1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

ALVINNN!!! and the Chipmunks - Series Talkback (SPOILERS)

Discussion in 'The Nicktoons Forum' started by BeanoMaster, Aug 3, 2015.

1. darwin896

darwin896 New Member

I love the show but only seen two episodes :( may i ask what day time and channel this is on?

2. Cartoon Ruler

Cartoon Ruler I Like Waffles

Weekdays at 2PM and 4PM on Nickelodeon.

3. darwin896

darwin896 New Member

Thanks

4. jaylop97

jaylop97 L Twins

It surprises me that its even getting weekend slots something that Nickelodeon has been lacking for most other cartoons other than Spongebob, I'm glad its doing good :).

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  5. Pac-Attack

Pac-Attack Here if I feel like it

I decided to check it out since this is Nick's savior apparently, eh, it alright. Aside from the horrifying Chipmunk designs, it's pretty innocent. It's a show I'd watch if nothing's on I guess.

6. BeanoMaster

BeanoMaster Active Member

So far, the episodes have been really good. I love the songs. My favorite episode so far is Lil' T.

I would say TMNT and the old writers returning to SB the saviors.

7. Mandouga

Mandouga Well-Known Member

In any event, I'm not sure, but after five half-hour shows, I'm really beginning to wonder if Ouido has been treating this show no differently then anything else they've done, with the writing (admittedly coming from both "Mrs. Bagdasarian" and her son) just happening to work since that's what one would expect from the Alvin and the Chipmunks franchise. I'm referring to what TV Tropes refers to as the "Grandfather Clause" trope. Not that would be a bad thing necessarily, but you see, here's another thing:

Either way, one way or the other, I just realized that there has yet to be any references to The Chipmunks or The Chipettes being popular music groups (with Dave as The Chipmunks' manager, no less), Sure, there have been promos that show them with musical instruments, but that could mean anything (hence, another possible trope: "Never Trust a Trailer"). I'll be direct. Original creators or not, if this show ends up doing an "I wanna be a rock star" episode (read: one where either trio [let alone both] decides "let's be a singing group", thus implying they actually aren't one already, and are "just" living a "normal" life), then that will be it for me, since that would (subtly, I'll admit, but still) officially make this version an in name only version of the franchise that assumes viewers had never any version of The Chipmunks before (even if each story does have one song; there has to be some connection, after all...). Not only that, it would be even worse if such an episode ended with their "popularity" suddenly fizzled out, and they were suddenly "back to normal" (especially if they ended up being "one hit wonders"). Heck, it would be even worse still, if Dave not only wasn't their manager, but would have this done behind his back, giving him reason to (yep. you guessed it) scream Alvin's name, not to mention having him "grounding them for life", as they say, in order to (wait for it...) teach a moral lesson about going around unsupervised, and/or "obeying your parents/respecting your elders".

I don't expect much from this show, and I do realize that everything I just said is (part of) the worst case scenario, but all previous versions have them already established as a popular singing group, with regular references to it. Heck this show uses the "two shorts" format, just like the previous 1980s-1990s version (before switching to full half-hour episodes later) did, so there's plenty of room for it. Indeed, wasn't "David Seville and the Chipmunks" originally a series of singles/record albums that predated the original 1960s Alvin Show? If they were to do the above, that alone would be the worst things ever (again, even if the original creators are involved*).

Of course, there's also the question of whether or not The Chipettes really do live by themselves, or if they have some unseen parent. Currently, they appear to live by themselves, but I just hope the show doesn't imply one thing, but then say something else because of the technicality of never actually having said/mentioned that they lived by themselves. Previously they lived in a (very fancy) treehouse, but I actually don't recall if that's what they live in here (then again, even if it was, it could still potentially just be in their backyard...), but still.

*Well, technically, it's the son of the original creator (Ross Sr., who we lost in 1972), his wife (who's credited as the "creator" of this new show), and their son (who's one of the writers), but still.

8. mimitchi33

mimitchi33 Kyupikon!

I haven't seen this yet, but from the looks of it, it should be interesting. I loved the original show as a kid, so this may be worth a watch.
    (And why the heck does this air on Nick Jr. in the UK and not on Nickelodeon? It's not even for little kids!)

