ABC reviving American Idol

Discussion in 'The Entertainment Board' started by Daikun, Feb 9, 2017.

1. wonderfly

wonderfly Shaking things up a bit
    Staff Member Administrator

Still way, way too soon. I mean, enough time has passed for nostalgia to kick in about those early seasons (from 2002 to 2006 - the years when American Idol was a phenomenon), but that's nostalgia in general - everything from 2002/2003 is now roughly 15 years old, which is when nostalgia kicks in, usually.

Maybe if they had cancelled American Idol after 2010 (the year they started implementing changes to the judges), and maybe if they had spared us from the horror of Steven Tyler as an American Idol judge (he started in 2011), then MAYBE we'd be set for the return of American Idol.

But this just doesn't feel right...

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Mandouga

Mandouga Well-Known Member

(sigh) Oh brother. Not this again. "Nostalgia" this, "nostalgia" that. The fact is, American Idol is coming back. That's all there is to it. Why are some people thinking that this is mainly (if not only) being brought back for the sake of "nostalgia"?

When Family Feud ended on ABC in 1985, it was brought back on CBS three years later. Does that mean CBS brought it back just for "nostalgia"? Really, everyone, I personally think you're looking too far into this. In any case, it may be that the reason the Fox version was cancelled was because they wanted to consider moving the show to some other network. Heck, they might have wanted to move it to Netflix or something, if they wanted.If

In any case, American Idol is being brought back after a three year hiatus. It's as simple as that.

If my annoyance has made people feel bad, then I apologize, since I wasn't trying to. It's just that I hear the word "nostalgia" get thrown around sometimes, and I just don't think that word means what some people think it means. I mean, a show that was cancelled two years ago is now suddenly "nostalgia"? No offense, wonderfly, but that just doesn't feel right...

3. wonderfly

wonderfly Shaking things up a bit
    Staff Member Administrator

I'm not saying ABC's thinking that they're bringing it back for nostalgia, but I am saying there's no real demand for the show to return. A quote from Golden Geek on page 1 of this thread comes to mind: "If it comes back now, the majority of people will just be like "Wow, that's still on?"

Sometimes, nostalgia is a good way to bring back a show (like the initial interest in the 2003 "Battlestar Galactica", or maybe a better example is the 2008 "American Gladiators"). Sometimes it works out, sometimes it doesn't.

My point was more along the lines of this: If the show had ended around 2009 or 2010, BEFORE it got horribly stale and the judges became jokes, maybe they could tap into nostalgia for the early seasons as a way to bring it back. Here, in the present day, ABC is just hoping to get in on the "singing competition" bandwagon, but "The Voice" is still too popular and so I just don't see the appeal. People are going to remember the "Blah" seasons from 2010 to 2014 and not tune in.

#23 wonderfly, Nov 8, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2017
  4. AdrenalineRush1996

AdrenalineRush1996 Active Member

It's not a three year hiatus. It's a one year hiatus as there was no series this year.

Sent from my LG-H850 using Tapatalk

5. Mandouga

Mandouga Well-Known Member

@ wonderfly, well that's just one person's opinion. In any case, it sounds like you feel that people won't watch because of the "seasonal rot" it went through, or otherwise, because it might become a "franchise zombie", but in the end, we don't really know that now, do we?

@ AdrenalineRush1996, somebody said "two years ago" (2015), with the show coming back in 2018, so I posted based on that.