"Am I the only one who thinks..." Part II

Discussion in 'Cafe toonzone' started by defunctzombie, Jun 29, 2013.

1. PinkiePie97

PinkiePie97 Well-Known Member

Weird. I don't know why you keep having to turn it off then.

2. Duckfan

Duckfan Member

Am I the only one, who doesn't understand why so many people spend millions of hours with their pets, who don't understand them and are only interested in them to provide their food, while there are thousands of people living a lonesome life, who are not only seeking companionship for themselves, but who would actually listen and care for other people, if they just aked them.

Sometimes I think the world would be a better place, if dog owners rather spended one hour a day in talking to some real person on the phone than taking their dogs out for a third time. Animals only need food. Humans need love, friendship, inspiration, motivation, someone to talk to, someone to listen to, someone to care for, someone to help them manage their lives, someone to share memories with, someone to discuss things with, someone to spend hours with, someone who stands by in grief and sorrow, someone who actually understands what they are saying - and not just someone to buy canned food. Animals are smart. They can take care of themselves.

3. Deebee

Deebee Purple Puma

Animals need love and emotional support as well. I've seen dogs grieve and get depressed. And from the perspective of an introvert, I would rather spend time with my cats than humans, because talking to people face-to-face is incredibly draining on my energy.

Still though, you make a good point, as most pet owners presumably aren't as introverted as I am. And it doesn't take every hour of a day to keep a pet emotionally happy, so owners should have enough time to give people love as well.

4. 90'sKid

90'sKid Well-Known Member

Am I the only one who thinks that the wacky surrealism in cartoons is getting a little old at this point.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

5. ThunderCatsFan

ThunderCatsFan ThunderCats, hooooooooo!

Am I the only one that's not into Anime that much and think it's overrated to a certain degree and think that cartoons and anime are the same thing?

6. Duckfan

Duckfan Member

First things no. I, too, am absolutely not into anime and I also think its pretty much overrated.

But you're propably alone, considering cartoons and anime the same thing.

7. 90'sKid

I'm not into anime either, I don't see the appeal of it at all. I will always prefer Western animation.

8. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

First of all, dogs need love, care and friendship too. They want food, but that isn't the only thing they're interested in with their owners, generally speaking at least. If that was the case, then they could just leave off the streets with people just providing food for them without any kind of bond or security. They enjoy companionship too. Many dogs like to play with people and other dogs too. Animals experience more emotions and desires than just "I want food" Dogs get happy, sad, angry, scared and other emotions. Same with other animals really. Animals can suffer from trauma and get emotional/psychological scars as a result. Animals are smart, but domestic animals at least can't take care of themselves completely. You can't just leave a dog alone for a few days without anyone to check on it and expect things to be perfectly fine. There are dogs and cats with separation anxieties, so even leaving them alone for a short time can cause them to panic. Dogs can so incredible amount of compassion, so the claim that they're just interested in their owners as a source of food is especially insulting for me as someone who had two loving dogs growing up and has another dog right now. There are more to dogs than just wanting food.

To say that dogs are only interested in their owners as a source of food is not only demeaning to the bonds people form with their pets, but it also really sounds like you have no idea what you're talking about when it comes to either animals or what it's like to be a pet owner in general. It's just completely demeaning and insulting.

Plus, it's a lot easier for some people to talk with their dogs and pets than it is to be with other humans. It might be due to reasons like how nerve racking socializing with people can be, how the unconditional love from a pet provides more reassurance to make communication easier or they just don't like dealing with people all that often. For me, even good cases of human interactions can be draining, while that isn't the case when I'm with my dog. Plus, I'd rather spend time with my dog than talk to a lot of rude people. Acting as if the world would be so much better if people spent more time with others and less so with their dogs seems to disregard a lot about why people like their pets so much, as well as why people might have difficulties talking to other people. Not to mention that wouldn't instantly fix a lot of problems with the world most likely anyway. You don't have to like dogs or animals, but to act so condescending when it definitely doesn't sound like you understand anything about pets or what pet ownership is about is extremely rude, insulting and downright insensitive. It genuinely bothers me.

• Winner Winner x 3
  9. Dr.Pepper

Dr.Pepper Well-Known Member

I kind of agree. I don't necessarily hate anime, it's just that I don't watch it because of the lack of accessibility.

10. Deebee

Deebee Purple Puma

Yeah. I think the reason why my cats, you know, the type of animal that is infamous for being aloof, care so much about me, is I put in the time and effort to care about them. Sid and I go for walks to the end of the block together, then we play in the dirt. Sammy sleeps with me. Goldie occasionally naps next to me, and is ecstatic if I manage to leave the house that day. Abby suffers from loneliness and depression, so I let her cuddle on my lap and do my best to give her love every now and then. Animals require a lot more than just food to be truly happy. A lot of my neighbor's cats have gone missing, yet mine have access outside and always come back. It's easy to tell that it's because I create deep bonds with them that makes them not want to leave. If all they wanted was food to be happy, they could get that just about anywhere. All except Abby are very skilled hunters, they wouldn't even need humans. Yet here they are.

While I feel there is some distinction between anime and cartoons, I feel similarly. I wouldn't say I dislike anime, but as I've gotten older and it's gotten immensely popular, it just doesn't feel like my kind of thing. Maybe I'll get into it again someday, but I don't feel like that'll be anytime super soon.

Western cartoons have more appeal to me. I prefer their simpler, more cartoony styles, and since Japanese jokes don't tend to translate that well, and well, I'm born and raised in the US and not Japan, western cartoons are on average going to be funnier to me.

