1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

American Nerd Culture: Comic Book Nerds

Discussion in 'Comic Book Culture' started by tereuo, Apr 4, 2017.

1. tereuo

tereuo Member

I'm going to start posting this segment called, American Nerd Culture. What I'm asking is, what does this particular nerdculture, mean to you? From, why it is a culture? To, what it means to be a nerd in said culture? How you or others interact or congratulate with other nerds within the same culture.

How do you like this culture or why do you dislike this culture?

Like & Share with your friends. Get friends who are involved in this culture to give their opinions and thoughts on what they like or dislike a certain culture. WITHOUT insulting those who are apart of the culture.

[​IMG]

2. Red Arrow :D

Red Arrow :D Proud Beneluxer

So far Calvin and Hobbes is the only American comic book I got into :sweat:

It has always puzzled me how there are so many DC/Marvel comic book fans. (although I never met one in real life) I am also a fan of some of their cartoons, but I find the comics very different. Too dark and not fun at all. I can imagine some people might love this, but SO many? That's just insane :D

3. JoeMabbon

JoeMabbon Dwarf-in-a-flask

You can only be a fan of something if it's fun.

4. Red Arrow :D

Red Arrow :D Proud Beneluxer

I dunno. American comics often tackle topics such as rape, addiction and murder. I wouldn't call that 'fun'. I would never describe drama as 'fun', not even drama I actually like. (The movie 12 Years as a Slave being an extreme example)

I also noticed how American comic books often use lines as some kind of shadow to make things look extra serious and dramatic. In European comics, lines often represent comical movement. (like this)

Sorry if I'm offending someone. That's not my intention.
    I'm basing all of this on the American comics I read / tried to read / saw online, in the library and in comic book stores. (They don't sell them in normal stores here)

EDIT: I forgot to say I'm planning to read the Samurai Jack comics, but these posts are about Marvel and DC.