"Am I the only one who thinks..." Part II

Discussion in 'Cafe toonzone' started by defunctzombie, Jun 29, 2013.

1. defunctzombie

defunctzombie Cutie Pie

The following is making the rounds on facebook. Please please PLEASE tell me I'm not the only one who sees the blatant stupidity:

2. Aquadementia

Aquadementia That's a lot of Mulaney!

No, kids should be wrapped in tissue paper before playing with sparklers.
    Remember to put them out in a bucket of gasoline.

You know, if you like flaming children.

For having the rep as the wimpiest of all fireworks, they worry me the most because of how they are used. They make me think kid sized safety glasses would be a good idea.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 29, 2013
  3. sun

sun You stay, I go

Sparklers..if that is what is being discussed, are dangerous to use on the 4th of July. Very very hot. I know, no one will listen, then a few days later, some of the accidents will be reported.

4. Shawn Hopkins

Shawn Hopkins TZ Member of the Year 2013

Yeah, for some reason sparklers have a reputation as a "safe" firework, people even give them to kids. But it's a white-hot wire. It's very dangerous if the person holding it isn't careful.

5. Peter Paltridge

Peter Paltridge Steven Sword!

Now I know I must be the only one. As young as 3 I was handed a sparkler and by instinct knew the business end wasn't for touching or eating. Good grief. How dumb do you think kids are?

For a long while I lived in an apartment complex with a zillion other little kids, and every July, the things we used to do with fireworks would make you guys faint.

6. Michael24

Michael24 Moderator

Exactly this.

7. Shawn Hopkins

I grew up in the south a quarter of a century ago, dudes. We did stuff with fireworks that would get you put on a terrorist watch list today. Of course, one of my cousins did lose an eye.

But parents are a little smarter about safety now, and sparklers are the number one cause of fireworks injuries and can cause serious burns.

Sparklers rank No. 1 cause of injuries from fireworks, report says | The Augusta Chronicle

Sparklers, which burn at temperatures up to 1,800 degrees, were the No. 1 cause of fireworks injuries that required trips to the emergency room. An estimated 1,100 emergency room visits were related to sparklers, the report said.

Firework injuries are the most common burns treated at the Joseph M. Still Burn Center at Doctors Hospital during the week of July 4, said Beretta Coffman, a physicians assistant at the center.

“Truly, there is no safe firework. The ones we tend to give our children like sparklers and less explosive ones are also the hottest,” Coffman said.

8. defunctzombie

defunctzombie Cutie Pie

I knew they weren't for eating. It's doing stupid stuff like trying to light a whole pack at once that got me hurt.

9. cognitofalcon

cognitofalcon G'night evry' body!!

My Father lit his back yard on fire as a kid because him and his brother were throwing sparklers over their house. =l I always knew better than to try anything like that, lol.

10. Rusakov

Rusakov Member

Does anyone else feel this way sometimes

I enjoy cartoons, but recently I've become depressed over the fact that some of them aren't real. I think I might be going through something like this.

Has this ever happened to anyone here before? If so, how did you cope with it? Sorry if this seems kind of stupid, but I don't really know what else to do.

11. Shawn Hopkins

The real world offers so much opportunity to experience things that it's silly to mope about the fact that you can't visit imaginary worlds. If you're doing that, it's a sign that your real life is unsatisfactory and you need a change. Shake things up for yourself. Maybe take a class, or start a new hobby, or go on a trip, or join a club.

12. The Talon

The Talon New Member

I remember being sad as a kid that Pizza Planet wasn't a real place after I saw Toy Story for the first time. That's about as close as I've gotten to having that feeling.

13. Dr. Daedalus

Dr. Daedalus I presume.

Seriously. That placed looked awesome.

14. Darklordavaitor

Darklordavaitor Moderator

Well, there is one at Disney Hollywood Studios. I try to make it a habit of going there every time I hit the park, myself. ;)

15. MDawg

MDawg Nerfariously planning

What do you mean it's not real? :sweat:

Yeah, yeah I know theme park and all. Not a bad place, but I'm a total sucker for arcades, so it was cool to go here when I've visited.

16. Michael24

Michael24 Moderator

Well, it's nice that Disney World at least has one.

When Disneyland opened Redd Rocket's Pizza Port in 1998, the first thing I said to my brother was, "Why didn't they make it Pizza Planet from Toy Story? It seems so obvious."

17. Wonderwall

Wonderwall Moderator

Am I the only one who gets annoyed by people putting up a lot of pics or updates of their damn kids on Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, etc :). I have nothing against children but I can't help but recall that Carlin bit about how "Nobody cares about your children. That's why they're..Your children."

If people want to post pics of their kids every once in awhile, fine, I personally would probably never share anything family related but that's just me. However I don't think people need to be assaulted with pics of sonograms, that is just weird, creepy, and somewhat arrogant.

18. Michael24

Michael24 Moderator

I don't like those newer sonograms that are really freaky-looking. But I don't mind seeing pictures of friends' kids. I usually find them adorable, and especially if they are friends I don't get to see often, it's neat to see them growing up and what they're up to.

19. Wonderwall

Wonderwall Moderator

Oh yea those freaky 3D ones, those are strange.

20. Dr. Daedalus

Dr. Daedalus I presume.

Am I the only one who sees virtually no appeal in a smartphone?