Abandoned Cartoon Network "MallNation" Project Revealed

Discussion in 'The Cartoon Network/Boomerang Cartoon Forum' started by RegularCapital, Aug 5, 2014.

1. RegularCapital

RegularCapital Well-Known Member

Yesterday, news of an abandoned Cartoon Network project was released to public by its creators Michael DeForge and Ryan Sands, the proposed show was called "MallNation" it stalled at the storyboard phase and a pilot episode was never made. Cartoon Network decided not to go ahead producing the show.

Abandoned "MallNation" Cartoon Network Project Revealed - RegularCapital Website
    http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/comics/...-reveal-rejected-cartoon-network-project.html

MallNation | Michael DeForge Blog
    So

Description of MallNation from Michael DeForge's blog:

"MallNation is about the entire student body of an elementary school getting locked inside of an abandoned shopping mall as punishment for scoring lowest on standardized testing in the country. All the cliques of the school branch off into their different storefronts, the goths take over the arcade, the popular mean girls build a tent city out of expensive textiles in the department store, etc. Episodes would feature the children squabbling over territory, exploring weird, uncharted parts of the mall, and working together to build something new and cool out of their situation."

2. szjdfgs

szjdfgs Active Member

Now I actually wanna see this come to life.
    At least in the form of an animated online series because this sounds like a fun premise, but I don't think that will ever come to light.

3. trance2009

trance2009 Fun to play with not to eat

haha that sounds kind of dark though I do want to see it.

4. Silverstar

Silverstar Ah, No.

I probably would've passed on this even if it had gotten made. Shows based around school cliques are just not my thing. And what elementary school body has things like Goths and popular mean girls? Those are more high-school cliches.

5. Dudley

Dudley Moderator

Such things exist in middle school as well. They should've made the kids be around that age range instead. It would've also made the series slightly less dark as well.
    This sounds like something I'd find online by Mondo Media. I think it would make for an interesting webseries.

6. RegularCapital

RegularCapital Well-Known Member

That's what I was thinking, but yet again it's an idea for a cartoon so it doesn't really have to make much sense, it's already crazy enough that they're locked up in a shopping mall.

Yeah, I guess it would work as a web series.

7. Gatordragon

Gatordragon Tough as talons! Ca-caw!

Hmm, this looks interesting. I have no problem with school cliques, I played Bully. I like the idea of kids being locked in a mall and forming tribes. I'd expect it to be dark.

I agree with Dudley in that this would make a good webseries. Mondo Media needs more cartoons nowadays.

8. Red Arrow :D

Red Arrow :D Proud Beneluxer

I was very interested when I read the description, but then I saw those dark pictures...
    I understand why CN passed on this...

9. Jazz1000

Jazz1000 The Sleep Eater

its kinda interesting.... i would probably like it but i think ill stick with AT/RS then this one tbh

10. ILDC

ILDC Active Member

Thought this was going to be about CN doing something in actual malls.

11. RandomMe

RandomMe Stave it off

I also thought that, too.
    Anyway, Turner lawyers forced to take down most of the images.

12. Golden Geek

Golden Geek Love and peace

Not just the images, but the articles are down too. Maybe CN was still planning to do something with this?

13. szjdfgs

szjdfgs Active Member

Youth in Decline's blog is sorta down, but the thing is, if you have a Tumblr account and you reblogged it, those images are still saved. Even after the original post is removed.
    I'll upload them in postimg so people can see it.
    I would link them here, but the images are probably way too big.
    I hope the mods aren't against this.

EDIT: Postimage.org / gallery - otherkids, ourkids, tumblr n9ravt DIz01s3xyeyo1 1280, tumblr n9ravt DIz01s3xyeyo2 1280
    This is all I could save.

14. Neo Ultra Mike

Neo Ultra Mike Creeping Shadow of 7000+ Posts

South Park. Actually this reminds me a lot of the South Park "The Wacky M*lestation Adventure" episode that revolved around the kids forming different groups to try and take territory and survive against one another except hopefully this would of been more fun and fitting the rest of the tone of the premise then the random weird turn SP went in that one.

Personally I already thought CN had a show revovling around a mall (okay granted they didn't make it but it did air for a couple years on their network) with 6Teen but this could of been an interesting idea. Sadly it does sound better hten well most any recent idea Nick's ever come up with and the different cliques and focusing on them could yield interesting results but depends on how it would of played out honestly.

15. Dudley

Dudley Moderator

Jeez, I'm kinda tired of the whole Adventure Time look. That makes me less sad that the show didn't get picked up.

16. The ShopSoldier

The ShopSoldier Wandering about in both ANGER & DISGRACE

Who Dares To Attmept a Rescue From My Lair?
    Nope - not feeling it. At all. I'd proudly re - watch 6Teen, or better yet, Detentionaire, instead...

It just... looks too much like Adventure Time and Regular Show (IMHO), and I'd rather stick with those shows and see them end eventually as well before I could sit down to a concept this royally messed.

17. PokemonTVDub

PokemonTVDub Member

Would the children be locked in the mall for 24 hours a day or did they only have to be in the mall for the majority of the day and get to go home to sleep and eat? Either way, I would be surprised that the parents would allow this to happen, especially to elementary students. And who exactly is doing this? The school? The government? This doesn't really appeal to me whatsoever, and the show would get really boxed in after a while if it's just about children locked in a mall and fighting over territory.

18. szjdfgs

szjdfgs Active Member

Yeah, I don't wanna be that guy, but the whole artform just reeks of Adventure Time copy-pasting, and I wouldn't mind a fresh new outlook. I mean, with a premise like that, how would one expect it to be drawn? I wasn't expecting it to be Adventure Time-esque though.

19. Gatordragon

Gatordragon Tough as talons! Ca-caw!

Huh, the art style does resemble Adventure Time now that you guys mention it. When I first saw the character designs, they reminded me more of Tiny and Big.

[​IMG]

20. Goldstar Neo

Goldstar Neo We're not cousins!

These are my thoughts exactly.

Also, I got a look at the character designs for this show. They looked like Adventure Time/Clarence people. I'm getting tired of that look. I'm honestly not sorry that this show didn't ultimately get made.