1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

ALVINNN!!! and the Chipmunks - Series Talkback (SPOILERS)

Discussion in 'The Nicktoons Forum' started by BeanoMaster, Aug 3, 2015.

1. BeanoMaster

BeanoMaster Active Member

[​IMG]
    The first 2 episodes are later today at 4:00.

Principle Interest - Alvin is not thrilled about going back to school; that is, until he sees the new Principal and develops a crush.

Talkin' Teddy - Theodore's new talking-teddy bear is driving Alvin and Simon nuts. The two decide to rewire the bear to follow their instructions.

#1 BeanoMaster, Aug 3, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2015
  2. Mandouga

Mandouga Well-Known Member

No offense, but "4:00" is too early yet for "tonight", but anyway...

I've been thinking about this show, and I just don't know. On the one hand, it seems to similar in many ways to the 1980s-1990s version, but on the other hand, I'm concerned that--as with The Garfield Show before it--it might assume that the viewers are only familiar with the movies, which among other things, try too hard to make the Chipmunks (and the Chipettes, for that matter) "modern". Then again, the official Chipmunks website does acknowledge the previous versions (then again again, they kind of have to...). Moreover, while Alvin has always been portrayed as being a "troublemaker"), the 1980s-1990s version kind of flanderized him into having (seemingly) every single human fault in existence (at least that's what it looked like to me...), all to get a laugh, with Brittany essentially being (almost) nothing more than a female version of Alvin (although she herself would deny it...). Heck, in The Chipmunk Adventure, she was blatantly portrayed as being unable to admit that she was wrong about the hurricane that happened in that one scene.

I know there are certain things to be expected from this show, but I just hope (to put it in perspective) that Alvin (and everyone else for that matter) aren't...too flawed. I also hope that they don't use comedy to set up moral lessons (similar to what the 1980s-1990s version kind of did sometimes; even for the time it wasn't really that funny, IMO). You see, in any show, when comedy has negative consequences afterwards (e.g., a character getting punished in order to illustrate the moral lessons I previously mentioned), it's not really comedy at all; something that was true even during the times when (both of) the previous versions were made.

Oh yeah, and I'm kind of hoping that Dave doesn't end up screaming "ALVIN!!" in every...single...episode. I could be mistaken, but even that didn't happen EVERY single time in the 1980s-1990s version (the 1960s version I'm not so sure about).

3. Goldstar Neo

Goldstar Neo Good Morning!

Most likely, the producers are assuming that KIDS (whom this series is clearly aimed at, otherwise why air it on Nickelodeon at 4 in the afternoon?) are only familiar with the movies, since the previous TV series from the 1950s and the 1980s, respectively were before their time. Also, Alvin and the Chipmunks have always been portrayed as being "modern"; just appropriate for whatever decade they were being used in. The characters' primary shtick has always been singing popular songs of the time, whatever that time happens to be. Alvin couldn't stay stuck in the 1960s or the 1980s because those worlds don't exist anymore and the product would end up looking horribly dated by today's standards.

Comedy is subjective, and quite often comedy involves a certain degree of suffering. However, I do agree in hoping that this series doesn't degenerate in a series of non-stop "Aesops" and "Very Special Episodes". The 80s Alvin and the Chipmunks got pretty darn preachy towards the end it's run.

In any case, Janice Karman is credited as the series' creator, so it should be a faithful adaptation. I'm in no particular hurry to check it out, though, as I've never been a huge Alvin fan.

#3 Goldstar Neo, Aug 3, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2015
  4. Dudley

Dudley Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

It didn't seem too bad, but not worth going out of my way to watch. If it came out in a later time during my normal viewing hours (5-6pm) then I'll check it out. It just comes on too early.

5. StorytellerMJ5

StorytellerMJ5 Active Member

I really enjoyed it. I like the chipmunks, so a new series is something that interests me. It made me laugh a few times and the plotlines were enjoyable, even if they were pretty simple. I'm going to continue watching it for as long as Nick airs it.

6. Silverstar

Silverstar Rock the Dragon

The only thing I find kind off-putting are the Chipmunks and Chipettes' designs; it's good how they're not 4 feet tall like in the 80's series, but now with the different hair colors, the boy Chipmunks look just like the girls: like lolis with strange noses. The more anthropomorphized the characters get the creepier it becomes. Plus, it's ironic that the Chipmunks have gotten smaller and yet their clothes now fit them better than when they were bigger.

Also I'm not sure how I feel about Dave raising all 6 of them. The 'Munks and the Chipettes can't be siblings and potential love interests for one another at the same time. It sounds like the Brady Bunch, where it's an entire family of potential couples. Eeew.

As others have said, it looks harmless enough, but nothing I'd rush home to see.

#6 Silverstar, Aug 4, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2015
  7. StorytellerMJ5

Maybe I missed it, but where was it stated or shown that Dave was raising the Chipettes? I didn't see them in the house and based on a description for a later episode it seems like they don't live there.

8. zoombie

zoombie Well-Known Member

I just wish they gave me just a little bit of Clyde Crashcup, he is the best character from that universe.

9. Goldstar Neo

Here. This is from Wikipedia, but make of it what you will:

Like Silverstar said, the Chippettes are either Alvin, Simon and Theodore's sisters or their potential girlfriends. They can't be both.

Clyde Crashcup literally hasn't been seen since the NBC special A Chipmunk Christmas in 1981, and that was just in a dream sequence. That's also the only time to date where Clyde interacted with Alvin. Clyde is such a strange character and his shorts were so surreal, I imagine that it would be difficult to try to work him into the modern day Alvin stories.

