1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

A Movie that Scared You...

Discussion in 'The toonzone - General Animation Discussion' started by Queen of Hearts, Apr 17, 2005.

1. VeiledHat

VeiledHat Pineapple from Heck

In fifth grade music class, we watched this obscure Chinese Disney film called "The Secret of the Magic Gourd", and it's about this kid who finds a magic gourd and basically uses him to grant all his wishes. So he used the gourd to cheat on a test, and then the teacher finds out. The kid runs away and calls the gourd a monster. The gourd ******* literally TURNS INTO A MONSTER and he has the Voice of the Legion and he's 50 feet tall and the fakeness of the thing contributed to the creepy factor. I actually completely forgot about this film until I saw it on TV Tropes, and the first thing I remembered was that damn monster. Oh, and for the record, after the monster shrinks and becomes the gourd again (which was also creepy) the teacher and the class find the kid and apologize in what is one of the most tearjerking things I've ever seen at school.

2. AnotherRandomGuy

AnotherRandomGuy The cat's in the cradle

To go a little outside of the box somewhat, Fantasia was a always a movie that scared me.

And interestingly enough, not just the Night On Bald Mountain segment. The segment that gave me a sense of confusion and dread was strangely The Sorcerer's Apprentice, something about it felt wrong compared to the other Mickey shorts I knew about growing up, the complete lack of dialogue or even sounds from the characters left me uneasy about what I was seeing, broom acting autonomously with zero sense of sentience didn't help.

3. jaylop97

jaylop97 L Twins

As a kid I read Coraline and thought the story was scary but seeing the animated movie kind of had more scarier imagery than the book presented in the movie, which was more creepier.