1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

Amblin and WB in early talks for Animaniacs reboot

Discussion in 'The Warner Bros. Club' started by cristian12345678, May 30, 2017.

1. Yum

Yum Active Member

Speaking of Johnny Bravo, I was also hoping that one of the show's executive producers could be Van Partible; he hasn't had a good gig like this in awhile. His use of smear animation would be integral to contributing to that golden age aesthetic of the series, not to mention he's also a big Hanna-Barbera fan...

The animation supervisor would also be Joanna Davidovich, to preserve it's high quality, and the show's music should be handled by the Rayman composer, Christophe Heral, to take over where Richard Stone could not.

If it were up to me, maybe the animation should be done in-house as apposed to outsourcing; as expensive as it may turn out to be, the show could turn out a lot better if the actual grunt work were done here. Animaniacs was always a self contained short format, so in the case of a commercial break, a short would play. Plus, I know there are a lot of animators here who would be willing to work on a project like this:

I also think this new version of the show would benefit from being storyboard driven rather than script driven to focus more on the visuals and gag timing.

#61 Yum, Jun 12, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 14, 2017
  2. cristian12345678

i hope that animaniacs reboot(if gets the greenlight) could be a soft reboot

pd:soft reboot:Unlike a reboot, which discards all continuity in a franchise, a "soft reboot" relaunches and introduces a film, television, or video game series to a new generation of consumers while still maintaining continuity with previous installments in a franchise.

3. Yum

Yum Active Member

I just figured out why Tom and Jerry looked the way they did in the 2nd season of Tom and Jerry Tales:

4. cristian12345678

theres a big fan of animaniacs in warner bros

5. cristian12345678

heres tom rueguer s idea for animaniacs reboot for a character

6. Pilmedium

Pilmedium Active Member

It would be awesome if this show were revived. I was too young to watch it when it first came out, but caught re-runs and found them quite humorous. We could really use more of that in today's serious world, and while several newer shows have been released over the years, few of them capture the looniness that made Animaniacs special. I, for one, would watch it, and I don't watch much TV these days.

7. Yum

Yum Active Member

I love this show as much as the next guy, but since I've been taking to reading John Kricfalusi's Blog, and how much he detests this show, I've started to see his opinion that this is indeed a FAKE cartoon.

I mean, THINK about it! Most of the slapstick is reused from the classic Looney Tunes shorts of the 1940s/50s, the Warners themselves are really poor parodies of the barbell inkspot character design, there's not much unique expressions on the characters, little to no experimentation, most of the character animation tends to warp the character models frame to frame, poor attempts at making the adults laugh, because of poor attention to the poor character construction, cringeworthy dialogue, or, WRITER-SPEAK, the background art is trying really hard to evoke the 1940s style, and most of the animation is wasted on these lame scenarios like that one Wakko elevator episode; what I mean is that there are some scenarios in the show that really didn't need to have FULL fluid animation. It's just a sinfully watered down version of the real thing with animators who misunderstand and misinterpret the classic 1940s style.

And it's SCRIPT-DRIVEN besides.

Meanwhile, during Ren and Stimpy's early run, that show pushed the limits of children's animation, the usual 1940s jokes were pushed to the extreme, since John Kricfalusi was a stickler for detail, at times the episodes had more smoother animation than Animaniacs, like Sven Hoek, Royal Canadian Kilted Yaksmen, and Man's Best Friend. The slapstick isn't trying to evoke what came before, and instead tries shooting for new ideas. The show itself isn't trying to be a wanna-be WB 1940s cartoon, and instead makes up its own bizarre jokes, like Yak-Shaving Day, Powdered Toast Man, and Rubber Walrus Protectors. It didn't need to fill itself with TUDE-filled filler characters like Mindy and Buttons, or Goodfeathers. It doesn't try to reproduce the 1940s, it's trying to entertain you.

8. SB20xx

SB20xx Oooooh!
    Staff Member Moderator Reporter

...Mindy and Buttons are the Goodfeathers are 'tude characters?

