1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

"Am I the only one who thinks..." Part II

Discussion in 'Cafe toonzone' started by defunctzombie, Jun 29, 2013.

1. PapaGreg

PapaGreg Peppermint tea for me

A dramedy

• Funny Funny x 1
  2. I.R. Shokew

I.R. Shokew DISGRACED and Rooting ONLY for Underdogs

I know I've said it before, BUT I DON'T CARE...

Why do I feel like Star Vs. is completely overrated, regardless of how much I try to like it (and just don't succeed, overall...)? Am I the only one who feels that Penn Zero: Part Time Hero is not just severely underrated, but a better show in comparison to Star Vs.?

I bet I am; if so, I kinda hate that feeling... I really do.

3. 90'sKid

90'sKid Well-Known Member

I can't get into Star vs. either, something about it just doesn't click with me, but I can't pinpoint what.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  4. I.R. Shokew

I think it's that it tries too hard to be funny when the potential is there for something much more serious and action packed in better hands, in terms of writing. That, and it's doing high-school stuff I've seen too much (especially not done well, at all!) in other shows that I would rather forget in place of real cartoons, thank you very much.

I keep hoping it'll get better (it likely will, provided the story that's slowly starting to be told here takes off and can do any actual buildup happening legit justice, of course...), but in the end... Penn Zero, for all of its flaws, (at the moment, anyway, if only because it's actually taking advantages of its concepts and using them well enough...) is still a far better cartoon, IMHO! If only because I can at least watch reruns of it over and over and still feel entertained by it... Even if it's an episode I wasn't fond of before at first. With Star Vs., if it's a bad episode, it ruins everything for me and makes me grow to dislike the show, royally, in comparison.

5. Insomnia

Insomnia Member

Nah, I agree. I just started watching Penn Zero and I honestly enjoy it more then Star, probably because it feels like it's doing more interesting things with its premise than Star is. Not to say I don't like Star, I do I just feel like it could be much better and funnier. Penn Zero seems to get unfairly overlooked, most people don't even seem to know it exists.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. 90'sKid

90'sKid Well-Known Member

Maybe that's it, the high school stuff. Having been out of school for a while, and having a rather unassuming high school experience, I can't relate with Star vs.'s school bits. So those parts come off (to me) as boring and at times cliche. But that's not really Star vs.'s fault, I've never been one for the "high school hero" thing.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  7. I.R. Shokew

Don't feel bad, m8 - HIGH SCHOOL ROYALLY SUCKED FOR ME, as well. And I had to exclaim that one - because THAT is part of the reason I'm not that big on Star Vs.. At all, like I am Penn Zero - Penn Zero may have the same issue, but at least they have (from what I've seen so far, of course) the common courtesy to not waste a lot of time in such an annoying, cliche, and lame setting like freaking High School!

• Like Like x 1
  8. Scrappy-Fan92

Scrappy-Fan92 Well-Known Member

I can see where you're coming from. If I may provide my own analysis (using just the first season of Sword Art Online, because that's the only one to have been dubbed and shown on TV in completion), I think (some of) Klein's fanbase comes from a general lack of screentime (which might be where that hashtag comes from). Klein did not get the same level of focus as Kirito or any of his various female companions, but as a result, Klein came out relatively unscathed in terms of criticism for Sword Art Online's character dynamics at large. It probably helps that Klein is one of the few legitimately nice male characters in the first season who's competent in battle and survives the Aincrad incident. He and Agil are the only male protagonists not named Kirito that can boast that (and Agil got even less focus than Klein...)

9. Gatordragon

Gatordragon Everybody scream! This is Halloween!

Am I the only one who doesn't use their personal opinion to gauge the quality of something? My opinion as just that, what I personally think of something and while my opinion matters to me, it doesn't hold much weight in the big picture. Instead, I use critical and commercial reception to determine if something is good or not because they are more reliable.

Because of this, I can acknowledge that something is good quality even if I personally don't like it and vice-versa. This way of thinking has helped me respect the opinions of others and understand things outside of my perspective. Just because I like or don't like something doesn't mean that others should think the same as I do.

• Winner Winner x 2
  10. Gatordragon

Rise from your grave, thread!

Am I the only one who likes pronouncing the name Aaron as Ay-ay-rahn instead of Air-ruhn? Ay-ay-rahn is more fun to pronounce to me. You can blame Key and Peele for that.

