1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

"Am I the only one who thinks..." Part II

Discussion in 'Cafe toonzone' started by defunctzombie, Jun 29, 2013.

1. SB20xx

SB20xx Oooooh!
    Staff Member Moderator Reporter

Whenever I hear talk about Catcher in the Rye, I can't help but think of this Quagmire quote, to Brian:

"Yeah, I date women for their bodies but at least I'm honest about it. I don't buy them a copy of Catcher in the Rye and then lecture them with some seventh grade interpretation of how Holden Caulfield is some profound intellectual. He wasn't! He was a spoiled brat! And that's why you like him so much, he's you!"

I haven't read it, myself.

2. TenPoundHammer

TenPoundHammer Wanna be on Wheel of Fortune

One problem I had with Grapes was that long chapter that's nothing about a turtle crossing a road. It's like, "okay, symbolism, we get it, can we move on?" I don't remember much from the rest of the book.

3. Storm Eagle

Storm Eagle Power to the peaceful

So who else besides me is bored with Robin Thicke's "Blurred Lines" song? I even just checked out the explicit version of that video, and I even got bored with that one after the first 45 seconds or so.

4. CoolEric158

CoolEric158 She rocks both ways.

I find it both boring and annoying. The beat is forgettable, none of the lyrics I remember minus the "hey, hey, hey," which is the most obnoxious part of any song I've ever heard in a long time, and with songs like "Radioactive", "Safe and Sound", "Treasure", "Love Somebody", "Mirrors", and "The Way" all being performed with much more talented artists in both vocals and personality, it makes me wonder how dull songs like "Blurred Lines" and "We Can't Stop" are the top 2 songs in Billboard's Top 100.

5. Storm Eagle

Yeah and I know Robin Thicke can do better than "Blurred Lines". Miley Cyrus even had better songs than "We Can't Stop" back in her Hannah Montana days, and that's saying something.

6. TenPoundHammer

I just don't listen to pop radio. My local Top 40 station got on my bad side when they decided that playing "Tonight Tonight" by Hot Chelle Rae (one of the absolute worst songs of all time, IMO) 57 times a day was more important than playing Adele. I swear, the weeks she was at #1 with "Rolling in the Deep", I didn't hear it ONCE on that station. I didn't hear the song until Great American Country played the video. Yes, you read that right.

7. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I remember reading Lord of the Flies for my seventh grade class. It was pretty good and I remember enjoying it too.

As for the Blurred Lines, I haven't heard much of it beyond a review from Todd in the Shadow. I've seen bits of the parody for the music video though.

8. Peter Paltridge

Peter Paltridge Knows about rock people
    Staff Member Moderator

The video's kind of obnoxious, both versions. It's nothing but an ego trip for Thicke, with giant hashtags (I hate whenever they tell you what to tweet, like they can force you). This is to say nothing of the giant declaration of his manhood size. Really???

The song isn't that great either. I agree with Todd that Get Lucky is much catchier and I don't even like disco. Oh well, wait another month or two and something else will be popular.

9. Storm Eagle

"Blurred Lines" is also the song of the summer. I really haven't liked many of those. The only one I ever liked, and still do to this day, is "Crazy" by Gnarls Barkley from 2006.

10. Peter Paltridge

Peter Paltridge Knows about rock people
    Staff Member Moderator

Hah, I couldn't stand "Crazy." What is it about the summer that brings out bad taste?

11. TenPoundHammer

I rarely discover anything good on pop radio. I will admit country is fraught with frat boys and rural pride anthems, but I still get more enjoyment out of country than any other genre.

12. Shawn Hopkins

Shawn Hopkins TZ Member of the Year 2013

I think the point is you're not supposed to like Holden Caulfield. He is a little boat from Arrested Development. It's pretty obvious from the fact that his most famous fans, the people who took him as a serious role model, are deranged murderers.

13. Storm Eagle

And yet I dig Holden. I wouldn't follow his example completely, but I felt like I could relate to him sometimes.

14. defunctzombie

defunctzombie 1992 not 2002
    Staff Member Moderator

Admittedly, I never read it. My school had us read Great Gatsby, East of Eden, all the contemporary dystopian works, a horrible book called "A Separate Peace" and "Tess of the d'Urbervilles". Each one of those had its share of indecency, so that can't be why they skipped it.

Come to think of it, they never had us read Moby Dick, either. What kind of crappy school did I go to?

15. Shawn Hopkins

Shawn Hopkins TZ Member of the Year 2013

Well, Jodie Foster is a lesbian. She's not interested in you, so no need to try to impress her.

16. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I remember reading Great Gatsby in my sophomore year of high school. I thought it was a good and interesting read. I remember really enjoying Fahrenheit 451 though. I never read Moby Dick either. I actually didn't reay any of Herman Melville's work until college when I had to read Billy Budd for one of my English classes. I think that was one of the worst books I've ever had to read for a class. It was so dense and boring. It also didn't help that we had to read all of these different analysis on the book and its character and by a certain point, they started to repeat each other. I even wrote a paper on it, but that was primarily because there wasn't anything else I could think of to write on the other material we had read by that point. The fact that it was unfinished and published after his death really showed and it was just a dull book.

17. defunctzombie

defunctzombie 1992 not 2002
    Staff Member Moderator

451 was the first school assigned book that I finished before I even got it home. The ending was a little unsatisfying, but it was still a great book. I always meant to read Moby Dick eventually, but I never found the time.

Besides, I've seen both Wrath of Khan and First Contact. I don't need to read it anymore. ;)

18. Michael24

Michael24 Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Weird that some of these books were never assigned to us when I was in high school. Never read The Great Gatsby, Fahrenheit 451 or Catcher in the Rye. I tried to read Moby Dick on my own, but couldn't make it through the first chapter. The writing style just made it a difficult read. Maybe I could get through it now since I'm older, but I've never gotten around to trying it.

We did read two Steinbecks, The Pearl in 7th grade and Of Mice and Men in 8th grade, both of which I liked. And of course, The Odyssey (which I hated at the time, but came around to later on) and Romeo & Juliet. We also read the controversial Bless Me, Ultima, although I was unaware of any controversy at the time. I remember seriously not liking that one and literally throwing it across my bedroom in celebration when I finally finished it.

19. Storm Eagle

Sorry to disappoint you, but I'm not quite getting the analogy. I was only saying that I can relate to Holden, and I also said that it's to some extent.

20. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I didn't read The Odyssey until my freshman year in college. I kept getting into and out of it all the time. I tried reading it aloud to make it easier, but that just tired me out after awhile. The discussions tended to be more interesting than the book, especially in my seminar classes. I remember reading Bless Me, Ultima, but I think that I read it on my own somewhere around middle school. I didn't hear about any controversy over the book though. While I don't remember if I liked it that much, I'm pretty that I didn't dislike that much either. I don't know if that would be different if I read it again.