1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

"Akira" Live-Action Pre-Release Discussion (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'The Entertainment Board' started by Jongoco, Mar 22, 2011.

1. Bat-Fan Beyond

Bat-Fan Beyond Active Member

First of all, Akira is in a totally different ballpark than Street Fighter, Mario Bros., and The Lord of the Rings...

Street Fighter and Mario Brothers are concepts originally developed for video games that crossed over into other mediums. Personally, it's hard for me to take anything thats original source material is a video game as something serious (but that's another argument).

The Lord of the RIngs is an epic work of literature. When Jackson made his films, he wasn't remaking the animated movie (even though he may have been influenced by it to some degree), he was making a live-action adaptation of something older, highly respected, very icon, and easily accepted to transcend its original source material and be adapted into any medium.

Akira is originally a Japanese comic book that was adapted (by its own creator) into animation. It's a natural transition from one medium to the other, and a pretty faithful one at that. Could a live-action Akira film work? Possibly. But most likely not, if you have too many things that make the concept of Akira apppealing thrown away: The style of artwork and animation, the Japanese characters (designs and names), the whole Japanese setting and the allegory of nuclear holocaust. If these things that are important to the original concept are absent, then you only have a diluted premise that should not be called Akira at all.

I guess Akira could share the same field as Dragon Ball, but like you said, Dragon Ball is crap anyway, and I can't argue with that.

I think Akira compares best with Avatar: The Last Airbender, because, although Avatar:TLA wasn't originally a comic, like Akira, it was still a great animated project that was well produced and has a strong following amongst anime fans. I wouldn't be so opposed to a live-action film of either of these, Akira or Avatar: TLA, if they could be adapted with at least 98% faithfulness, but Avatar: TLA has already proved otherwise, and the fear of attempting it with Akira is totally justified, especially when there is more to lose by it being produced by Americans which want to do more "racebending" with Japanese elements becoming totally eliminated or wrongfully replaced.

2. NewcomerDC

NewcomerDC Active Member

3. Bat-Fan Beyond

Bat-Fan Beyond Active Member

I hope this is a sign the movie is dead. If Warner Brothers really wanted to do justice to Akira, they should just hire Katsuhiro Otomo to direct it.

4. King_of_doom

King_of_doom kiva fan

Sadly Hollywood doesn't want to get involve with the creators, i mean if that was the case Michael Dante DiMartino and Bryan Konietzko would have been involve with the Last Airbender or when George Romero was being more faithful when the Resident Evil movie was starting to develop until Paul Anderson took it from him making his own twisted version.

Anyway i do hope this movie get the axe because it does seems like they are having alot of difficulty on making it, especially when the changes from the original story sounds awful and the cast......no comment.

5. MDawg

MDawg Nerfariously planning

This movie just won't die, no matter how many people want it to not exist.

6. Astrolupine

Astrolupine Man on the wing.

Crumbs, busy posting day for me.

Anyway, last post for today. The newest director to sign up is the dude behind Unknown and that silly-looking Orphan horror film. Not the first guy you think of for 'big-budget apocalyptic sci-fi', but I guess Warner is getting desperate now.

http://www.variety.com/article/VR1118039904?refCatId=13

7. Ackar

Ackar Member

http://blastr.com/2011/11/rumor-of-the-day-kristen.php"]Kristen Stewart offered lead role in Akira

[​IMG]

8. I.R. Shokew

I.R. Shokew DISGRACED and Rooting ONLY for Underdogs

Meh.. This'll (hopefully) flop anyway. Do I even need to explain why?

9. King_of_doom

King_of_doom kiva fan

I pic the role more for Mary Elizabeth Winstead but since we all know this will going to flop i'm glad Mary isn't part of it.

10. GingaDaiuchuu

GingaDaiuchuu Active Member

Whatever. Terrible choices as always. The movie probably won't happen. If it does, probably won't be good. Oh well.

11. defunctzombie

defunctzombie 1992 not 2002
    Staff Member Moderator

Oh, good grief. That woman can't act, and the last thing Kei's character needs is a cardboard actress.

12. Aquadementia

Aquadementia That's a lot of Mulaney!
    Staff Member Moderator

Just turn it into a musical or operetta already.
    Pleeeeease make it an operetta.

13. AJ Skyterra

AJ Skyterra The Crystal Bending Gem of Science

So as an adaption of the manga it's probably (kay...more than likely) gonna flop with fans, but those who aren't familiar with the already existing property will look at it as a standalone sci-fi flick. So I guess the only hope is to see how it does with that. (Which is pointless to even call it Akira. They could've just wrote an original sci-fi script instead of basing it off the manga and changing so many things about it.)

14. Astrolupine

Astrolupine Man on the wing.

15. MDawg

MDawg Nerfariously planning

Bumping cause the project is still active and the hack of a director attached is a mega jerk.

Yes, the director of such "deep" movies like House of Wax has any place to talk about good characters.

16. Gold Guy

Gold Guy Ride On
    Staff Member Moderator

Did...he just openly insult the original movie?

Why is he directing this again?

17. King_of_doom

King_of_doom kiva fan

Thought this was already dead. It's clear he hasn't even read the manga where the animated movie got parts of what would be building later on. And yeah, the same guy who directed "House of Wax" knows about strong characters..........leave this thing to rest, it will flop big time.

18. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Honestly, I didn't think that the characters in the movie were too particularly interesting myself, but the movie stood out more for its technical aspects more than anything else to me. Even so, it's still a pretty bad sign that the director openly insulted the movie and given what I've heard of House of Wax, I don't think he has much ground to talk about strong characters either.

19. The Talon

The Talon Active Member

This is the same mindset that gave us crap like Dragonball: Evolution and The Last Airbender, but this probably be stuck in development hell so I'm not worrying.
    But why do we even need an Akira adaptation? We got Chronicle for that.

20. Dudley

Dudley Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Dang, beat me to it.
    Yeah, Chronicle is as close to a good adaptation of Akira as we're gonna get. I wish that movie would get a sequel...