9. cristian12345678

in the reboot,they should do what studio mdhr do with cuphead

in the songs they should do this as example 1:50
    [Link Removed]

#70 cristian12345678, Oct 6, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 9, 2017
  10. Yum

Yum Active Member

I mean, Mindy and Buttons seem like a ripoff Roger Rabbit cartoon, and all the Goodfeathers seemed to do is rip-off Goodfellas...

11. cristian12345678

what happens is that when animaniacs was released, the public in general was overdozed with hannah barbera shows so the show itself gives them the freedom to the writers
    now talking about the reboot,im sure it will be a premise driven cartoon like new looney tunes,eliminating some characters that they feel unnecesary
    the only ones they dont eliminate will be the warner siblings,pinky and the brain,buttons and mindy(buttons and mindy are spilberg s daughter favourite characters)
    and when you mention that they are fake cartoons that make me an idea for a story which will be the voice of that
    and they try to prove them they are worthy which dont work and that characters feels embarrasment being around animaniacs(real life example:chuck jones and friz freleng talking about tiny toons)

#72 cristian12345678, Oct 7, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2017
  12. zlens

zlens New Member

@Yum , I respectfully disagree with you in this matter, slapstick isn´t about to evoke anything, other that laughs, okay, there is more in cartoons that slapstick like social satire and the like but that is its function, if you look closely to vintage cartoons (or almost all cartoons for that matter, even ¨Ren and Stimpy¨) you could see all of them use the same gags(mallets, bombs, etc) at times, but you couldn´t call Bugs derivative because he used the same variation of a gag just like Jerry Mouse, or Donald Duck, or whatever, its all about execution of the gag and the character´s personality and interactions. People laugh at gags that are comprehensive, if you go for bizarre for bizarre sake, pushing boundaries as your main goal, expect most audience members to feel numb and left scratching their heads.

Of course John K wouldn´t agree with me on that, because he thinks old gags are tired (ironic for someone who loves vintage animation so much) but toilet and shock humor are just as tired now for that matter. At the end what really matters is to make audiences laugh, tired gags or not, and Animaniacs and its ¨script-driven irk¨ got people´s laughs, if not we wouldn´t have this conversation, Adult Party Cartoon didn´t got much laughs, it was cancelled for that reason, its just the way it is.

Don´t get me wrong, I really liked Ren and Stimpy(back when it was creative), I still think is hilarious and it gets the principles of animation and composition better that the heavily outsourced cartoons of Warner, Disney and the like of the 80s and 90s, and John K is a really talented man and a real artist, but... he is also a really egocentric, narrow minded person, all that ¨fake cartoons¨ rhetoric is pure nonsense, cartoons are cartoons, like them or not, its the same inane argument as ¨it´s not a cartoon, it´s anime¨ or ¨it´s not a cartoon, it´s an animated series or animated movie¨, it´s just ridiculous. The only thing he gets with those rants is to alienate all his contemporanean collegues, I don´t think they like to have most of their animation work be deemed trash for this guy.

His opinions and those of his followers can be very contradictory, too. So all cartoons should be like Ren and Stimpy? Then why is Shnookums and Meat so hated if it was made for the Spumco crew? Okay, it was hated for most people(that cared enough to watch it anyway), but the K followers hate it for being a R&S clone. What did they want, anyway? If dialog heavy scenes where nothing visually interesting happens are so bad, why his Adult Party cartoon had so many of them? If solid drawings and composition are sacred, why his ¨Simpsons couch gag¨ throw them down the toilet? And what about his criticism of classic cartoons. So Tom and Jerry cartoons aren´t good according to him. Why? Because he doesn´t like them, that´s why, he thinks it is generic, so what? That is just his opinión, not a fact. What´s his problem with Freleng´s cartoons again? He says they aren´t expresive, I disagree, besides I suppose Freleng mastery of timing doesnt´matter to John, either.
    What about Mr. Magoo?
    Also, if you like something like Real Ghostbusters, it´s because ¨blind nostalgia¨. But its okay to treasure some cheaply made Hanna Barbera toys, clearly made for disgrunted workers that didn´t care at all if the toys resemble at all the characters they are supposed to represent?

What I´m trying to say is you can´t let other people´s opinions of a show interfere with your enjoyment of it, you have to stick to your tastes, friend.