9. BeanoMaster

BeanoMaster Active Member

I have no idea.

10. Mandouga

Mandouga Well-Known Member

Uh, actually, it is. On the other hand, I will agree that it's definitely not (necessarily) the kind of show that one would see on Nick Jr. (either the block that used to be called that, or the network that's now just "NickMom during the day" [long story]).

11. Goldstar Neo

Goldstar Neo Good Morning!

Actually, it is.

Wow, you're still on that?

Dude, leave NickMom alone! That block isn't hurting you and it's not like the NickMom shows are airing during "Little Kids' Time". NickMom is innocuous, but it's harmless. Parents watch TV too! And most parents don't want to watch kiddie shows unless it's with their kids. That's something that you need to accept. I honestly don't understand why the idea of kiddie channels catering to parents after their kids have gone to bed bothers you so much, especially when you're not even a kid or a parent yourself. Just don't watch the block if you don't like it. It's only a big deal if you choose to make it a big deal.

• Winner Winner x 1
    #31 Goldstar Neo, Aug 13, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2015
  12. Goldstar Neo

Goldstar Neo Good Morning!

I saw some of this when it aired after Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles this past Sunday. On the up side, I do like how the Chipmunks and Chipettes are the size of actual chipmunks here, as their being 4 foot tall rodents never made sense to me, and at least now the boys are finally wearing clothes that fit.

On the down side, the chipmunks look even more human like than ever, and then there's the opening title sequence. Not only is the intro made up of episode clips rather than having original animation, but the producers just recycled the 1980s series theme song! It didn't even sound like it was re-scored. Talk about lazy.

13. Yellowshadow

Yellowshadow Member

This show is fairly enjoyable. Nothing special but ok

14. kanc

kanc Well-Known Member

Starting Mon Aug 24 week, unfortunately new episodes of ALVINNN!!! and the Chipmunks were pulled and replaced it with repeat at 4pm. I think they're going to save new episodes in September.

15. kanc

kanc Well-Known Member

Nick once again has pulled new episodes Alvin and Chipmunks 5pm started yesterday this week, and replacing with repeats.

16. jaylop97

jaylop97 L Twins

I bet its due to Total drama The Ridoculous Race airs on the same time and maybe it could lead to ratings shifting from high on CN and lower on nick or vice versa.

While on another topic for Aatc I just wonder why is there only 4 regular voice actors, there use to be more of them in past incarnations, and to be honest the voice actings is not to well for side characters, but the show itself is doing very good and Nick is probably doing well for acquiring this show.

17. rockorockorocko

rockorockorocko Well-Known Member

Nah, I think Nick just continues to realize AatC is a huge ratings catch and they don't want to waste episodes. They'd be wise to use AatC as a lead in for premiere blocks. Whether its addition to Friday evening or another block all together.

18. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

It was interesting to watch today's little marathon of the show after having watched "Alvin and the Chipmunks Meet the Wolfman" again the night before on another channel. Particularly to hear how different the Chipettes sound now compared to the "classic" versions. Especially Eleanor, though that's probably because she's now voiced by Vanessa Chambers instead of Janice Karman, though I think Karman's Jeannette sounds a fair bit different compared to her original voice.

Brittany's pretty much the same of course :).

19. greenmovie

greenmovie Serving Up Smiles!

I think the show is pretty good. It's definitely better than I expected, as I thought it was going to be similar to the movies. (which I thought were awful) It's pretty funny at times. I also like how the episodes develop the characters, which is something not seen in a lot of Nick's other cartoon shows.

20. chipmunksfan

chipmunksfan Member

I agree with the poster above about the character development being good. In fact, it might be the best character development I`ve seen in any children`s cartoon. The combination of the episodic format with this level of character development reminds me of my favorite live action show - Star Trek TNG. Other than that, the stories are very personal and they always strike a chord with me, the characters look adorable and the voices match what they look like spot on. Some of the songs could be better but I`m glad that they stuck to the 80s theme song. I find watching it to be the best way to escape all of the gloom and doom that we constantly get bombarded with in all forms of media, and to have a good time.

Basically, I came here to see what others think about my new favorite cartoon and I just created this profile pretty much just to make this comment.