A Looney Tunes and Scooby-Doo crossover?

Discussion in 'Saturday Morning Forever!' started by wiley207, Sep 10, 2013.

1. wiley207

wiley207 Well-Known Member

I have been thinking. We learned the Looney Tunes and Scooby-Doo both co-exist in the same cartoon universe. Scooby-Doo and Shaggy (complete with Casey Kasem voicing him) both made a cameo appearance in the underrated "Looney Tunes: Back in Action." Shortly after, Wile E. Coyote and the Road Runner made a surprise cameo in the "What's New, Scooby-Doo" episode "New Mexico, Old Monster." (A picture of Tweety was also seen on a chart of rare birds one bird-watcher had.) Warner also doesn't seem to consider the Scooby-Doo franchise Hanna-Barbera these days anymore, at least the newer stuff, claiming it as part of its own Warner Bros. creations (like they did with Tom and Jerry.)

That got me thinking. Suppose for a TV special of some sort, they did a Looney Tunes and Scooby-Doo crossover? I think this could be somewhat interesting. The Scooby gang could try and help Bugs Bunny and friends solve a mystery.
    But how would it be pulled off? I know in the originals, the animation style clashed. Not so with "What's New, Scooby-Doo," as that was animated in Warner's typical "house" style of the time:
    [​IMG]

They could just animate the crossover in this style if need be. OR, they could use the Looney Tunes Show designs for the LT character and the Scooby-Doo: Mystery Incorporated designs for the Scooby gang, and they would pretty much blend in together. (When Scooby and Shaggy were in LT:BIA, they were drawn in a flat vivid Hanna-Barbera fashion compared to the rest of the Looney Tunes.)

If they do something like this, I think they should even start it with a title card spoofing the New Scooby-Doo Movies ("Today, Scooby-Doo meets the Looney Tunes!") and somewhat make it similar to that series, like "Night of the Living Doo" and the Scooby-Doo/Batman crossover from "Batman: the Brave and the Bold" did (though for THAT one, they drew the Batman cast in the Hanna-Barbera style so they could easily fit with meeting the Scooby gang also drawn in their "classic" style.)

Any comments?

2. looneyfan93

looneyfan93 Member

I like the idea of having a Looney Tunes/Scooby Doo crossover, but you know what should've been done before that? Both of them should do a crossover with Tom & Jerry first.

3. hobbyfan

hobbyfan Well-Known Member

It's inevitable that this will happen----as a DTV. Too bad Scooby's hanging around with the WWE first.......

4. wiley207

That sounds like a good idea. AND the WWE is planning on a direct-to-video movie with Warner featuring the Flintstones! What next? Yogi Bear meets the WWF too?

5. hobbyfan

hobbyfan Well-Known Member

WWE-Flintstones was announced earlier this year for a 2015 release. I'm not digging that all that much, but Scooby & WWE intrigues me.

No, I don't think you'll see Yogi or any other H-B characters interacting with WWE. Jetsons would be pushing it.......

6. dth1971

dth1971 Active Member

How about Scooby-Doo teaming up with Disney's Phineas and Ferb? This would be a Disney/Warner Bros. crossover!

7. dumbfoolkid5

dumbfoolkid5 Active Member

Here's a better crossover, Scooby Doo meets Naruto or Ichigo and the Bleach gang.

8. RandomMe

RandomMe An Imaginary Friend

That should be an epic development nightmare.

9. Silverstar

Silverstar Rock the Dragon

That's even less likely to happen. The P&F/Marvel Super Heroes was crossover was possible because Disney owns Marvel now, so those franchises currently reside under the same corporate umbrella. Same deal with Scooby and Looney Tunes; a crossover between them doesn't seem likely, but it's at least within the realm of possibility, since the same studio owns both franchises. (In fact, there was a HB/LT crossover series planned called Mixed Nutz, but it never got made.) But rival companies like Disney and WB coming together for a single project is extremely rare. And a Western cartoon crossing over with an anime? Not likely to happen outside of fan fiction.