• Funny Funny x 1
    #690 Gatordragon, Dec 26, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 26, 2015
  11. Storm Eagle

Storm Eagle Power to the peaceful

What if someone with that name doesn't want you pronouncing it that way? Because that's just ignorant.

12. Gatordragon

If they don't like it, I'll just call them how they want to be called. I never said anything about doing it to be a jerk to people. [​IMG]

#692 Gatordragon, Dec 26, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 26, 2015
  13. Dr.Pepper

Dr.Pepper Well-Known Member

Am I the only person who at least kind of agrees with some of what the Parent Television Council is saying? I am not saying that everything on TV needs to be Sesame Street, but I do wish there were more wholesome shows out there. Like if you wanted to watch a sitcom that is safe for the whole family, you pretty much just have The Middle and that's it. I personally do not care for foul language (I'm okay with what you are going to hear on a show Big Bang Theory), strong sexual scenes (I'm okay with mild references, innuendo, and double-entendres), and gore (unless it's in a historical/fantasy setting). I am NOT saying that edgy shows need to go, but I wish there were more PG-rated shows out there that get the attention that stuff like Walking Dead or Game of Thrones gets.

One thing I disagree with is the constant bashing of network shows. I have never seen anything during prime time on a broadcast network that I would consider too over the top. Not saying that a show like 2 Broke Girls is fun for the whole family, but I'm not objecting to it being there.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Red Arrow :D

Red Arrow :D Proud Beneluxer

My English teacher gave everyone a (very) English name. That was pretty fun :) For example ''Jonas'' became ''John John''.

-Can't you just say ''Jonas'' with an English J?
    -But I like calling you John John!
    -Okay xD

My English name was ''Conor'' : P

#694 Red Arrow :D, Jan 5, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2016
  15. Scrappy-Fan92

Scrappy-Fan92 Well-Known Member

Am I the only one wondering if people in the video game industry would still be hyping VR if it came from Nintendo? That is to say if Nintendo was at the forefront of it at the very least.

16. Dan's Revenge

Dan's Revenge Gooood kittyyyy

Have a couple...

1 -- Am I the only one who thinks politics are shoved down your throat? Always good to keep up, but I feel pushed away from it all so I tend not to watch anything regarding it - so with that, I'm not too informed about any of the candidates for this year's election - but everything I hear about... all of them (mainly the three most talked about - Sanders, Clinton, and Trump), makes the push more pushy so I still don't want to deal with it. I want to be able to really understand, but not have to deal with all the stupidity that comes from it. Wish I could describe "stupidity".

2 -- Am I the only one who... thinks? .. XD

17. Peter Paltridge

Peter Paltridge Knows about rock people
    Staff Member Moderator

Am I the only one who doesn't click on some videos out of fear ones like them will show up as "Recommended For You" the next time I go to YouTube? I think it's creepy the way video sites track you like that, and I don't want to slant the metrics in an unpleasant direction.

I just.....can't click this. I don't want to be greeted with an entire sidebar of Sagets....

18. Dr.Pepper

Dr.Pepper Well-Known Member

Am I the only one who thinks Deadpool looks unappealing? If you like then that's fine, but are there others who find the constant vulgarity and gore off-putting? Everyone's talking about this like its the best ever and has a ton of rewatch value, but I don't know if I can get through 30 minutes of it.
    I am kind of like that. When stuff I don't like appears in my recommend box, I choose the "not interested" option.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. the greenman

the greenman Well-Known Member

I grew up with the first incarnation of X-Force and Deadpool came slightly later. I am turned off by it as well. I don't care for gratuitous violence, no more do I care to watch exploitive news. I am careful not to become desensitized to it. Like with the whole Uber driver. Anyways, people who claim CBM fatigue, beware. Cause it's now going from fatigue to decline. Unless they start making better decision making to making them be damn near Oscar-worthy, it's possible this is pretty much the beginning of the end.

Sent from my LGMS323 using Tapatalk

20. Gatordragon

Incognito Mode is your friend in these situations. [​IMG]

Am I the only one who gets really hot-blooded when I play sports or multiplayer games? Normally I'm pretty laid back, but there's something about sports and games that brings out the beast in me. And I love it! [​IMG]