1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

"Am I the only one who thinks..." Part II

Discussion in 'Cafe toonzone' started by defunctzombie, Jun 29, 2013.

1. Shawn Hopkins

Shawn Hopkins TZ Member of the Year 2013

It's just a joke.

2. Darklordavaitor

Darklordavaitor Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Man, and I'm the weird guy who actually dislikes "Get Lucky" as a song even more than "Blurred Lines", even if the latter's lyrics are just... yeah.

I might as well just say that I'm tired of the 70's revival going on in the top 40. Pharell's stuff, JT, Bruno Mars, they all seem to be trying to dig up stuff from the late 70's with their most recent singles, and it's getting more and more tiresome with each song. Even "Suit and Tie" bores me now, and that was my jam when it came out.

3. Silverstar

Silverstar Rock the Dragon

Heh. My dad loves "Get Lucky", even though he has no clue who either Daft Punk or Pharell are. He keeps referring to Daft Punk as "the guy who did that song that other guy (Stephen Colbert) was dancing to."

4. defunctzombie

defunctzombie 1992 not 2002
    Staff Member Moderator

Am I the only one who consistently seems to have trouble getting touch commands to work on an Android? I must have pork fingers or something because I can't get simple things like long touch and copy to even recognize.

5. RandomMe

RandomMe An Imaginary Friend

Am I the only one who is constantly irritated by the songs on radio over here? They just play the same songs over and over and over again!

6. Peter Paltridge

Peter Paltridge Knows about rock people
    Staff Member Moderator

That's been a problem with radio since the dawn of time, but only independent radio stations seem to take the effort to address that complaint.

It's been a long-standing policy to stick to a specific playlist, but it clearly doesn't work (you get bored and stop listening, making the advertiser dollars worthless) so I don't know why no one challenges the idea.

7. The Talon

The Talon Active Member

I just use Pandora these days instead of radio. So many new artists I've found since, & none of the annoying Top 40 hits to bog it down.

8. Peter Paltridge

Staff Member Moderator

"Twerking" is just "Freak dancing" from 15 years ago with a weirder name. Kids today didn't invent anything.

9. Storm Eagle

Storm Eagle Power to the peaceful

It's especially annoying when there are so many other songs on the CD that they could play, but for some reason just choose not to.

10. Michael24

Michael24 Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I believe radio stations generally only play an album's singles, so that leaves the other ones (album cuts) out of the playlists.

11. Aquadementia

Aquadementia That's a lot of Mulaney!
    Staff Member Moderator

At the end of "Super Why" when they are dancing, am I the only one who thinks the pig and roller blade girl are just having fun, but Whyatt* and the princess are totally into each other?

Am I the only one trying to get outside as much as possible to take advantage of the great weather?
    My legs are shot from bicycling too much. I should probably start on the upper body and climb a tree or something.

*Whyatt. Oh, I get it now.

12. Peter Paltridge

Staff Member Moderator

Is the media pretending Roar is a "popular" song just because Katy Perry made it? I can't imagine anyone liking it enough to buy it.

13. RandomMe

RandomMe An Imaginary Friend

Much like "The Fox".

14. Shawn Hopkins

15. MDawg

MDawg Nerfariously planning

Still doesn't make it a good song. Ugh. It just stinks of the same uplfting BS crap Katy Perry songs are known for to show all the special snowflakes they're important and unique and valued.

16. Shawn Hopkins

No, but it's a hit. I haven't heard this one, but I like her stuff generally. Nothing I would buy an album of, but it's listenable bubblegum pop.

17. Aquadementia

Aquadementia That's a lot of Mulaney!
    Staff Member Moderator

"Katy Perry is meant to be seen, not heard."

I always hated that saying when applied to children, but it works well enough for Katy Perry. In interest of equality feel free to use (does google search) Keith Urban as a substitute.

Just saw her on Good Morning America picking the school that made the best parody video. It may be the first time I've heard the song. I can't tell. They all sound the same. A relentless march of lyrics being dragged uphill. A common enough style right now where it's so measured I think it's meant to become an earworm.

18. Darklordavaitor

Darklordavaitor Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

My local theater plays a loop of the same 3 or so songs before they start playing trailers, and one of them is some song by Katy Perry which is basically done to the tune of a generic indie girl's music. I'm not a fan of her regular pop stuff, but that is my personal hell.

19. defunctzombie

defunctzombie 1992 not 2002
    Staff Member Moderator

Saw a commercial for the samsung watch. Is anyone really going to hold a watch to their face to make calls?

20. Shawn Hopkins

I think they think people will think "Whee! Just like Dick Tracy!" But actually people will think "Who's Dick Tracy?"