a XXX 16mm print of Snow White and other characters (don't know its origin). Even the description was incredibly lurid. After a few days Ebay removed that auction.

2. Greg Method

Greg Method Square Dance Caller

One thing you guys need to know is that most if not ALL of Jim Hill's "insider" information is based entirely on rumors and conversations that may or may not have happened.

I'm not saying this thing doesn't exist, I'm just saying do NOT take Hill's column as a confirmation.

3. Sogturtle

Sogturtle Sophmoric Member ;o)

Greg~

I tend to agree with you largely (who in the Sam Hill is Jim Hill??;)). An uncomfortably high-percent of stories that I've read about the "Golden Age" of animation don't seem to square with known verifiable facts (I'm thinking particularly of another source besides our beloved Chuck Jones or Mr. Hill, but one who will remain nameless here, I hope).

Having said that, I reiterate that I never saw the Popeye and Betty XXX film but did see ads for such. Shamus Culhane in his autobiography wrote that during the high tension of the production of "Snow White..." that suddenly there was a mass proliferation of drawings depicting Snow White *(and or the dwarfs) engaged in all sorts of things most of us would have no desire to see, and that then it stopped just as abruptly as it had started. [Shamus' memory was sometimes in error]. I say that because Ward Kimball in interview back in the Seventies, stated that (behind Walt's back) they had created an entire hardcore XXX one-reel starring Snow White and the dwarfs, and that to his knowledge only one print of it had been made. He concluded by saying that the animators had swapped the sole print back and forth for parties for years and that then it suddenly disappeared. I can only wonder whether the Snow White that I mentioned on Ebay, in theory might have been it...

4. Bugsmer

Bugsmer Antediluvian

Aren't you the least bit curious? Popeye is famous for being drawn anatomically wrong. His forearms and wrists are bigger than his biceps and triceps together. His elbows jut out of his arms and his knees jut out of his legs. He can do indescribable things with his face. His teeth grip his pipe with the strength of an iron clamp. No punch has been known to make him bleed. No powerful blow, explosion or fall has ever broken one of his bones. The only person stronger than him is Bluto, and he's not much to look at. Riddle me this: if Popeye looks that strange with his clothes on, how might he look undressed? One can only imagine.