11. I.R. Shokew

I.R. Shokew DISGRACED and Rooting ONLY for Underdogs

Don't feel bad. Western animation, for all the bad rap it seems to get nowadays compared to anime? Still better than anime, in my opinion. Then again, I have nothing but hatred for 95% of what Japan puts out, especially today - and it's not like I go out of my way to support the 5% I hear is actually good, either.

12. jaylop97

jaylop97 Well-Known Member

Am I the only one who feels awkward seeing a friend somewhere outside of school, because ever since I was a child I just feel very weird seeing some of my greatest of friends outside of school as I tend to live far from most of my schools and I just never know how to feel when it comes to see them :sweat:.

13. 90'sKid

I agree about the anime bits.

Am I the only one who thinks that a show putting in a pop culture reference (like a meme) makes it even more dated than it would be if it didn't? I feel that shows are trying way too hard to phone in memes and Internet references. Especially shows like NuPPG and season 9 of FoP.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Mr. Daniel

Mr. Daniel Back (but just occasionally)

Am I the only one that thinks that Sakura Haruno from Naruto is overhated? I agree she's a terrible character but have you seen the reactions to when she was number 4 on Watchmojo's "Top 10 Naruto Characters" list?

15. Deebee

Deebee Purple Puma

I find some shows do that sort of thing decent enough. It helps a lot that the ones I'm thinking of keep their references fairly small, and reference things from a variety of decades. It's more often than not so well-woven into things that you wouldn't realize it's reference if you aren't familiar with the source material, to the point where it instead feels natural to the show. Or it's in the background and is a cool easter egg more than anything. That's how references should work, I completely agree the in-your-face meme and twerking of NuPPG dates it incredibly hard. That's referencing at its worst.

Am I the only one who doesn't like Scooby-Doo all that much? It's pretty much the same thing every episode, and just isn't that interesting to me.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Gatordragon

Gatordragon "In the end, I will reign supreme"

While I do like some anime (such as "Jojo's Bizarre Adventure" and "My Hero Academia"), I do think that anime gets hyped too much. I mean, there are plenty of good cartoons out there (back then and now), but a lot of people dismiss them because they're too cartoony-looking or for kids while praising anime for being cooler-looking and "more adult" (which usually means more violent, foul-mouthed, and sexual). That kind of shallow thinking really annoys me.

Meh, I'm neutral on Scooby-Doo, but I can see what you mean. It's formulaic behavior gets dull after a while. [​IMG]

Am I the only one who gets a kick out of "oh crap" moments? There's something about the look on a person's face when they realized they messed up that is so amusing.

17. 90'sKid

I agree, a reference can be a neat little thing to do, but they must be handled with care.

As for Scooby-Doo I agree as well, it's as formulatic (if not more so) than Phineas and Ferb.

18. Storm Eagle

Storm Eagle Power to the peaceful

Am I the only person who has never stopped watching a show on account of characters or actors getting replaced? There have been different kinds of reasons why I might have stopped watching shows, but characters not being there anymore was never one of those reasons. The best example I can think of right now is Power Rangers. At least one person would get replaced every year in the earlier seasons, but it's the kind of show where I always found replacements to be interesting. Sometimes I'd know beforehand that someone would be leaving and getting a replacement, and I'd always look forward to seeing what the replacement would be like.

When the originals graduated high school and got replaced in Saved by the Bell, I still kept watching. Then again, I never got to watch the show as much when the originals were still there. I just remember watching one of the episodes from the fist season of The New Class, and I wasn't even aware that it was all new characters. Once I figured out what was going on, I still kept on watching all the way to the very end.

I used to watch Ghostwriter where instead of characters getting replaced, they usually got a new actor to replace the original actor. It seemed kind of weird, but I still kept watching.

19. Whimsical Crank

Whimsical Crank Sensible to a Slight Degree

This. I definitely hate the pretentiousness that comes from the people who watch anime with that mindset. I think the only thing that could top this shallow thinking is saying the same thing while ONLY having exposure to anime from Toonami (I know at least one person in offline who's like this).

Funny thing is that one of my favorite anime, Mr. Osomatsu, has virtually EVERY aspect that the most pretentious anime watchers (they don't deserve the 'fan' title) would dis American cartoons for. One Punch Man, Assassination Classroom, and My Hero Academia have also quickly become my other favorites (the past year really has been great for comedic anime actually, despite not specializing in it).

That said, the aspect about anime that I think is over-hyped is how much 'better' it is than American cartoons. It simply is not the truth, both countries have produced junk and gems, with the former forgotten in both regions, that's all. For me, comparing both is essentially apples and oranges. I like anime, but there's two reasons why I'm not a 'die-hard' fan (so to speak). First, because I lean towards comedy/cartoon-like environments, and as I said, anime does not specialize in that (though there are a couple non-comedic anime I like, but generally speaking of course). Second, most (if not all of them) rely on serialized storytelling (much of which is derived from an existing manga). Even if there were hybrid type shows (applicable to American action cartoons too) where continuity exists, but won't cause viewers to feel lost (for the most part) no matter which episode they start on (like Gravity Falls), that would be perfectly fine. But having multiple shows that I would need to watch marathons of episodes in order for, just to know what's going on with the little time I have? No thanks.

20. Mr. Daniel

Mr. Daniel Back (but just occasionally)

Disagree on the first part. But the second part I can relate to.

I usually went to schools where the kids were all over the place. When I lived in New York. I lived in Manhattan and my school was in Queens. Pretty much all of my good friends lived all over the NY area.

When I moved to Connecticut a couple of years ago. It was pretty much the same situation. All the kids lived all over the place. some in New York, some more Northeast. I'm only a 15-20 minute drive from my current school however.

• Friendly Friendly x 1