#9 Goldstar Neo, Aug 4, 2015
  10. jaylop97

jaylop97 Commonly found at Night

Honestly I am enjoying the show, unlike the CGI movies the characters are not really bland and the music is original, and the show really makes me think about Sonic Boom as the show does a good job with plotting its not all over the place when it comes to comedy its calm and decent :).
    Also I got to admit I'm kinda surprised that characters like Britney and Eleanor are more different than the werewolf special maybe they have always been more different but to me its kind of a shocker.

#10 jaylop97, Aug 4, 2015
  11. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I decided to check this show out for the heck of it. Using the opening theme from the 80s/90s series caught my attention since I remember checking out that series every now and then. I only saw the first episode and I thought it was okay. I'm not too big on the designs for the characters, but the CGI animation looks fine. I also really doubt that Dave is raising all six Chipmunks like he does in the movies apparently in this show. If the girls were being raised in the same house, I think that there would have been some sign of them during at least the Teddy episode.

The main problem I had was how Alvin was really insufferable. I know that he was always a troublemaker, but his attitude in both episode just made him unlikable, especially when he had an inappropriate crush on his principle and never noticed that she had a ring on despite spending days/weeks going to her office. It seems generally okay. Neither plot stretched out for too long and the characters are well defined. It doesn't seem like it's worth keeping up with the premieres though.

12. StorytellerMJ5

The two episodes today were really good, IMO. I enjoyed them both more than the two from yesterday, and I liked those. The alien episode was fun with some nice humor and I liked how Simon got wrapped up in the plot instead of it just being Alvin.

I really liked the Jeanette episode. It was a really nice episode with the other 5 trying to give her a nice birthday and her realization at the end. I also laughed a bunch. Also, it was shown in this episode that the Chipettes live in their own home and not with the Chipmunks and Dave.

I really enjoy this show and it has a nice charm to it. Since, the ratings seem good for yesterday, I hope Nick airs it for a while.

13. BeanoMaster

The episodes later today (I wasn't online much yesterday):

Sister Act: Following a fight with Brittany, Eleanor decides to move in. Alvin panics! Their "bro zone" has been invaded! Alvin and his brothers decide it's time to strike back.

Lil' T: When his brothers won't listen to his song, Theodore posts a video of himself rapping on the Internet and it becomes a mega-hit! Soon Theodore (now Lil T) is offered a solo career.

14. Mandouga

The Chipettes do live by themselves (just like before). In any case, Eleanor is supposed to be the quieter and more reserved one. Since when is she supposed to be some kind of "valley girl" type (or whatever she is supposed to be)? Still, it's been an okay show so far, but this is just the first three shows. I can only hope that Ross Jr., Janice, and Michael don't try too hard to be "hip" or otherwise "appeal/relate" to the viewers. This show should just focus on being itself and doing what it does best. There's nothing wrong with comedy, it's just that comedy shouldn't force its own sense of humor on anyone. For this reason, I'm just glad Dave isn't screaming Alvin's name in every single episode (thus far). That would be trying too hard, IMO...

15. Silverstar

Silverstar Rock the Dragon

But trying to be 'hip' by having the 'Munks belt out contemporary pop tunes and trying to appeal/relate to kids by putting them in kidcom situations is what Alvin & the Chipmunks have been doing since the 1980's. That IS the show being itself and doing what it does best.

• Winner Winner x 1
  16. BonnieB21:-)

BonnieB21:-) Active Member

I'm enjoying the new show a lot. It reminds me of the 80s one. And I don't hate the designs and the CGI's not bad. It's certainly better than Sabrina and Batman. Maybe because the main focus isn't on the humans. So glad the Chipettes treehouse is back. If I ever hit the Publisher's Clearinghouse sweepstakes- I'm going to build one. And it looks like Dave Seville and the boys kicked The Boondocks out of their house.

17. BeanoMaster

So far, I'm really enjoying this show!

I'm happy they are writing new songs (and songs from the original albums and TV show) instead of using modern pop songs.

18. Mandouga

I was referring to trying to be hip by changing their personalties, among other things, making it completely unrecognizable (i.e., to the point of being in name only). As I mentioned before, they kind of changed Eleanor's personality, and since when was the more intellectual Jeanette obsessed with fairy tales? I also think they kind of tried to make Theodore look dumb with the whole "Lil'T" thing. None of these has really impacted the show at the moment, but if this keeps up it might not be Alvin and the Chipmunks anymore. As I also mentioned before, this show has been alright so far. I just hope it stays that way without resorting to other things other shows have been doing. You know how they say that first impressions aren't always correct? I'm hoping that this first impression is...

19. Goldstar Neo

Well, to be fair, Eleanor didn't have much a personality before other than being the level-headed one. She was always the least interesting of the Chippettes, so pretty much any change in her character would be welcome at this stage. And it's not like Theodore has been portrayed as Einstein up to this point; he was always kind of dumb and silly, so I don't see either of those being dramatic character changes. Also, there are plenty of nerds who love fantasy, case in point, the phenomenal success of the Dungeons & Dragons, Star Wars and Harry Potter franchises.

Also, no offense, but you throw around the term "in name only" quite a bit, to the point where it practically loses it's meaning. You say that every time established fictional characters do things. The truth of the matter is that the Chipmunks and the Chipettes can be whatever the smeg their creators want them to be because they're fictional characters.

#19 Goldstar Neo, Aug 6, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2015
  20. trance2009

trance2009 Fun to play with not to eat

I enjoy the show, it has the classic feel of the previous one plot wise and the vocal inflection is still there that Ross and Janice are known for.

Sent from my Motorola phone using Tapatalk