Adam Sandler teams with Genndy Tartakovsky in "Hotel Transylvania"

Discussion in 'The toonzone - General Animation Discussion' started by the greenman, Jul 6, 2011.

1. the greenman

the greenman Well-Known Member

2. Peter Paltridge

Peter Paltridge Steven Sword! Moderator

Well, at least the directing and timing will be nice. But Sandler and Kevin James together at last? That's a nasty casserole even with Tartakovsky sauce.

3. Juu-kuchi

Juu-kuchi Everypony's Starry-Eyed

It can't be as awful as Eight Crazy Night....

...Can it?

4. the greenman

What do you mean at last? They did " Chuck and Larry" & "Grownups".

5. Peter Paltridge

Peter Paltridge Steven Sword! Moderator

I wouldn't know.

6. Aquadementia

Aquadementia That's a lot of Mulaney! Moderator

Hurray for Genddy getting a feature film!

But holy SpaghettiOs[SUP]®[/SUP], that may be the most horrific celebrity voice casting in history.
    And every character in an Adam Sandler movie is so poorly developed and characterized.

On one hand I already want to pre-order the DVD because of Genndy, but the only way to actually watch it is using the Spanish or French Language option.

7. HG Revolution

HG Revolution Truth (with crazy opinions!)

Sounds like a remake of Mad Monster Party.

I sure hope Genndy knows what he's doing with this. I'd have no interest if not for him.

8. Darklordavaitor

Darklordavaitor Moderator Moderator

When I first read the title, I thought it said Andy Samberg.

To be honest, I don't know if that would be any better, but I'm still interested if only for Tartakovsky.

9. Evo

Evo Agent of Providence

Wasn't Dexter's Laboratory: Ego Trip the first?

It sounds like it might be good except the cast. But, hey, Bolt had Miley Cyrus, and it was good.

Sent from my iPod touch using toonzone

10. the greenman

I'm a farily big fan of Adam Sandler since SNL, and Samberg is a cheap ripoff. Ironically, he's also starring in this film.

Here's the full story:

http://www.hitfix.com/articles/adam-sandler-will-give-voice-to-dracula-in-hotel-transylvania

If you wanna count that, cool, I don't. I doubt Genndy will count that either.

11. Dudley

Dudley Moderator Moderator

Ah Genndy Tartovkosky will have his time to shine on the big screen. I just hope this movie will be good and do good at the box office. This film's been in development since I graduated high school.

12. Daxdiv

Daxdiv Yo-Kai Son!

This is going to be weird to watch. I'll give it a shot cause of Genndy and Sandler. Even if it does feel like a weird combination of people working together.

13. PaperBritt

PaperBritt New Member

Wow. This might actually be the worst animation news story I've read all year. I think this might actually be worse than SBT being cancelled. But then again, as someone pointed out, Miley Cyrus was in Bolt, and that was another movie that went through a couple of directors, so maybe this can work? I mean, this wouldn't be as bad if it was just Adam Sandler, but with Kevin James? I gotta go marathon Samurai Jack and Sym Bionic Titan to give myself faith in this film again. (I know this is all sounds exaggerated, but I honestly do dislike Adam Sandler that much.)

14. the greenman

Not that you owe me one, I really wish you guys would give an explanation why you HATE Adam Sandler. I'll agree his past few films are pretty bad, but I would say Billy Madison thru Big Daddy were all good films for me.

The thing is, I actually think guys like Steve Carrell and Will Ferrell (Both Megamind and Despicable were pretty bland and their buddy John C. Reilly is repeating their track record) are worse for these films because they can't really perform. Sandler was a great stand-up and has proven classics like "The Hanakah Song" behind him, what do those other guys have? I'm not a fan of Kevin James either, and I have yet to see his collaborations with Sandler, but with Genndy I'm willing to give this the benefit of the doubt.

15. Marvin Tikvah

Marvin Tikvah New Member

But I like Adam Sandler :sad:

Honestly, as long as Tartokovsky has full creative control, I have complete faith in this movie. He deserves it after how many homeruns he's made for CN.

16. Silverstar

Silverstar Game On!

Here's a more detailed synopsis courtesy of the Big Cartoon Database:

[FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica]

17. Jzpierce

Jzpierce New Member

Eight Crazy Nights had some good animation, perhaps that will show in this.

18. PaperBritt

PaperBritt New Member

Augh. I'm calling it right now: ending dance number with Murry singing "King Tut". I guarantee it.That's it, optimism about this movie is officially over for me. Hopefully Tartakovsky will leave this project just like the several directors before him did. If he doesn't, lets hope he uses the money the film makes from little kids and Sandler fans (is their a difference though?) to make something good.

19. HG Revolution

HG Revolution Truth (with crazy opinions!)

Funny, I was thinking it would involve him doing this instead: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YfDPcqGw14E

20. KarlOlson

KarlOlson Art Imitates Life Moderator Reporter

If he could tap the Funny People/Punch Drunk Love, serious Adam Sandler as much as the goofy Sandler, it might work. It's definitely a hard position to work from though, and frankly, I'm still surprised none of the other major animation powerhouses have tried to snag Tartokovsky (or any of the other great CN talent for that matter.) He seems like a much better fit for "Pixar original"-material than "cast full of celebrities trying to cover for an otherwise mediocre premise"-material.

Hollywood makes no sense.

I hope this actually works out, and unlike the half dozen other Tartokovsky-related pictures that ultimately were killed or that dropped him before they ever launched, this actually goes through. If nothing else, he's already earned any paycheck he gets in animation from his prior successes.