1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

"Akira" Live-Action Pre-Release Discussion (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'The Entertainment Board' started by Jongoco, Mar 22, 2011.

1. Jongoco

Jongoco Member

2. the greenman

the greenman Well-Known Member

Michael Fassbender looks a little old to be playing a teenager.

I will definitely check this out, only cause they're going off the graphic novels.

3. Young Justice

Young Justice Silent Master Apprentice

If the live action movie will still be named "Akira" the actors shouldn't be japanese, or at least from eastern countries? What connection to Japan this live action movie would have to still be called "Akira"?

4. King_of_doom

King_of_doom kiva fan

The thing is that the whole place will take on New York instead of Tokyo, that's what i remember when they first mention about the live action movie. what i hate its that they are getting actors who are TOO OLD to play teenagers.....they are in their freaking 30's for crying out loud! You wish to get people on being faithful to something either comics, manga, tv, books yet they try to do it their own way.

5. Young Justice

I don't really mind trading Tokyo for New York if the story still remains faithfull to the original. Of course, casting old actors (Michael Fassbender?) doesn't help on that part.

But if all actor would be westerners, makes sense to still name this movie "Akira"?

Of course, having the live action version happening in a more international and cosmopolitan Tokyo, mixing japanese and westerners actors would be much more interesting.

Most interesting would be a entirely japanese production for this live action adaptation, but this way the movie wouldn't exist. The US Market wouldn't accept too well a movie like that.

6. Bat-Fan Beyond

Bat-Fan Beyond Active Member

I'm not sure I'm fond of the idea of a live-action American production of "Akira," especially when the cast is too old to be playing teengers.

Even if the story is adapted from Akira, it should not be called Akira, nor have characters named Tetsuo, Kenada, etc.

7. the greenman

This could be done right if they think about it in terms like The Ring and The Grudge American remakes.

I hate to say it, but Pattinson looks the part most firmly. He looks like he could be half Asian. Too bad J.Gordon Levitt is not looking into this though.

8. Astrolupine

Astrolupine Man on the wing.

Cripes, Robert Pattinson?
    I'm depressed now. But mainly that the overall project itself is still alive.

9. Bat-Fan Beyond

I hear ya. I smell something that could wind up worse than a live-action Avatar: The Last Airbender movie. If this film deviates too much from the source material and takes too many liberties with its adaptation, then it will only defile the perspective of Akira for people unfamiliar with the manga or anime.

10. King_of_doom

King_of_doom kiva fan

I think this is why Ruairi Robinson stopped being involved with the movie, can't blame him but at least if Blinky or Silent City get a full length movie i will definitely watch it.

11. Young Justice

But none of those movies had a title that is a japanese personal name. In addition the American version of "The Grudge" takes place in Tokyo.

12. the greenman

True, but it is still possible for Akira to be Akira. He could be in Japan or NYC. Just like they kept the Ju-on ghosts the same. They did change Sadako for Samara though.

13. Young Justice

Yeah but what about western actors playing characters named Tetsuo and Kaneda? In this case they will change the name of the main characters of the story.

14. KYO'NYUU IMOUTO

Silliness. Absolute silliness. I'm not sure how to sum it up any better than that, really. Akira is a Japanese comic about Japanese characters taking place in Japan. It is inherently going to be Japanese. Tossing those elements away like they are disposable is silliness.

15. the greenman

I agree the names could be an issue. That doesn't mean they can't give explanations.

16. Bat-Fan Beyond

I kind of have to agree. It's like throwing the baby out with the bath water.

17. Nexonius

Nexonius Ten, count em', ten years!

Robert Pattinson? Seriously?

Seriously?!

Have they NOT learned from The Last Airbender here? All hopes tarnished. Again.

Not watching it.

18. NightSpirit

NightSpirit Member

False. There are plenty of successful examples throughout film and TV of stories from other cultures being adapted to another culture's setting with characters from the new culture's nationality. The Magnificent Seven is the first thing off the top of my head. There's nothing about Akira that is inherently "Japanese" such that the story could never take place in another country. It's about street gangs on motorcycles and fairly generic sci-fi themes. Neo-Tokyo and the "character" of the city was one of the most important elements of the story - there's no reason they can't make it Neo-New York or Neo-LA, with American biker gangs and the same basic sci-fi themes.

They'd have to change character names to not be Japanese, but again there's no reason they can't do that. The only name they probably can't change is Akira, since, well, the whole reason to make a live-action Akira movie is to bank on the name value of the property. But they could make it work.

There's also a lot of unsuccessful examples, and it might be terrible, but the point is it can and has been done.

19. KYO'NYUU IMOUTO

Where did I say it 'cannot' be done?

I said it should not be done. It's stupid and perpetuates the idea that we need to be spoken down to when it comes to accepting foreign media.

20. Bat-Fan Beyond

I agree again.

This is not the same as Americans adapting Godzilla, which can basically be distilled down to a giant monster attacking a city or fighting other giant monsters. With Akira, there is a whole cast of characters that are Japanese and have Japanese names. There is a whole city, Neo-Tokyo, that is the setting after a nuclear holocaust (even more analogous with Hiroshima and Nagasaki, as well as current events, than a giant radioactive monster). There is the original medium/genre of manga and anime to consider, which comes from Japan and by rights, if were to be adapted into live-action, should be adapted, if not by the Japannese, at the very least with total respect and faithfulness to the Japanese.

Think about it. If no one had ever seen a live action Superman movie before, but we all still knew and appreciated Superman, the All American Icon that he is, just the same from cartoons and comics, but another country somehow got the rights to do a live-action feature for the first time, but decided to change the traditional red color of his cape to say blue or even green, or something, the uproar in the U.S. would be heard all around the world because it, and how another nation defiled what was ours. And that would just be some small, but obviously important, detail -- Can you imagine if his name, and the whole cast was changed, and the name of the city he lives in, etc. etc.?

I'm not saying that Akira is as iconic as Superman, but just looking at the source material, the strong fan-followings, and the national representation, it still needs to be paid the same kind of respect.

#20 Bat-Fan Beyond, Mar 24, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 24, 2011