1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

"Am I the only one who thinks..." Part II

Discussion in 'Cafe toonzone' started by defunctzombie, Jun 29, 2013.

1. Scrappy-Fan92

Scrappy-Fan92 Well-Known Member

Am I the only one who doesn't mind linearity in video games?

2. Wonderwall

Wonderwall Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I don't mind it, all really depends on how it's done. I love The Last of Us and Arkham Asylum and both are linear games but both are awesome. As long as the gameplay is super fun and the presentation plays to the strength of a linear experience there usually are no complaints of a linear game.

3. Lanmanna

Lanmanna Member

Uh, so you're basically saying that everyone is addicted to their smartphones? Not true.

Definition of narcissism:

1. Excessive or erotic interest in oneself and one's physical appearance.
    2. Extreme selfishness, with a grandiose view of one's own talents and a craving for admiration.
    I think you're using the wrong word. I honestly don't see why you're making a big deal out of ultrasounds. >_>

[Mod Note: Double posting is against the rules. Also, don't argue for the sake of arguing.]

4. SB20xx

SB20xx Oooooh!
    Staff Member Moderator Reporter

I never actually said that, but thanks for putting words into my mouth.

That said, it is accurate to say there -are- some people addicted to their smartphones. You know, the ones who, when you're trying to talk to them, just sort of zone out as they stare and swipe at their phones? Yeah, that's incredibly annoying. And honestly. I really hope that 10% of users use smartphones during sex is a joke number, because if not, that's pretty sad that INTERCOURSE can't hold your attention. Good gravy.

5. Jave

Jave Beware of the SPLAT

I don't know, I think you're being rather unfair. I won't deny that there's plenty of smartphone addicts out there, but you're making the situation sound a lot worse than it really is.

6. Wonderwall

Wonderwall Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Well children are apart of you am I right ;). Honestly I originally used arrogant and I feel more comfortable than that although the way these pictures are posted it honestly does come off like these people want admiration for pumping a kid out.

It's not the ultrasounds themselves that bug me, it's all the constant mindless fixation of children that bothers me. It's just ridiculous. I get loving your children, I get taking pictures of children and sharing them with family who may not see the little ones as often as they like. I don't get posting it for the world to see as if it's some grand statement or that it somehow makes you love your kids more than others. It doesn't. Frankly these people are seemingly so obsessed with their own kids that they're forgetting to actually experience being with them since they keep trying to capture these "moments" just so they can put em up on instagram and then bathe in shallow comments of their friends.

7. Jave

Jave Beware of the SPLAT

To be fair, most people who post pictures on Facebook have their security settings set so that only people they approve of can see them. If someone is posting pictures that bother you, regardless of whether it's right or wrong, then you probably shouldn't be following them in the first place.

8. Wonderwall

Wonderwall Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I know and they don't use 'em since I can see it and I'm not close enough to most of them to be on any list of approved people. For the most part I block people from my newsfeed that are just getting to weird or irritating. Still it's a grievances thread and I feel it's important to write that down somewhere. More constructive that way.

Edit: To be fair though Facebook's settings are a pain in the butt to deal with. What a terribly designed site.

9. Peter Paltridge

Peter Paltridge Knows about rock people
    Staff Member Moderator

It depends on the type. Some games are story-dependent and wouldn't work if you could just run off. Other games....well, see FFXIII.

I actually don't think The Last Of Us is linear enough. Whenever I enter a new area, and poke around the bushes looking for scraps instead of moving with Ellie, I keep thinking what horrible survival skills I'm exhibiting, and wonder why she doesn't just hit me. If they want me to move with the story, they shouldn't hide stuff and force me to look for it everywhere.

10. defunctzombie

defunctzombie 1992 not 2002
    Staff Member Moderator

Am I the only one consistently getting 403 errors when I try to read news from comic book movie? Japanese or US IP addresses both refuse to let me read the stories until 3 or 4 days later. Grrrr.

11. SB20xx

SB20xx Oooooh!

Upon further reflection, I realize it's not so much the device itself that I'm annoyed with, but how some people use it. And I hope we can all agree on that.

12. Scrappy-Fan92

I know so little about Final Fantasy XIII's story or gameplay (all I know is that it's linear) that I can't even pass proper judgement. Regardless, I just think some people look down on certain games just because they're linear. I especially notice complaints if the game in question is 3D.

13. John Pannozzi

John Pannozzi Still Gritty after all these years

Am I the only one who wants to see WildCATs, Gen 13 and possibly StormWatch/The Authority movies? (If the DC Cinematic Universe manages to take off first, that is)

14. Scrappy-Fan92

Am I the only one on these forums that doesn't see the Pokemon Black & White anime as incredibly flawed?

15. Gold Guy

Gold Guy Ride On
    Staff Member Moderator

I think a lot of people genuinely do enjoy it, but even many of the fans find some flaws. IMO, the series (from what little I've seen of it) isn't awful, but it's annoying how looks Pokémon can be with continuity.

16. Darklordavaitor

Darklordavaitor Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

With Doug Walker now calling it his favorite show, I have to ask, am I the only one who just have never been able to fully jump on the Avatar: The Last Airbender bandwagon?

17. Silverstar

Silverstar Rock the Dragon

It's not just you. While I don't hate A:TLA, and I liked the characters of Toph and Ty Lee, I've always found the franchise as a whole pretty dull and hard to get into, but then I've always preferred comedies and saga-based shows with overreaching story arcs tend to bore me, as I usually lose interest in plots which take more than 2 or 3 episodes to be resolved.

18. TenPoundHammer

TenPoundHammer Wanna be on Wheel of Fortune

Am I the only one who wants to have fun tonight / Is there anybody out there who wants to have a cold beer / Kick it to the morning light?…

…Couldn't resist.

I have a friend who thinks it's boring. Basically, he thinks it just rehashes a ton of anime clichés despite not being anime itself.

Conversely, am I the only one who:

* …never liked Survivor or Big Brother? I just don't get either show. Yes, let's watch people be total [Richards] to each other all for the sake of greed, while we get our jollies off on televised voyeurism.

* …just plain doesn't get the superhero genre? Nothing about it seems appealing to me, not even at its most basic, unadulterated-by-Hollywood level. The concept of heroism as a whole is just foreign to me.

* …actually found Tommy Boy entertaining? Or Larry the Cable Guy: Health Inspector?

19. Wonderwall

Wonderwall Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I have always hated Big Brother. I never got the rules and I could never pay attention because how boring it is. And Julie Chen is the worst.

20. MDawg

MDawg Nerfariously planning

Got through the original 2 seasons of Survivor, but never watched Big Brother. CBS is a giant, steaming pile of crap anyways, so the network is worthless to me.