1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

"Action Comics (2011 Ongoing)" Series Talkback (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'DC Comics and Collectibles' started by James Harvey, Sep 7, 2011.

?

Rate and Comment - "Action Comics"

1. *****

62.5%
  2. ****1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. ****

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. ***1/2

25.0%
  5. ***

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. **1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. **

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. *1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. *

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 1/2

12.5%
  1. James Harvey

James Harvey The World's Finest
    Staff Member Administrator Moderator Reporter

Fallout from Forever Evil!

ACTION COMICS #30

[​IMG]

Written by GREG PAK
    Art and cover by AARON KUDER

Following the events of FOREVER EVIL, Superman confronts Lex Luthor – but the world has turned around for these two. The hero has become the villain and the villain the hero as forces beyond these two gather to destroy the Man of Steel, beginning with a dormant Doomsday who has crossed over from the Phantom Zone!

Comments?

2. Wonder Woman

Wonder Woman Well-Known Member

Even though this issue extra artists listed it was still a pretty good read. Not as good as the last few issues but it looks like the issue having to tie into both Forever Evil and the upcoming Doomed crossover maybe botched the comic up a little. It's still the best Superman comic on the stands and the best the character has been written in some time.

3. James Harvey

And now....the fallout from Doomed!

ACTION COMICS #30

[​IMG]

Written by GREG PAK

“SUPERMAN: DOOMED AFTERMATH”! In the aftermath of “Doomed” – what is left of The Man of Steel? And what’s become of Smallville?

Comments?

4. Wonder Woman

It seemed like this book is trying to juggle the fallout of Doomed with getting things back to how they were before this book got soaked up in crossovers. I do find it a bit weird how some of the characters basically blame Clark and say he is specifically wrong for everything that happened. I get that it's something he should be upset about but some pushed it a bit too far. It seems like we're going to get this cycle where Superman does something heroic, gets slammed for it, mopes about it, and then repeat.

5. James Harvey

A new storyline starts here! Check out the best Superman comic around!

ACTION COMICS #36

[​IMG]

Written by GREG PAK

A new epic begins! The deck is stacked against Superman when Smallville is poisoned by the appearance of dark magic and ancient horrors! Can Superman figure out what's going on and save his hometown before this evil epidemic spreads across the entire world?

Comments?

6. Wonder Woman

I love the artwork but the story wasn't that strong. Maybe it's because the book is still trying to shake off the "Doomed" arc. I think it's great that this book is kinda staying rooted in Smallville. With the other Superman comic exploring Superman on a bigger scale its nice to get this more personal touch.

7. James Harvey

Horror comes to Smallville!

ACTION COMICS #37

[​IMG]

Written by GREG PAK

The spread of evil supernatural forces in Smallville continues to get worse – and Superman has no way to stop it. Will this damnation contamination spread to the rest of the world?

Comments?

8. Wonder Woman

I really like how this book is so creepy. It's almost like a horror book, at least this arc is. While Superman Unchained and Superman are getting a lot of press right now because of their big name creative teams I think this book is really flying under the radar as one of DC's best. It doesn't help that the "Doomed" arc didn't go over that well which is probably keeping some people away from it but this has been a great book. And I really like how Kuder did a few new things with his art style in this issue for some of the older scenes. And I like how they are showing how Superman sometimes has to learn how to use his powers and that it might not work every time.

9. James Harvey

The best Superman comic out there keeps getting better and better!

ACTION COMICS #38

[​IMG]

Written by GREG PAK

The Horror of Smallville has been unleashed on the world! Superman must stop the evil undead threat of the Ultrahumanite from crushing humanity!

Comments?

10. Wonder Woman

It's a shame this book is constantly getting overlooked month after month. It's easily the best Superman book out there right now. Pak gets Superman and the art by Kuder is amazing. His take on Superman is fantastic and he has made some of the creatures in this arc really look effectively creepy and just gross. I thought Pak's last arc really went big but this one is a bit more personal. I am a bit worried they'll be dropped after Convergence. Lana Lang has been just a great character here too. Is anyone reading this awesome comic?

11. James Harvey

Superman becomes - literally - the Man of Steel! The best Superman comic no one is reading continues!

