1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

"Am I the only one who thinks..." Part II

Discussion in 'Cafe toonzone' started by defunctzombie, Jun 29, 2013.

1. Michael24

Michael24 Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Survivor, never got it either. Just a group of obnoxious people backstabbing each other. Boring. Same with Big Brother. However, the very very very first season of Big Brother was enjoyable. The housemates were actually nice people and respectful of each other. I watched that entire debut season and liked it. After that, it just went downhill.

I'm not even sure how to respond to this. You find it strange that people want to stand up and make a difference? Not even talking about superheroes here, but real life heroes like policemen and firefighters and soldiers. The idea of somebody wanting to protect others and save lives is something you don't get?

I can't stand Larry the Cable Guy, but Tommy Boy is really good. Even with all the goofball humor, it has a good heart and a sweet story. Definitely one of my most favorite comedies.

2. cognitofalcon

cognitofalcon G'night evry' body!!

Sure, if you feel like making a trip to Columbus Georgia.

3. Peter Paltridge

Peter Paltridge Knows about rock people
    Staff Member Moderator

My stepdad checks out DVDs of lame shows and movies all the time from the library. This week I was looking through his stack and suddenly held my breath as I slowly brought out....Game of Thrones Season One. That was so unlike him, and it was a show I'd been meaning to check out myself, but I figured the waiting list would be years long.

It turned out he hadn't watched any of it yet. I warned him, "It's from HBO, there's gonna be some adult content, just fast forward when you see something unpleasant." He didn't make it through the first episode. Ha ha, what a wimp, right?

Eight episodes in, and............I'm gonna have to give up. Yes, it broke me too. This is the grossest, most graphic show I've ever seen, and I can't stand it any longer. Don't tell me that any of it is necessary. It's not. You can tell a compelling story without shoving disgusting crap into my face all the time.

How can anybody sit though this? This is 4Chan: The Show.

4. TenPoundHammer

TenPoundHammer Wanna be on Wheel of Fortune

I guess I do "get" it, but I've never really experienced it firsthand, so it's still kinda foreign to me. No one that I can think of has truly been heroic to me. I've never known a soldier, firefighter, policeman, what have you, nor gotten more than the most basic levels of support from people I know. And I'm a total wuss myself, so I don't think I could ever be heroic to anyone.

I guess I should've said more that heroism is just "there" for me and doesn't affect me either way.

I think what some people don't get with Larry is that he's a character. Daniel Whitney isn't like that in real life, but pop culture is so used to the "Larry the Cable Guy" character, that he often maintains the character even when not doing comedy. I think part of what makes him click for me is that I've seen glimpses of the man behind the ripped-off sleeves, particularly in his book — even though he puts in a lot of lowbrow humor to maintain the "Larry" persona, there are times in his book where it slips away and you get to see that he's actually fairly intelligent and articulate.

And now that I think of it, Tommy Boy definitely has a heart and chemistry to it. Ebert was way too harsh on that movie IMO.

5. Gold Guy

Gold Guy Ride On
    Staff Member Moderator

Never watched Game of Thrones myself, but yeah, I agree that graphic content isn't usually necessary at all, and can ever just get distracting.

6. SB20xx

SB20xx Oooooh!
    Staff Member Moderator Reporter

I haven't seen Game of Thrones either, but um... comparing it to 4chan is a pretty daring comparison. By that I mean, what specifically is in GoT that is so gross that you would compare it to a board which, at least in some parts of it, is designed to post the most disgusting/messed up image possible?

7. Peter Paltridge

Staff Member Moderator

The names are so weird I can't remember any of them, but the barbarian guy....the one married to Daneyrys.....some other guy in his tribe challenges him to battle, so Barbarian Guy slashes his throat open, grabs it with both hands, rips his head off into three pieces so he's left holding the tongue and part of the jaw, which hangs there disgustingly in his hand....

A man gets stabbed in the throat during a jousting tournament and the camera lingers on him as he lies there, coughing up blood until he chokes to death....

Someone approaches the Iron Throne telling Lord Stark about someone who's turned traitor, and as an example of the man's crimes, he dumps onto the floor a bag full of raw human guts.....

There is full-frontal butt sex in nearly every episode. The pilot has a brother and sister doing it. On camera, fully nude, no cutaways. Even Pulp Fiction had the courtesy to realize you didn't want to see everything.

8. Michael24

Michael24 Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Yeah, that's generally why I don't care for him. He's always "on," and I don't find him particularly funny to begin with. I like the other Blue Collar guys just fine. I was a fan of Foxworthy back in the early-90s, before he was well-known and was just another face you'd see on a Comedy Central show like Two Drink Minimum. Engvall and White crack me up, too, but the character of Larry the Cable Guy just grates on me.

9. SB20xx

SB20xx Oooooh!
    Staff Member Moderator Reporter

Hmm, that all does sound pretty gratuitous.

Interesting you brought up Pulp Fiction. If you watch the film closely, there really isn't very much explicit violence in that film. Most of it is off-camera. Yeah, we often see the results, but it's not the bloodbath that some critics made it out to be. Sadly, doesn't sound like GoT is the same.

10. TenPoundHammer

Another one I can't seem to get anyone else on board with. I think that Carrie Underwood's "See You Again" is a boring Cliché Storm of a song, but everyone else thinks it's great. I'm disappointed too, since I've liked literally all of Carrie's previous singles.

