A Disney princess from the future

Discussion in 'Disney/Pixar Forum' started by dumbfoolkid5, Mar 29, 2014.

1. dumbfoolkid5

dumbfoolkid5 New Member

How about it? Why won't theyare try to make a new princess story about a future princess set in a futuristic world? Besides, I don't get why some of Disney's successful properties have to take place in the past anyway.

2. trance2009

trance2009 Fun to play with not to eat

They tried a future thing with Treasure Planet, but a futuristic fairy tale could work.

3. Peter Paltridge

Peter Paltridge Steven Sword!

After the box office for Treasure Planet, Titan AE, and Atlantis, I don't think Disney will be trying anything sci-fi for a while.

4. ShadowBeast

ShadowBeast Active Member

Because most of the princess films are based on old stories that take place in the past. But I wouldn't be against it if they were to make some films that takes place in the future.

5. dumbfoolkid5

dumbfoolkid5 New Member

How bad did they do? Is this proof that Americans want fantasy and magic over sci fi in their animated movies? And also, what's so special about the Disney princesses anyway?

6. Goldstar Neo

Goldstar Neo We're not cousins!

The reason is because the fairy tale adaptations that the princess characters are featured in were all written hundreds of years ago and therefore have all taken place in the past. There could be a Disney princess from the distant future, but said story would have to a) be an original story, or b) be a sci-fi take on an existing story, like Treasure Planet.

You keep saying that, but I've seen no real evidence that American audiences prefer magic over science fiction in animated movies. It's just that adaptations of fairy tales typically do well at the box office, so studios keep making them. They could try something different, but that's a risky move. Most studios prefer to stay in their comfort zone and just keep making what they know works. Disney sticks with the fairly tale stuff because that's been working for them, and studios typically go with what makes them the most money, but the Mouse House is just one studio and not the only game in town. An independent studio would probably be more likely to experiment with a formula which hasn't been tried several times before.

They make money and girls eat it up like free pizza. There's nothing inherently wrong with the Disney Princess line just because you personally don't like it. The films and the toy line aren't made for you anyway.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 30, 2014
  7. Aquadementia

Aquadementia That's a lot of Mulaney!

How about a princess from a long time ago in a galaxy far, far away?

8. Goldstar Neo

Interestingly, George Lucas himself once said that Star Wars is closer to a fairy tale than it is to science fiction.

9. Bubblegum Girl

Bubblegum Girl Magic User Wannabe

Doesn't Princess Mira Nova from Buzz Lightyear of Star Command count? She's a princess and from an alien world. I always wondered why Mira Nova (And also Princess Candy and Fang from Dave the Barbarian) isn't considered a Disney Princess. I guess it was because she's from Disney animated series and not a movie, not to mention she doesn't act like a princess since she is a Space Ranger and fights crime.

10. Silverstar

Silverstar Ah, No.

No, it's not. There is no heavy bias towards fantasy over science fiction; that's just a conspiracy theory that you've convinced yourself to be true because you really want to see Disney make a sci-fi cartoon. Keep in mind that all of Western animation isn't produced by Disney. There's also Warner Brothers, Dreamworks, Universal, Nickelodeon, Laika and others.

They make Disney lots and lots and lots of money. Simple as that. Let's not confuse your wants with the studio's needs; you may want Disney to do something with a sci-fi bent, but they don't need to by any stretch of the imagination. If Disney or any other studio decides to make an animated story with a futuristic setting and it does well, then that'll be fine, but the Earth isn't in danger of spinning off its' axis if Disney doesn't make a movie or TV show set in outer space.

Those characters aren't in the Disney Princess line because their shows weren't successful and nobody remembers them now. Disney is only going to add in characters which girls know and are willing to spend money on dolls for. To quote Homer Simpson, "If they just stuck every flash-in-the-pan cartoon in there, you'd turn the whole (thing) into a farce."

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 30, 2014
  11. Goldstar Neo

[MENTION=47993]dumbfoolkid5[/MENTION]

This isn't the first that you've mentioned this. if this something that you're really passionate about, you should use that motivation to make your own sci-fi movie instead of waiting for Disney to make one. Because you could be waiting for a while.

12. Dr.Pepper

Dr.Pepper Active Member

I think if they want to do a princess story that takes place in the future it either needs to be an original story or a classic story with a spin. I doubt the latter will ever happen any time soon given the box office disaster Treasure Planet was.

