1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

Amblin and WB in early talks for Animaniacs reboot

Discussion in 'The Warner Bros. Club' started by cristian12345678, May 30, 2017.

1. Narfpinky

Narfpinky ~splash~
    Staff Member Moderator

cristian12345678 and Yum, please keep the thread relevant to the topic. Also, please don't include a bunch of video links that go on different tangents.

Let's try to keep it simple and to the point.

Now, a good point there about the E/I. Depending on where(network channel, cable/satellite or internet outlet)this planned Animaniacs reboot ends up will determine if the E/I requirement affects it(and at times the E/I requirement keeps changing).

2. cristian12345678

also the format ,sam register would want a 10 minutes 5 minutes per episodes and like tom ruegger said if he does a show"he would included mayor characters in shorter stories i mean yakko wakko dot episode featuring pinky and the brain,slappy ,etc"
    last time the original show was in fox kids,cartoon network and kids wb
    if they greenlight the reboot,theres diferent networks to consider
    cartoon network
    cw
    tbs
    netflix
    the educational content in cartoons( ORIGINAL ANIMANIACS included songs about the nations about the world,etc)nowadays is unnecesary
    they probably do parody songs like weird al yankovic and original songs(for example story arc cartoons vs short cartoons comment)talk about cinematic franchises,etc

#42 cristian12345678, Jun 5, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2017
  3. EJLD4Ever

EJLD4Ever Animation Student

Here's an idea I want to share:

If this reboot does more "mock black and white" shorts like "Babblin' Bijou" and "Ragamuffins," then I think nowadays they can make the "vintage" aspect of these shorts more convincing.

Instead of just painting the backgrounds and characters black and white, faux film artifacts like grain, dust and scratches can be added to make the short look like an old reel of film. They can also give the shorts lo-fi, poor quality audio to make it sound like it was recorded in the 30's as well.

See the Mickey's Mouseworks short "Mickey and the Goat Man" and the Grim Adventures of Billy and Many episode "Hill Billy" and you'll see what I'm talking about.

I am also hoping to see more Minerva Mink, that is if Julie Brown is not retired or anything...

4. Yum

Yum Active Member

I'd like to see something like that too...if I worked on that reboot, I'd have one black/white short be based on the story that Yakko told Dot in Wakko's Wish, so it acts as a way to provide the Warners with some backstory. It seems like the perfect story that could fit that old 1930s universe.

Another way that the Animaniacs characters could have some deeper connections to each other would be that almost everyone(excluding Pinky and the Brain, Katie Kaboom, Goodfeathers, etc.) would appear in 1930s form in an animated Merrie Melodies short. Because that most characters in the 1930s(Bosko/Honey, Oswald/Ortensia, Popeye/Olive, Bimbo/Betty, Foxy/Roxy, etc.)had a love interest, in that period, Minerva Mink would have been Yakko's girlfriend in those days, but because they had to lock them in the water tower, WB wasn't sure what exactly to do with her, so we ended up with Tex Avery gag ripoffs featuring her like those featured in the original show. It could also provide a way to explain Yakko's constant lust for other women.

This new reboot, they would probably be the same age as each other, and go right back to being a couple again like in the 1930s. I know that this would be disobeying the show bible, which describes both Yakko and Wakko as too young to date yet, yet Star Butterfly is lusting for Marco, as young as she is, so I don't see the excuse. It would also give Minerva a bigger role in the Animaniacs universe, as she really wasn't much of an interesting character in those days; despite her looks, there wasn't much appeal to her gimmick.

Unfortunately, I feel that Julie Brown should not reprise her role on account of her aging, and that her voice wasn't really that appealing in the original, and that she be replaced with Miranda Cosgrove instead, who I feel after iCarly could provide her with a much better, more comedic personality.

I sound like one of the PPG 2016 reboot writers, of course, but Minerva herself was never really that much of an impactful character in the show, despite giving boys some boners in the day, and if you were to replace her with a much more memorable character in the show, would anyone really notice. For the rest of her run, she was just the stock girl, the extra, nothing of importance.

5. wiley207

wiley207 Well-Known Member

I really hope Warner Bros. Animation does NOT screw it up. Ever since the 2000s, when they came out with some awful reboots of classic properties (such as "What's New Scooby-Doo," the 2003-2004 Sander Schwartz/Larry Doyle Looney Tunes cartoons, "Loonatics Unleashed," "Shaggy and Scooby-Doo Get a Clue," "The Looney Tunes Show," "Be Cool Scooby-Doo" and now "Wabbit/New Looney Tunes"), I haven't really trusted Warner Bros. Animation. when it comes to making new stuff. It's sad, because they made some great stuff from the 1930s to the 1960s, and the 1990s.
    Hopefully they can get the original writing staff back, and also produce the show in the same high quality they give the direct-to-video Tom and Jerry movies (though I'm not too big on how they're doing one that remakes 1971's "Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory," but that's for another topic), compared to the newer Looney Tunes stuff they've been doing for some time now. The great composer Richard Stone is dead, but at least Steve Bernstein is still with us, so he can probably score it, but I'm not sure if Warner Bros. Animation can put a full orchestra together again for the series. I mean, "Animaniacs" was a very expensive show to produce (and it shows), but its' success helped a lot.

