1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

Almost Toonami

Discussion in 'Toonami (Archived Forum)' started by HG Revolution, May 4, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HG Revolution

HG Revolution Truth (with crazy opinions!)

In it's history, Toonami did so much... But it could have done so much more! Sean and Jason seemed to want more. I was wondering, which shows did they want on Toonami that they almost had but couldn't?

What I can think of off the top of my head:
    -Escaflowne (fate: butchered by FOXKids)
    -Trigun (fate: went to AS, did fine there)
    -Inu-Yasha (fate: went to AS, singlehandedly ruined AS's opinion of anime fans)
    -Last Exile (fate: went to TechTV before that network's programming got burried)
    -Vandread (fate: went to one of the Encore stations)

I wonder how things would have panned out differently had these series reached Toonami (or for that matter, how things would pan out if Yuyu Hakusho came to Toonami first rather than temporarily making this list).

2. Raidon Makoto

Raidon Makoto Long Live The Heroes

Apparently, Lodoss War and Zeta Gundam were both considered for Toonami. Digimon Data Squad, Moribito, Gundam 00, and Gurren Lagann also had the chance to be on Toonami, but were victims of foolish decisions by the Cartoon Network executives.

3. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I didn't think that Digimon Data Squad had much of a chance with airing on Toonami. While I would have preferred that since I didn't get Toon Disney, I think with the other four series having aired on Toon Disney before and Disney owning the airing rights to Digimon made it pretty clear that it was bound to air on Toon Disney.

4. Cassie Star

Cassie Star I have no gender.

True.

There was absolutely no way Data Squad had a chance of airing anywhere EXCEPT Toon Disney.

5. Rolling Cloud

Rolling Cloud ...too early....

If somebody like Funi got it, they could've got Savers on Toonami. >_>

EDIT: Exactly, they didn't take it when they had the chance.

#5 Rolling Cloud, May 4, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2009
  6. Raidon Makoto

It got shopped around before TD picked it up. CN had the chance, but didn't take it.

7. macattack

macattack I see you!
    Staff Member Reporter

Actually, rust is right here. Data Squad/Savers WAS shopped around in mid-2007 before it wound up on TD. A lot of Toonami fans actually expected the show to wind up on Toonami in one of the lead-in slots because Squad was a darker take on the Digimon franchise like Tamers was. They didn't think TD would have the guts to air it (neither did I, for that matter).

8. Cassie Star

Really?

This is new information to me, and I keep up with just about everything in the world of animation.

9. Gonzales

Gonzales Active Member

The Escaflwone Fox Kids dub wasn't all that bad. In fact, it was basically just Bandai's dub with some edits and goofy music changes. I enjoyed it, for as long as it lasted.

Not to go off-topic, but Fox Kids actually had the rights to Slayers for a little while, if you can believe it.

10. The Man in Black

The Man in Black I have 5 of broats

I'm not sure HOW relevant this is, but a show I definitely miss is: Flint: The Time Detective.

Can't find episodes of it anywhere..

11. J'onn J'onzz

J'onn J'onzz Best Male Member '08

There's a section on TDA about this actually...

http://toonamiarsenal.com/download/almost.php

I don't know very much about the behind the scenes deals for most of the ones listed, but for stuff I have a vague idea on:

Pilot Candidate and Gundam 0083 were originally going to air on Toonami, and edited as such, then ended up airing on the new Adult Swim Action block.

Silverhawks I believe aired before Toonami on weekdays for a while, and some TV guides thought it was airing on the midnight run (not sure if this was a mistake by the guides or a last second cancelation).

Interstella 5555 partially aired on Toonami at one point, I think? As music videos for some late night music special.

Star Blazers, Patlabor, The Harlock Saga, and Record of Lodoss War all aired on Toonami reactor, but not Toonami itself.
    They also had Detective Conan, and would have aired it if Escaflowne had done well.

12. soundmonkey44

soundmonkey44 Melancholic Man.

you could probably find some of the DVDs one either Amazon or Ebay.

13. J!!!

J!!! You're such a little kid~

I wonder how Gurren Lagaan could have worked considering taking out the cursing would be like taking piece of the shows soul away.............But IGPX did have a lot of cursing too and it aired on Toonami but at a horrible timeslot.

14. Cassie Star

Yeah it did. The first 4 parts of it anyway.

15. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I didn't hear anything about this either. I also thought that Disney still had some kind of rights with Digimon, I think the rights to air the series, since the previous four series had aired on Toon Disney. To be honest, I also didn't think that Data Squad was that dark or at least not dark enough for Toon Disney not to consider airing.

16. Raidon Makoto

Disney had the rights to the first four. Toei has the rights to Data Squad. That's why Toei is selling Data Squad's DVDs atm.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.