13. Darklordavaitor

Darklordavaitor Moderator

I understand why someone would be tired of Disney's reliance on fairy tales, and I kind of agree, myself. Even as a kid, I usually preferred their animal-based films like The Lion King, Bambi, and Dumbo to most of their princess films, as well as found merit in their more "different" films, such as Atlantis, Treasure Planet, and The Black Cauldron films. But the thing is, the princesses are Disney's bread and butter when it comes to merchandising, and each of these characters continue to make mad dough for the studio today, years removed from their release date. Even consider some of their more recent films. Tangled and Wreck-It Ralph did about the same at the box-office, but who do you see on more backpacks, lunch boxes, or available toys to buy, Rapunzel or Ralph?

There's no reason that Disney can't try a futuristic princess story at some point, but for now, it is easier to take from older fairy tales and build a movie and characters off from that. It takes a lot of effort to build up a reasonable story and to fill it with well-defined characters, and while yes, Disney will occasionally try to experiment, they obviously have an easy niche to return to and reap the profits from here.

14. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator

The idea of a Disney Princess from the future sounds interesting and it could make for a cool movie depending on the characters and storyline, but I'm not sure if they'd be interested in going that route either. Disney likes using fairy tales for the basis of their movies and especially for the Disney Princess line, so I'm not sure if they'd be interested in trying out an idea like that anytime soon.

15. Ed Liu

Ed Liu Grumpy Gorilla

I think the bigger obstacle to a "princess from the future" story is that increasingly, royalty is viewed as something archaic and out-of-date, and while royal families can still draw attention and even affection from the modern population, they are often viewed quite critically for indulging in excesses that few normal people can afford, or even just having colossal wealth and privilege for nothing other than luck of birth. This is something even George Lucas acknowledged in the Star Wars prequel movies, where I vaguely recall some throwaway nonsense about how "Princess Amidala" was some sort of elected official beyond her role in the Imperial Senate, and there was no real royal family that was running Naboo or even Alderaan.

If you look at all the recent Disney "Princess" movies and shows, I think they're all trying to dodge the royalty thing. Sofia the First is a commoner who gets her tiara when her mother marries into the royal family. (And isn't that a wonderfully egalitarian king who will marry a commoner?) Enchanted drove a lot of its humor by taking a classic fairy tale princess and throwing her headlong into modern-day New York City and having her fall for another commoner over a prince. Tangled hinges entirely on the fact that the princess doesn't know who she is. The Princess and the Frog's Tiana is another commoner who meets a prince, but by the end of the film, it sure looks like the prince has abdicated to run the restaurant with Tiana. For that matter, Tiana is very much a self-made woman and ready to do what it takes to chase her own dream, and the Prince ends up as a big distraction for most of the movie. If you wanted to include Brave, Merida is another Princess who has far more affinity for earthly things than the joys of royalty and class. Anna and Elsa are royalty, as I understand, but from everything I've seen, Anna seems to be cut from the same cloth as Jasmine, where she views being royalty as a burden she'd rather not deal with (though I admit I still haven't seen Frozen yet).

That isn't necessarily an obstacle to putting a princess in a science fiction or futuristic environment, since you could easily create a throwback society of warlords and kingdoms stretching across planets or galaxies. But that will still need to overcome the general antipathy that the average American audience has to royalty, not to mention the clash between the super-futuristic sci-fi environment and an archaic royal family.

It's clear that you want Disney do some kind of animated sci-fi feature, and I wonder if you're trying to hitch this dream to Disney Princesses on the theory that this is the best way to get them to do it. I don't think it is, but if they did it I'd be willing to give it a shot. But if they do the sci-fi thing in animation, I would not expect it to be a Princess film (and the major failure of John Carter means I think Disney will be gun-shy about sci-fi in general). However, as has been mentioned in other threads, the upcoming Big Hero 6 is also already set in a future world, so your best hope for this to happen is for that to do well. Also, Ed Catmull famously said a few years ago that Disney wasn't going to be dipping as much into the fairy tale well for future films, which drew much ire on the Internet until people really really loved Wreck-It Ralph. They very well may try for something sci-fi (or, more likely in my mind, steampunk because it's trendier) in the animation studio some time in the future.