ACTION COMICS #39

[​IMG]

Written by GREG PAK
    Art and cover by SCOT KOLINS

The terror from Smallville has spread across the globe, and now Superman must make a sacrifice to save it! Don't miss the final chapter of "Horrorville"!

Comments?

12. Wonder Woman

What's crazy is how Pak is able to pull off a horror-themed arc starring Superman. Who would ave thought those two would go so well together. I like how Pak's Superman is exactly what he should be. He's brave, contemplative, smart and just about everything else we'd expect him to be. It's crazy that this book isn't talked about more. Smallville has never been more interesting, too and I love how Pak doesn't dwell on the dark moments of Superman's past but uses them to show how they made them into the man he is today. For everyone complaining about how awful The New 52 is, blah blah blah blah, this comic right here is the answer to all of that. This comic is awesome.

13. James Harvey

The final story before the Convergence focuses on Bizarro! The best Superman book on the market keeps getting better!

ACTION COMICS #40

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Written by GREG PAK

Bizarro make Superman sane! Happy to see each other! No fighting ever!

Comments?

14. Wonder Woman

Now THIS is a great comic and likely my favorite book of the week - even better than the crazy great Howard the Duck #1! I really emotional issue that also happened to be overflowing with great jokes and a awesome gags. If this is what the Bizarro mini-series is going to be like than count me in. It's a shame so many people are overlooking this book for such petty reasons, they are missing out on one of the best superhero comics out there right now. The art is beautiful and the story hits all the right notes. Kuder's version of Bizarroworld is flat-out amazing. It's the best version of Bizarroworld to date, hands down. This comic is just so so so so good.

15. James Harvey

Quite possibly the most under-appreciated DC Comics title returns! The new DC Universe is here! Are you ready?

ACTION COMICS #41

[​IMG]

Written by GREG PAK

The epic new storyline "TRUTH" begins! For Superman, there’s no more holding back!

Comments?

(This issue is flat-out great - do not miss it!)

16. Wonder Woman

To those who say there are no good Superman comics, let me point you to Action Comics. This comic has been flying under the radar for so long. It's actually disappointing to see people say Superman has become some awful character, when that couldn't be further from the truth. Maybe he's not being handled well elsewhere, as he can be a bit rough around the edges in some of the other DC books, but Action Comics has been the best Superman comic in years ever since Greg Pak took over and the 'Doomed" storyline got out of the way. That moment, with the revelation of "Kentville" was actually pretty touching stuff, and seeing Superman's new role as a "man of the people" has never felt more relevant, especially with the cliffhanger. One of the best books out there, Superman or otherwise.

17. rggkjg1

rggkjg1 Batman v Superman

After that positive assessment, I sat down and read all the post "Doomed" issue and I am all caught up. I think I enjoyed it more than the Pak issues of Batman/Superman, but I found it mediocre. I don't know if its because it's the New 52 or the recent Johns arc in Superman (which I think might continue to be THE Superman title if the Gene Luen Yang run will be as impressive as Johns') was really good. I'll see where Action Comics goes. I think I might have a better idea of the Greg Pak run if it stood on its own and wasn't mostly doing tie ins to other stories or crossovers.

18. James Harvey

The best Superman comic on the stands fights for "Truth!"

ACTION COMICS #42

[​IMG]

Written by GREG PAK

The Superman epic you never expected – “TRUTH” continues! Who will stand by Clark Kent?

Comments?

19. Wonder Woman

What I love about this comic is how Pak's Superman is reduced to the core of who Superman is and it's really well done and so apt. The power of Superman is in his belief, compassion, and courage. Clark is now living in a world where he's powerless, and watching those characteristics come out of him despite overwhelming odds is exactly what makes him great. It's like we're seeing him become the Superman we know he'd meant to be and it is glorious. And a Superman comic where the police can be villains is a comic we might need right now. This is probably the single best issue of Superman since the New 52 began.

20. James Harvey

Superman takes a stand ... but will he survive? The best Superman comic in years continues!

ACTION COMICS #43

[​IMG]

Written by GREG PAK

“Truth” continues as Superman defies the Metropolis police and faces a new threat from the shadows!

Comments?