6. EJLD4Ever

Okay. I had some thoughts and since there are not very many overseas studios doing full animation, the only ones that come to mind for this reboot are Toon City and Tycoon Animation. Am I missing some?

7. cristian12345678

if i select one, id say toon city because that animaton studio worked with the previous tom ruegger s tv show "7D"
    but the decision would be taken by amblin and wb(and steven spielberg)(last animated series amblin television had produced was the land before time(2007 tv series) co produced with universal)

pd:the animation studio that does tom and jerry direct to video films works well too

#47 cristian12345678, Jun 7, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2017
  8. wiley207

wiley207 Well-Known Member

Toon City is a great choice. I think Lotto Animation would also be up to the task; they did really good work on "Tom and Jerry Tales," and the Road Runner/Wile E. Coyote cameo in that "What's New Scooby-Doo" episode.
    Maybe they could also rehire Wang Film Productions; they're still around (and they also worked on "The 7D") and they did a decent job on "Animaniacs."
    This would be better than just going with Digital eMation or Rough Draft Korea...

And for the sound editing, hopefully they get Monterey Post/DigiPost.TV to work on it, just like they did with the original series. I wouldn't want to end up seeing "Animaniacs" without any classic Treg Brown/Warner Bros. sound effects (even if they did use the big "whap" sounds a lot) and/or mostly Hanna-Barbera sound effects like "Wabbit" does (though the original series did have some occasional recurring H-B sound effects; I remember the first season used H-B's old "two-prong explosion" sound a LOT.)

9. Toon4Thought

Toon4Thought Giving a slightly closer look.

@wiley207 Kind of subjective how many of those shows can be considered "awful". I do know at least a few of them are pretty well liked to some extent. In fact, I remember "What's New Scooby Doo" being one of the more popular incarnations of the franchise.

I think they could easily bring Wang back on board if they tried. Rough Draft may be a good choice as well; I remember their work on the Pinky and the Brain series looking rather stiff, but their more recent material shows they seem to be more capable of producing looser animation now.

10. TsWade2

TsWade2 Active Member

11. Yum

Yum Active Member

I want to give Studio Yotta a shot at these characters...I was also hoping that Harry Partridge would work on this show too...

12. cristian12345678

something i learned from the canceled tales of the crypt reboot is that ,nothing is confirmed until wb and amblin begin production of the episodes of the animaniacs reboot

13. dth1971

dth1971 Active Member

If the planned Animaniacs reboot gets green lighted and becomes a hit, would Amblin and WB reboot Tiny Toons next?

14. Itchy

Itchy Scratchy's enemy

Wow, this certainly came outta nowhere. After so many years of no new TTA or A! cartoons I didn't expect something like this to ever happen. I was almost certain Amblin/Speilberg's relationship with WB had soured or something. If we could get Tiny Toons back as well that would be great. Or the very least have them make cameos like in the original Animaniacs.

15. Yum

Yum Active Member

I hope they get Christophe Heral(Rayman Origins, Legends) on board as composer!

16. cristian12345678

no the relationship between spielber/amblin and wb hadnt soured.they will team up spielberg/amblin movies and wb will team up again for "ready player one"

pd:if they greenlight animaniacs reboot,im sure there will be some changes for example:
    1)no hipopotamus
    2)minerva could appear in warner siblings sketch
    3)chicken boo will do cameos(like the giant baby head in phineas and ferb)
    4)the mime will do cameos
    5)runt and ritta will not appear
    6)skelletone will do cameos
    7)buttons and mindy will do cameos(they have tom and jerry show)
    8) the godfeathers willd do cameos
    9)warner siblings and their supporting cast will appear(scratchansniff,mr plotz,ralph,hello nurse)
    10)pinky and the brain will appear
    11)slappy and skippy will appear

#56 cristian12345678, Jun 11, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2017
  17. cheril59

cheril59 Member

C'mon, I love every single Animaniacs character. I mean, Flavio and Marita were excellent on that gladiators cartoon! And I thought Rita's songs were coming off as moving, even in duets with Runt. And MAN!! Those Goodfeathers and Girlfeathers. (Yes, Pesto and Sasha are siblings) Why, Squit likes to say things Pesto doesn't know about, enough to crack Bobby up.

18. cristian12345678

in my opinion, the hipos are not funny.
    there must to be some changes.and c'mon at least im not john k,he hate animaniacs ,he thinks that show is wonky.
    the characters should be add could be:
    -freakazoid
    -cosgrove
    and freakazoid s suporting characters(excluding gutierrez and professor jones for respect to the actors who played them)
    -snowball(for pinky and the brain segment)

19. EJLD4Ever

Something else I'd like to see is Slappy's "You remind me of a very young..." one-liners referencing more recent characters:

Examples: "You remind me of a very young Johnny Bravo." "You three remind me of a very young Ed, Edd and Eddy." "You remind me of a very young Spongebob Squarepants."

The possibilities are endless!

20. cristian12345678

if the reboot gets greenlight, i hope the design could be like this one

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-RGc22GK_cX8/VU8pINhqLeI/AAAAAAAACJY/4QcAkqsTTnM/s1600/big+wrap+party+signed+doodles+lighter++copy.jpg

thats i can call "animaniacs" to that characters .yakko is more crazy in this one drawn by tom ruegger(the creator of the show)

pd:for slappy cartoons,they should hire family guy writers