1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

"Akira" Live-Action Pre-Release Discussion (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'The Entertainment Board' started by Jongoco, Mar 22, 2011.

1. Jazz1000

Jazz1000 Evil PLANS...

Is this like the anime film? I might watch both ether way
    Sorry if I'm asking an odd question this just the first time that ill see Akira

2. HG Revolution

HG Revolution Truth (with crazy opinions!)

You could arguably make that criticism of Akira, but nothing in his work shows he can do better characters, and furthermore saying that Japan never has interesting characters is just racist.

3. Space Cadet

Space Cadet I'M SWEATING
    Staff Member Moderator

A sequel is in development. I believe the original writers aren't attached to it, though.

4. Golden Geek

Golden Geek Gera Gera Po

I don't want to live on this planet anymore. This movie is going to be total crap if someone with such a bad attitude on the original source material can't even respect it.

"They never have strong characters"? DO YOU WANNA FIGHT ME, COLLET-SERRA?

(Okay, maybe I got a little carried away there...)

5. KYO'NYUU IMOUTO

I think it is a safe bet to say this movie is never going to be made, especially after comments like these have been made. While the Akira film (which I assume he was referring to) isn't anything too special it is pretty dumb to go about calling an entire nation's fictional characters 'shallow' because it is a 'cultural thing'.

6. Lord Dalek

Lord Dalek Uncreative Hack

Every time this movie threatens to get taken out of DH, we all pray it immediately gets put back in (seriously, the only time we had a shot of getting a decent film out of Akira was when Ruari Robinson and Gary Whitta were working on it). Nothing good could possibly can come out of a live action Akira especially when you have a Eurotrash hack on the level of a Pierre Morel or Olivier Megaton desiring to work on it.

7. MDawg

MDawg Nerfariously planning

8. Mostezli

Mostezli Corroborating with EVIL

On the bright side, it's being written by the one Daredevil writer I got nothing but praise for.

9. MDawg

10. Gold Guy

Gold Guy Ride On
    Staff Member Moderator

• Informative Informative x 1
  11. MDawg

• Like Like x 1
  12. Gold Guy

Gold Guy Ride On
    Staff Member Moderator

After Get Out became one of the biggest horror films ever (domestically) I'm not surprised. Gives me even more incentive to watch the film.

• Like Like x 1
  13. MDawg

Not even two months have gone by and Jordan Peele removed himself as a candidate for the project.
    I hope the project remains dead. Maybe the failure of GitS is enough for WB to cool down on it now.

14. Gold Guy

Gold Guy Ride On
    Staff Member Moderator

It's really a merry-go-round with this film...

15. TheVileOne

TheVileOne Peace Loving Shinobi
    Reporter

You can't make a Hollywood version of Akira. It's impossible. Also guys, look, the anime movie isn't that good. It's visually and technically brilliant. Undeniable. The basic setup and premise are good, but it's not told in the best way. The manga is the real meat and potatoes version of Akira.

Jordan Peele did right by removing himself from this conversation. Trying to direct an Akira movie is an unwinnable battle.

Akira has cult status, but it's brand recognition is not that high. Even with Jordan Peele on board, that's not necessarily putting butts in the seats. The original was hardly some global phenomenon. It was a cool anime movie that got some notoriety when it was brought overseas. But it hardly broke out and enjoyed the level of popularity that say something like the Pokemon anime did in the late 90s.

Also if he did the movie, there would be so much debate over all of his decisions, especially the casting. It's not worth the hysteria. Peele should continue doing his own projects that he wants to do like Get Out.

16. AdrenalineRush1996

AdrenalineRush1996 Active Member

Well, it was already dead when Jaume Collet-Serra made some unflattering comments.

Sent from my LG-H850 using Tapatalk

17. Neo Ultra Mike

Neo Ultra Mike Creeping Shadow of "15000"+ Posts

It should be pointed out that the only reason something like Ghost In The Shell got made as a big Hollywood movie with a lot of money sunk into it is because they were able to get Scarlett Johanesson arguably one of the biggest stars on the planet as the main lead. Which caused a huge amount of contreversery and even though the movie actually gave a reason for her casting there was still such a backlash from critics and fan it resulted int a failure of a project. Thus kind of proving there is NO incentive for a studio to try and do a remake of an anime film if there isn't enough of a "bankable" star/stars of actual ethnicity for the role and that trying to "white wash" the part isn't going to net any gain. And you know something like Ghost In The Shell at least not only had a well known movie behind it but a series as well. Akira really only has the movie and the manga based on it from 20+ years back and that's not really enough to get a green light especially if anyone interested in the project doesn't believe in the idea of doing a remake that much. Jordan Peele kind of at this point has a blank check in terms of whatever project he wants to make on his own at least in the mid to low high budget range of original ideas. He could probably get anything if he also helmed a high concept based on something else film but why take that risk especially on something like Akira? So yeah makes total sense why he backed out and hopefully it is a sign for them to stop this project dead in it's tracks and this time make sure it stays stopped.

18. Johnny Flume

Johnny Flume New Member

It's hard to say how this would pan out, but personally I don't see how they could possibly create a film that had the same scope and flexibility that the original Akira did. It would need a huge budget, which would mean it would need to sell a vast number of tickets, which in turn means it would need a lower age rating to appeal to as much of the market as possible. And because of that it would exclude a lot of the violence and egregious scenes that make Akira what it is. I dunno man, I just don't think it can be done

19. jaylop97

jaylop97 Commonly found at Night

Knowing the common situation for these adaptations. I can't blame actors for opting out knowing what ends up happening.

20. Checkerboard

Checkerboard THE HOME OF THE TOP TOON STARS

I think it can work. But it will be even harder to make than GITS.