A Woman Is Becoming Thor This Fall

Discussion in 'Comic Book Culture' started by ShadowGUN, Jul 15, 2014.

1. ShadowGUN

ShadowGUN YES!YES!YES!

So Thor is woman.....again

First we got a new Superior Spider Man then Captain America now we are getting a new Thor.

Revealed on the on The View of all places.

This isn't first time female Thor that has existed. There Earth X miniseries when Thor was transformed into a woman. And then of course Thor Girl who probably is the new female Thor.

I wonder when the going to introduce the Latino Iron Man? Comic Con maybe?

2. GWOtaku

GWOtaku Moderator

Here's Marvel's official announcement on this:

Marvel Proudly Presents Thor | News | Marvel.com

So, given that Thor is one of the "big three", this is a big deal and will doubtlessly make some waves. Personally, my feelings are mixed. I like the principle of what they're trying to do, as expressed by the final paragraph. It's right, and it's good business sense - female readers are said to be the fastest growing audience for comics.

I'm not wild about the way they went about this - Thor, who's saved the world who knows how many times, is to be suddenly found "unworthy"? Really? Also, notwithstanding the official line, I question just how long that state of affairs can really be expected to last. I'll believe them if they have the guts to stick with this for longer than Bucky's stint as Captain America.

Also, I know it's a nitpick and the official art looks very nice, but already I see some people praising the costume notwithstanding that it commits the classic and cliche error of giving Thor a breastplate that fits her anatomy - look, no! Armor does not work that way! Here's a blog dedicated to how it is supposed to look.

These quips aside though, maybe in the whole it's a good thing and the book will be good. I don't know. It's not like I was invested in this book before, so my feelings aren't too strong. I might have a look and give it a chance just because the last time I did it was for Ms Marvel, and that paid off really well.

Thoughts?

3. hobbyfan

hobbyfan Active Member

Bollocks. It's just another grab for mainstream attention, not much more. 'Sides, they've done storylines where Thor has been deemed unworthy or demoted or somesuch before (see Beta Ray Bill in the 80's). Neither this nor the death of Wolverine will hold for very long, and in this case, they'll bring things back to normal in time for the next Avengers movie.

4. wonderfly

wonderfly 30 Years since Vampire Hunter D!

So just enjoy it for what it is - a twist on an old tale. Same with "Sinister Spider-Man", the Teenage Tony Stark from the 90's, this "death of Wolverine", Bucky replacing Captain America...Yes, it'll only last a short while (probably no longer than Bucky as Cap, or Doc Ock as Spider-Man), but these things are never meant to be permanent anymore...just enjoy it for the temporary plot twist that it is. And if you're a "regular Thor" fan, just give it a year or two. He'll be back.

5. ShadowGUN

ShadowGUN YES!YES!YES!

Well knowing Marvel this is going to last till Thor 3 come out in 2016-17. Kind like how the Superior Spider Man change back to Peter before Amazing Spider Man 2 came out.

Frankly I still wondering why not create a new female superhero instead of giving her former male superhero name.

6. GWOtaku

GWOtaku Moderator

Related to that, here's something else I wonder about: why not Lady Sif as Thor? It could have made sense and people already like the character because of the movies. Ah well.

7. ShadowGUN

ShadowGUN YES!YES!YES!

Btw Regular Thor is still around.

[​IMG]
    So what are we (and the characters in the Marvel Universe) supposed to call him. Axe Thor?

8. hobbyfan

hobbyfan Active Member

Remember when a mortal, Eric Masterson, became Thor? They kept him around by renaming him Thunderstrike, but I think he's been retconned out or killed off.

As Wonderfly said, they reversed the "Superior Spider-Man" angle by bringing Peter Parker back in time for the movie. By that same token, they'll cut this short and bring back the "traditional" Thor for Avengers 2: Age of Ultron next spring.

I don't read Marvel all that much anymore---although Spiderverse does pique my interest----so I'm not familiar with Jason Arron's work. To me, he's another of today's generation of writers who are being tasked to make temporary changes (i.e. Jonathan Hickman on FF killing off Johnny Storm for a few months) in order to grab a headline. That's what the editors and corporate suits want. Casual readers' curiosity piqued to the point where they'll consider buying the first installment.

To paraphrase Jim Croce: You don't tug on Superman's cape. You don't spit in the wind. You don't pull the mask off the Lone Ranger, and you don't mess with Thor (or any other hero).

9. Peter Paltridge

Peter Paltridge Steven Sword!

Thor's been a frog. Why not a lady frog?

10. Neo Ultra Mike

Neo Ultra Mike Creeping Shadow of 7000+ Posts

Yeah that's why it's really hard to get exited or even upset by any of these changes: because you know they're just going to change back. Okay granted most things do wind up changing or reverting anyway with comics, but with the movies being such big successes that especially puts pressure on the comics to be more like them. So yeah anything that may happen with Thor or Captain America and Iron Man and the like for a story you know will be reversed whenever a huge blockbuster esque Avengers movie comes out due to the marketting people wanting people who are now buying the comic because of the film for said comics to be like said films. Thus however the powers of Thor go to this woman doesn't really matter if it's just going to be for like a few months. I mean at least Doc Oc Spidey was over a year but this change? Honestly this just feels like a change just for the sake of having one, not because the narrative or anything demands it happen. Or there being any narrative that would make them want to do it besides mixing things up.

11. wonderfly

wonderfly 30 Years since Vampire Hunter D!

I think you answered it right there with the start of your second sentence. You certainly should not get upset over these type of changes. As for getting excited, I enjoy seeing the new storylines (even if they're just plot twists on old comic book standards). It'll be different for a few months, so you might as well enjoy the ride, I say...

12. Aquadementia

Aquadementia That's a lot of Mulaney!

Makes me wonder if there will be a Thor movie starring Jennifer Lawrence.

Amphibians have been known to do the old switcheroo. That's the angle they should have used.

13. hobbyfan

hobbyfan Active Member

Don't give their movie division any ideas.

14. The Reynard

The Reynard Guest

There wasn't just the Earth-X female Thor. There was also a "What If?" story where Jane Foster picked up the Mjolnir hammer instead of Donald Blake, and after transformation, decided to call herself Thordis.

See Thor, Goddess of Thunder for the different girl-Thors.