1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

"A Fairly Odd Movie: Grow Up, Timmy Turner!" Talkback (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'The Entertainment Board' started by cozmorocks12, Sep 24, 2009.

1. Jzpierce

Jzpierce Member

This acted as a nice rap up ... It took me a second viewing to realize George Castanza was Cosmo human form.

2. WMania

WMania Check Out My Avatar Thread!

The movie was good, but the ending was just amazing. Didn't expect that at all.

3. Lord Beckett

Lord Beckett Cute and Mean

Wow, I thought I wouldn't be the one the most critical of the movie here...

Also I should warn you guys who missed the broadcast last night, all the reruns on Nickelodeon and Nicktoons are 15 minutes shorter, with Vicky, AJ, Chester, and some of Jorgen's scenes cut out.

4. NewcomerDC

NewcomerDC Active Member

Wow Nick. You must really have to go all out to make audiences buy the DVD. Speaking of which, I hope the time limit is the same as it was when the film premiered last night. The channel shouldn't even bother having film's if it's going to edit scenes without a reason. It's TMNT: Turtles Forever all over again. Why couldn't Nick leave the film alone?

Advice to Butch Hartman: Nick's been treating you with disrespect in many occasions. Time to take your business to a TV channel that won't have to edit or force any of your shows to be lengthened past the point where they should have ended.
    If that happened, she would still be seen as beautiful since Daniella Monet with the hair, glasses and braces of 10-year old Tootie still looked great.

#504 NewcomerDC, Jul 10, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 10, 2011
  5. alfa9delta

alfa9delta Hey, Where's Perry ?

Maybe the DVD will have some deleted scenes, incluiding this one.

Agreed. The "Fairy Council" scene would be very better with they had a bigger budget, I mean, I'd like to see the Fairy World in CGI, with the rainbow bridge and all that.:sweat:

That Fairy Council remembered me Wizards of Waverly Place's set when they go to their magic world...and it's not a good thing...:shrug:

6. Dragnatek

Dragnatek Well-Known Member

I don't know what I was expecting, not much to be honest. This was not as bad as I feared it would be but it still was not that good. Now some of the actors did a great job protraying their characters in live action, like Cocker and Jorgan. I also love that Daran Norris played Mr. Turner in live action a nice touch. It did feel like a Fairly Odd parents episode in live action so I guess I have to give it credit for that too.

I still feel that the whole 23 year old Timmy Turner plot was pointless, really would it have been a different movie if Timmy was sixteen or eighteen years old? I think not. And yeah Hugh Magnate Jr. Could have easily been Remmy Buxaplenty, Doug Dimmadome, or his son (Despite that character being a one shot in the lemonade episode) of course that would have been cramming even more into this hour special.

7. Ishtar

Ishtar Active Member

I really don't get why Nick edited out 15 mins or more for re-runs. It's not like they haven't aired longer movies before, and the edited version seems very rushed. Even more absurd is the iTunes version being the edited version. I guess it could very likely be a gimmick to sell the DVD release.

8. NewcomerDC

NewcomerDC Active Member

This is sad. I'm now afraid that the DVD version will have the same running time as the edited version. Nick, you disappoint me more than the creation of Bucket and Skinner's Epic Adventures. Did anyone grow tired of the commercials for the show during the movie?

9. Ishtar

Ishtar Active Member

Actually, the running time on Amazon is 109 minutes, which I believe is even longer than the premiere airing.

10. NewcomerDC

NewcomerDC Active Member

The new running time's probably because of the ending credits and extra scenes not featured in the premiere airing. If Nick wants people to check out the film, it needs to get their Mickey Mouse hats on and think like Disney. Meaning that with all of the repeats of the films, it has to have many different versions, including the possible extended version on DVD for one night only, on TV.

11. iluvtgif

iluvtgif Member

2 Questions:confused::
    Will the movie have a general release in stores? Ex: Walmart, Target, Best Buy, etc.
    Is it a widescreen format or full screen format?

12. Jzpierce

Jzpierce Member

Do they even make full screen format anymore? On most current TVs it equals side black bars (aka letter box) instead of cinema black bars (aka widescreen) and looks rather ugly by comparison.

13. Ishtar

Ishtar Active Member

Well, the DVD on Amazon is a "Burn on Demand" release, so I don't believe it will have a general retail release, at least not yet. I imagine the movie's aspect ratio will be 16:9, as it was filmed and as it was aired.