#9 Silverstar, Sep 10, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 10, 2013
  10. Goldstar Neo

Goldstar Neo Good Morning!

The Scooby Doo and Looney Tunes characters do appear together in Cartoon Universe, if video games count.

11. RandomMe

RandomMe An Imaginary Friend

Also, it's impossible for Disney to buy part of TimeWarner (the Warner half, for me).

12. SF4Ever

SF4Ever Active Member

Highly unlikely that's going to happen. I can definitely see a Scooby-Doo/Looney Tunes crossover, especially with Bugs Bunny. Speaking of Looney Tunes crossovers, Porky Pig and Daffy Duck did a crossover with the Groovy Goolies and theirs was broadcast on ABC's Superstar Saturday anthology program in 1972 and it was re-aired on Cartoon Network's Cartoon Theatre, many years later. Aside from 1988's Who Framed Roger Rabbit, which Warner Bros. refused to allow its characters to be a part of that movie unless it got equal camera time with Disney's Silly Symphonies characters, I really cannot see Scooby-Doo in a crossover with Phineas & Ferb.

13. brickrrb2

brickrrb2 Active Member

That would mean Shaggy and Scooby would be able to take Safes, Anvils and bombs

14. dumbfoolkid5

dumbfoolkid5 Active Member

Any chance Scooby will ever meet the Justice League or Ben 10?

15. dth1971

dth1971 Active Member

How about Scooby Doo meets the Powerpuff Girls for us old school Cartoon Network fans?

16. stephane dumas

stephane dumas Well-Known Member

There was also the "Cartoons All-Stars to the Rescue" who was an special animated drug prevention program where some WB and Disney characters along with Garfield, Alf, Muppets, Alvin and the Chipmunks, Slimer from the Real Ghostbusters appeared. I guess the only way to see them together again is a similar special to Cartoons All-Stars to the Rescue.

Too bad then Ted Turner didn't bought Filmation because we could had dreamed of a Scooby-doo/Fat Albert crossover, hey hey hey! ;-)

17. Peter Paltridge

Peter Paltridge Knows about rock people
    Staff Member Moderator

18. Eric B

Eric B Active Member

Wow; as the first commenter said, that sounded good! (including some of the story ideas I see there).
    I t should be something dusted off whenever the current Looney Tunes show ends.

19. Silverstar

Silverstar Rock the Dragon

The Looney Tunes Show has already ended. The 52nd and last episode of TLTS aired a few weeks ago. All that's left is a stand-alone ep called "Super Rabbit", which was actually left over from Laff Riot.

No word on when (or if) Cartoon Network will air this episode, nor has there been any word on any new Looney Tunes projects in the works, save for the 'reboot' movie, which was announced while ago.

20. wiley207

Yes, but a series like that isn't what I had in mind. I meant it like a special or a direct-to-video movie or something, and just the Looney Tunes meeting the Scooby-Doo cast.

And to brickrrb2, that would probably be the case with the pre-2000s Scooby-Doo stuff, except maybe "What's New Scooby-Doo," even though that show was supposed to mirror real life more than the previous shows did. And then SD:MI was a whole different continuity, similar to how "The Looney Tunes Show." And as Silverstar mentioned, since "The Looney Tunes Show" has already ended, this may not be such a bad idea. (Strangely, CN is now not treating both of the shows very kindly after their ending; SD:MI is nowhere to be found on the schedule, and TLTS only airs weekend mornings at 6:30 AM. This is yet another strange similarity the two shows have...) (BTW, nice Inspector Gadget avatar there, Silverstar!)

But anyways, here are two likely options they could cross over without visually clashing:
    1. Have the SD:MI version of the Scooby-Doo gang meet the TLTS version of the Looney Tunes characters.
    2. Have the "What's New, Scooby-Doo?"/2002-2009 version of the gang meet the Looney Tunes drawn in their traditional designs, as already demonstrated on that above-mentioned "What's New" episode.