11. MDawg

MDawg Nerfariously planning

Does anyone else think Catcher in the Rye is a horribly overrated book? Holden is probably one of the most-hateable characters in all of literature and reading a book all about his unending bellyaching and whining was one of the most-tedious things I've ever done.

12. Storm Eagle

Storm Eagle Power to the peaceful

Am I the only one who's bored with the media notifying us of every little "adult" thing that Miley Cyrus has done? Okay, she's not a kid anymore. She's becoming a woman. We get it.

13. Peter Paltridge

Staff Member Moderator

You're definitely not alone on this one. Todd expressed my thoughts on it perfectly:
    Pop Song Reviews - "We Can't Stop" vs. "Come & Get It"

14. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I remember reading that book either during middle school or during my first two years of high school. I remember really not liking it either because of how Holden came off as so unlikable and annoying with all of his whining. Plus, using swear words every other sentence, or in practically every sentence, got annoying really quickly. I think that some of my classmates liked this narration, but I was one of the people who thought that he was just too annoying. I don't know if I'd consider it overrated since i haven't read the book in years, but in terms of famous literary classics, it's definitely one that I dislike completely.

15. TenPoundHammer

I never read it that I recall, but I've often felt that I was the only one who found The Grapes of Wrath a boring slog. Then again, I was 13 when I read it, and I also had to read Gone with the Wind, which I found equally uninteresting. I seriously think the English II teacher was trolling me because she didn't want me to comp out of the class during summer. To be fair, my mom's a bit of a Steinbeck fan, and she recommended The Pearl and Of Mice and Men, both of which I found much more palatable (and not just because they were shorter).

We did little book reading in the three years of HS English I took. Mostly, it was short story compilations, a few poems, and a newspaper serial called Beyond the Field of the Dogs. The only actual books I remember reading were an annotated Romeo and Juliet in English I, and The Scarlet Letter in English III, and I remember absolutely nothing of the latter.

====

And on the subject of books in high school, am I the only one who gave up on Harry Potter somewhat early on? I got as far as Goblet of Fire before I realized I wasn't getting any enjoyment out of the series.

I mean, I felt like I was there — I could see and feel what was being described, picture the characters in my head, and so on — and I had no problem with the writing as a whole. But nothing really rubbed off on me and made me go, "oh yeah, that's awesome" or "I like this character because they did this" or "that's a really cool idea she had going here" or "I wonder what's gonna happen next?". Nothing excited me about the books, but on the flip side, nothing was enraging me. Nor was anything overly confusing to me, which I find is so often a hang-up on me for any work of fiction. (I've tried about five times now to watch Firefly on the recommendation of friends, but I get 10 minutes in and have no idea what's going on.) Everything was just… there. I don't get it, either. I had no peers who were into it, and I paid no attention to the media at the time, so I had literally no way to suffer a Hype Backlash.

16. Kindness King

Kindness King Active Member

Oh God, no. I read the first few pages and I was bored. Haven't finished it yet. Holden is definitely overrated if nothing else. The guy's just one bitter jerk. Imagine if Daria was made into a boy and had zero charm. That's what he feels like to me.

17. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I remember reading The Grapes of Wrath and Of Mice and Men, although I'm not sure about how I felt about either one of them. I think I read them both in middle school though. I read The Scarlet Letter for one of my college English classes and I do remember having a good time with the class discussions on the book, as well as writing a paper on it.

I've never even read one of the books. I think that I tried with the Goblet of Fire, but I couldn't get into it. I think I was just too used to watching the movie adaptations to be that interested in the books. Plus, I don't seem to be interested in most of the really famous fantasy book series for some reason.

18. Storm Eagle

Storm Eagle Power to the peaceful

I hate to say this, but I've read the book twice, and I think I can see a bit of myself in Holden. Maybe there's also a bit of Holden in me.

I guess not much seems to happen in the book, but for some reason, I manage to enjoy it.

Thanks for sharing that. Miley Cyrus really might be trying too hard. In fact, there's that saying that goes "trying too hard to act grown-up is a sign of immaturity".

I like how the guy brings up Victorious at the end and says it's a little better than the Disney shows. It's because of Sam & Cat that I started watching reruns of Victorious and it's not bad. I don't think I'd say it's better than the shows on Disney, because I actually watched Hannah Montana and the Suite Life series.

19. Wonderwall

Wonderwall Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I thought Of Mice and Men was sweet. Really enjoyed that back in senior year. Catcher in the Rye is one of those books that's taught in a lot of schools but I never was. Gone with the Wind is another but I'm not sure that's used as much as Catcher.

20. MDawg

MDawg Nerfariously planning

Catcher just reminds me of every person online who complains on Facebook, etc, so I think that's why it grated on me moreso than normal (yes, I read the book post-high school. It was not one of the books we ever read).

I did read Grapes of Wrath in high school though and what a depressing bore that book was. I just couldn't get into it at all and with nearly everyone dying in some form or another by end, I just was wasn't really enthused to keep reading it. I've having a bit of a difficult time figuriung out any books I enjoyed reading in high school honestly. I think probably Lord of the Flies. I'm sure there are others, but that one I did like.