A trend in Superhero movies I dislike

Discussion in 'The Entertainment Board' started by Zorak Masaki, Apr 23, 2012.

1. Zorak Masaki

Zorak Masaki Active Member

Why is it that in a lot of recent Superhero films, they make an effort to show the hero unmasked? Im not talking about their civilian identities, im talking about wearing their costume but not the mask. The Spiderman films of course are the worst offender, but films like Captain America do it too. At least the Nolan Batman films havent done this, yet.

2. Peter Paltridge

Peter Paltridge Steven Sword!

A big part of directing is getting the emotions on a character's face read. When said face is blocked by a mask, it doesn't work. Hence, they try to pull the masks off as often as they can get away with it.

3. Dantheman

Dantheman Active Member

What Peter said, but I also think it's studio suits demanding face time for the leading actors. At least Iron Man came up the whole "seeing things from Tony Stark's POV inside the suit" as an excuse to see Robert Downey Jr,'s face.

4. the greenman

the greenman Active Member

It may not be just the studios, but the actors contracts or even the SAG. I know their are a lot of clauses and variables in those union clauses. Like Sam L Jackson did his Fury cameo as a joke for free, kinda like he and Michael Keaton did in OUT of SIGHT. It, I believe, has to do with screentime, or Union rules.

5. Shawn Hopkins

Shawn Hopkins TZ Member of the Year 2013

Think about it, they paid millions of bucks to get these guys to star in their movies. You think they're going to settle for scenes where you can't even tell who it is and might as well be a random stuntman in the costume? People go to the movies to see their favorite actors, so the movies will find ways to let you see them.

6. Aquadementia

Aquadementia That's a lot of Mulaney!

How often is it even a stuntman anymore?
    Most of the really cool scenes are digital doppelganger.

7. Zorak Masaki

Zorak Masaki Active Member

Isnt the selling point of the film the character? I mean, the first Superman film had a relative unknown in Christopher Reeve yet that was succesful. Or for a more recent example, Hugh Jackman as Wolverine in X-Men. Now, while they werent under masks, its not like people would have rather seen famous actors in those roles, they just wanted to see superman and wolverine on camera.

8. the greenman

the greenman Active Member

I think by extension, this trend is just as horrible as the hero revealing their secret identity. I mean, this has been happening since the Superman films, and while I can see an excuse for the unmasked trend, there is no excuse for that. Even Nolan's Batman suffered from this, and it looks like Spidey 2.0 will too.

9. Evo

Evo Agent of Providence

It sells toys. Just ask my unmasked battle damaged Spider-Man action figure.