14. Jzpierce

Jzpierce Member

It was shown in HD, so expect widescreen.

15. NewcomerDC

NewcomerDC Active Member

If we take a look at the Yu-Gi-Oh!: Bonds Beyond Time DVD release along with past releases of Tyler Perry's House of Payne, most companies still release shows and films in the 4:3 format.

16. Jzpierce

Jzpierce Member

Really ... I guess I stand corrected. It just feels like since it was in HD format on my TV, why would the DVD not be in that format?

17. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I got a chance to watch this special yesterday afternoon. I was going to watch the premier for the fun of it, but I was busy and forgot about it. I haven't seen the series for awhile and I haven't enjoyed it in years, but I thought I'd give it a shot for fun anyway. To my surprise, I kind of liked it. There were some pretty funny moments here and there, especially with the guy playing Crocker saying "Fairy God Parents!" and to their credit, it actually did feel like an episode of the show in live-action format. Drake Bell did a pretty good job as Timmy, which was better than I expected.

I think that its main problem was that the plot was just so rushed. I realize that it's only a TV special, but it really was kind of hard to develop a believable relationship between Timmy and Tootie or make it seem like Timmy had actually grown up. He certainly didn't seem more adult like after admitting he was in love with Tootie, but it helps that I found the relationship, as shown in this special, completely forced and rushed. I also agree that Channel Chasers handled the whole growing up issue in a better fashion. I didn't know that there were fifteen minutes cut out of the repeats, although that would explain why I never saw Vicky, AJ or Chester appear, but it still felt like a pretty rushed storyline. As for Wanda and Cosmo wanting to keep Timmy from growing up, I can see how it's out of character for Wanda given how she's always been encouraging Timmy to do the right thing, but I could also see how being with Timmy for so many years would make her want to keep them together as a family. So, that didn't bother me that much.

The other problem I had with this special was the ending. I actually felt pretty bad that Timmy had to get rid of his Fairy Godparents in order to save them. I kept on thinking of how connected they were after spending so many years together. So, the fact that he was able to keep them and that it was okay for Tootie to know about Fairy Godparents felt pretty cheap. Although, at least he had to make wishes for other people instead of for himself like he always did in the series. It also honestly bothered me that he already got a van to travel around with Tootie and his fairies and even said that it was for their new life together, or something from that nature. Maybe it was just hard for me to keep my suspension of disbelief together by the end of the movie, and the lack of a believable romance between the two didn't help, but it just felt kind of creepy and weird. As for Poof's talking, I didn't think that was funny and I had a hard time believing that he couldn't talk all these years too.

Despite my issues with the movie, it actually didn't feel that bad and it was pretty enjoyable for the most part. I'm not sure if I'll rent or buy the DVD just to get the scenes I missed, but it was still nice to watch something about the Fairly Odd Parents and get some enjoyment out of it.

18. NewcomerDC

NewcomerDC Active Member

Light Lucario, you're not missing much with Vicky, A.J., and Chester. The film's main plot involved Timmy, Tootie and the fairies. Everyone else isn't on their minds including the writers who didn't give them enough to make them from supporting characters to being in the main cast.

19. Ishtar

Ishtar Active Member

Ok, I got the DVD, and here's the weird thing, it has both the edited and unedited version. The unedited version is listed as "Extended Cut", which is just the original unedited version that aired during the premiere. I did take a look at the other version of the movie on it, and it looks like the same edit that's on iTunes and is airing in re-runs. The 109 runtime seems to be a total runtime of both versions of the move, and maybe the special features too.

The special features are simply titled "Behind The Scenes" and "Meet Daniella Monet." Both of these special features are ones that are on Nick.com, and I believe aired on TV too.

The main flaw with the DVD, though, is that it is no anamorphic widescreen. From what it looks like, Nick rendered the video letterboxed for a 4:3 display. This is with both versions of the film, too. So when it plays on an HD TV with a DVD/Blu-Ray player with HDMI input, it is letterboxed on all 4 sides. Maybe since it was a Burn On Demand DVD, they couldn't make it work?

#519 Ishtar, Jul 12, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 12, 2011
  20. Lord Beckett

Lord Beckett Cute and Mean

The ratings are up, 5.8 million viewers and highest original TV movie among kids to date this year. I think thats a pretty good showing considering all the bad publicity it was getting even before it aired.