A Mr. Peabody and Sherman Netflix Series? Plus other Animated Projects in Hollywood

Discussion in 'The toonzone - General Animation Discussion' started by Dudley, Aug 17, 2014.

1. Dudley

Dudley Moderator Moderator

Steve Hullet's Animation Guild blog, always an insightful source of news (along with the occasional heated controversy), is a great website to learn about what's in development in Hollywood's animation studios, particularly the union affiliated ones.
    See the full list in this blog post. The list shows what's currently in production, and what show is wrapping up and ending.

The thing that caught my attention the most was Mr. Peabody and Sherman, despite the film doing poorly at the box office, is getting a series on Netflix as part of DWA's production order from the streaming service. I'm happy to hear this as I always felt the franchise would work better in a series format, than it would a movie. What with devoting each episode to a different period of time and whatnot.

So what do you guys think of the list? Are you happy/sad to see what's currently being worked on, or ending?

2. Peter Paltridge

Peter Paltridge Steven Sword! Moderator

78 episodes?? Holy cats. I'm assuming they're all shorts?

Y'think Dreamworks will ever have an idea for a cartoon show that wasn't a movie first?

Land Before Time is on that list. I thought that beast had finally been killed.

Wander Over Yonder has a second season.

3. The ShopSoldier

The ShopSoldier Wandering about in both ANGER & DISGRACE

Who Dares To Attmept a Rescue From My Lair?
    The utter lack of news on Steven Universe and Littlest Pet Shop convinces me of their current status. And it's not a good one.

4. Eggy

Eggy DA EGGY

Why is DreamWorks obsessed with making movies into TV shows?
    Littlest Pet Shop is produced in Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada.

5. zoombie

zoombie Active Member

A Ben 10 reboot, if they are going to do another series with young pre teen Ben, I think I am done. I don't think I could take that especially if it is going to be the Omniverse over the top version, he is okay in the original, but the Omniverse OMG. Either way looks like are are going further and further away from the dark grid of AF / UF which is my favorite version.

6. Silverstar

Silverstar Game On!

Mr. Peabody & Sherman will probably fare better as shorts, since that's where they originated. I saw the movie, it was OK, but some characters just don't lend themselves to feature length stories.

I'm guessing the Croods series will be like Monsters VS Aliens: The Series: a slapsticky comedy consisting of 2 11-minute shorts as opposed to a single 22-minute episode. I'm curious as to what kind of stories DW can come up with, since aside from the Croods themselves and Guy, there were no other people in that movie, and the animals were all non-anthropomorphic. I honestly don't know what they're going to do with the Croods for 2 more movies, though.

I have reservations about Wander Over Yonder's second season: some of season 1 was decent, but I think the show relies far too much on Lord Hater. I don't get why so many shows feel like they need to have regular or recurring antagonists; I'm not down with "mwah-hah-hah!" bad guys, and my favorite Wander episodes were the ones which didn't involve Hater, so the news that season 2 will be adding an even bigger, badder bad guy isn't instilling me with confidence in the new season. It sounds like WoY may be taking more of an action-oriented turn, which could end up being the dropping off point for me.

I really hope The 7D gets a second season; it's really a good show. Right now it's one of my favorite cartoons, right up there with Barbie: Life in the Dreamhouse.

-Also, you've gotta love how this blog praises Sofia the First as being a hit show, yet they misspelled the title character's name. It's Sofia, not Sophia.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 20, 2014
  7. CoolEric158

CoolEric158 God Bless America!

This is focusing on L.A. productions. Littlest Pet Shop is a Canadian production. And Steven Universe does have a second season along the way, so either it's a typo or something. There does seem to be some that aren't on the list whatsoever, but are in production. i.e. Pig Goat Banana Cricket, Illumination Entertainment in general

As for what's on there, they're already making three Croods movies and a TV series? Whoa. And I tho
    ught Land Before Time was over with, but I guess we're getting 83 more sequels.

8. Nexonius

Nexonius Formerly John Dorian

I want to know how Rick and Morty is listed as a CN Studios series, but not Black Dynamite?

9. The ShopSoldier

The ShopSoldier Wandering about in both ANGER & DISGRACE

Who Dares To Attmept a Rescue From My Lair?
    Thanks for clearing up what I didn't fully understand. Apologies for that as well...

As for back on subject - Dreamworks has it pretty bad right now...

10. Getouttamylab!

Getouttamylab! Truth-seekers wanted

Whew! Glad to see that Wander Over Yonder will still continue!

A new Peabody and Sherman series sounds like fun as well.

Now, what's the difference between just your average joe "Veggietales" and "Veggietales In The House"? Does it just mean more Veggietales installments will be added to Netflix or is it something new and different?

11. marklungo

marklungo Greetings from Honneamise

I liked the Mr. Peabody & Sherman movie and I'm thrilled that the franchise is still alive. However, I admit I have reservations about the shorts format, because I'd like to see the series build on the character development from the film. (I must admit, I find the concept of "misunderstood genius raises an equally intelligent child" at least as interesting as "wacky time travel adventures", but maybe that's just me.) I wonder if they'll get Ty Burrell and Max Charles to do the voices again?

12. ILDC

ILDC Active Member

From what I've gathered, VeggieTales In The House is an entirely new series showrun by Doug TenNapel, with redesigned characters and a more Toy Story-like setting. There are writers from MST3K and Axe Cop. Rob Paulsen and Tress MacNeille are VAs. They'll still be Christian values, but maybe not as much as before. It all certainly sounds... interesting.

[​IMG]

13. Dudley

Dudley Moderator Moderator

I should point out that not only is the list not complete, Steven Hullet got his info from people he has heard from at the various studios.

With the talent behind this, I can't wait to check this out. The designs look pretty cool too.

In what way?

I assume the 78 episodes are the 11 minute segments, so possibly just 39 episodes.

Dreamworks is making a Netflix series based on Dinotrux, a children's book.

And since this might interest a few, here's a chart showing where most of the union workers are.

14. ShadowBeast

ShadowBeast Active Member

For Gravity Falls what does it mean "Now wrapping up 2nd season"?Oh GOD! FOP only on hiatus.

15. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator Moderator

I haven't seen the new Mr. Peabody and Sherman movie yet, but making it into a TV series would work more given that they could travel to different eras every episode. I was surprised that there's some Land Before Time series in the works. I remember that there was one on Cartoon Network a few years ago, but I don't think it lasted that long. It sounds like Ben 10 Omniverse is winding down, but I wouldn't be surprised if they do go for a reboot with the next series. I'm not sure if I'll watch it if that's the case given how much I didn't care for ten year old Ben.

16. ILDC

ILDC Active Member

What's Stretch Armstrong, and do they mean by "ongoing"?

17. Getouttamylab!

Getouttamylab! Truth-seekers wanted

Don't get me wrong, I'm on board with this new Veggietales series, but...the "Dreamworks-ified" designs of the characters are gonna take some major getting used to. (Where's Jr's hat?)

18. CoolEric158

CoolEric158 God Bless America!

The second season is close to finishing production.

19. ShadowBeast

ShadowBeast Active Member

Thanks for clearing that up.

20. Bender 905

Bender 905 New Member

I like the premise of a new "Mr Peabody and Sherman" show. I also Heard that DreamWorks was developing a "King julien" and "Puss in boots" animated series.