1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

A Crazy Idea! Could 4K Media buy a SatAM block like Litton?

Discussion in 'Saturday Morning Forever!' started by aegisrawks, Feb 20, 2017.

1. aegisrawks

aegisrawks Active Member

We all know how terrible Yu Gi Oh Arc V is faring on Nicktoons. Could they try and buy the CW's SarAM block or Ion Televisions? Say whatever you want about Vortexx but it did do MUCH better in comparison to Nicktoons.

The top programs among total viewers during the Vortexx block were:

1. WWE Saturday Morning Slam@10am(1,126,000 viewers / 0.7 HH rating)
    2. Justice League Unlimited @9:30am(1,003,000 viewers / 0.6 HH rating)
    3. Dragon Ball Z Kai @10:30am(841,000 viewers / 0.5 HH rating)
    4. Iron Man: Armored Adventures @9am(802,000 viewers / 0.6 HH rating)
    5. Power Rangers Lost Galaxy @8am(662,000 viewers / 0.4 HH rating)
    6. Yu-Gi-Oh! @11am(661,000 viewers / 0.4 HH rating)
    7. Yu-Gi-Oh Zexal @8:30am(631,000 viewers / 0.4 HH rating)
    8. Rescue Heroes @7:30am(519,000 viewers / 0.4 HH rating)
    9. Yu-Gi-Oh Zexal @11:30am(494,000 viewers / 0.3 HH rating)
    10. Cubix @7am(457,000 viewers / 0.3 HH rating)
    I bolded Yu Gi Oh's performance. I would love to see such numbers AND Satuday Morning Cartoons return!
    I cant believe these numbers! Yu Gi Oh Arc V would do much better on Broadcast Saturday Mornings.

Also, SOMEONE has to stand up to Litton and put a LITTLE originality dont you think.

But that's not all. I think that 4K could try and do what 4kids was trying to do and bring anime to Saturday Mornings. And it doesnt even end there! Why not get some good old fashioned Looney Tunes or Tom And Jerry reruns?

I think this could be terrific! What do you think?

• Like Like x 1
  2. jaylop97

jaylop97 L Twins

I would be someone who would love an idea like this, afterall it would be great to have another block like this again.

But I still think it would sounds unlikely Litton has a good grasp on Saturday Morning material, streaming is making TV business a nightmare, and no block is ever going to out power a channel on cable.

• Like Like x 1
  3. aegisrawks

aegisrawks Active Member

First of thank you for your interest and kind words as well as your criticism°! I do have some answers to your concerns. The CW did Outdo both Disney XD and Nicktoons once. And even if it didnt it stuff would still fare better than Nicktoons is doing at least. And it doesnt have to do better than cable. It just has to fare well enough. With reaching one million viewers it would do well enough.

But we all know this will never happen. Because Litton is king now. I would love to see 4K Media try at least

• Like Like x 1
  4. Daikun

Daikun Long Live the Fighter!

4K's time in the sun is long over. Yu-Gi-Oh! is the only property they have, since it's now a Konami-owned business (4Kids' other licensed shows went to other companies). They'd have to spend a lot of money to get new properties off the ground or risk a YGO-dominated block, which wouldn't be viable.

And yes, I specifically said "NEW properties." Creating another Vortexx-like block with a bunch of old shows would not work in this day and age. We're living in a post-SMC era where such a block would struggle to garner ratings. If they want their gamble to work, they'd have to bring in their A-game, not cheapen out like Saban did.

Actually have a new show for every slot in the lineup; that's how TV blocks thrived in the past. If they think they can skate by with just a few premieres surrounded by reruns that have aired on other networks, they're in for a rude awakening. (Transformers: Prime? Justice League Unlimited? Pffft. Seen it. Let's see what's on CN and The Hub...) This was what doomed Vortexx from the start. If Konami can learn from past mistakes, they can be successful.

• Winner Winner x 1
  5. superkeegan9100

superkeegan9100 Well-known user and expert in cartoons

Ain't gonna happen. Saturday Morning blocks will continue to be educational shows you see on Discovery Channel forever.

6. AnotherRandomGuy

AnotherRandomGuy The cat's in the cradle

I wouldn't count on it. Even with the nostalgia boom in recent years, I don't think we'll be seeing a Saturday morning block on the main networks anytime soon.

We might see a resurgence on cable channels though, Disney is toying with the idea of a Weekend morning block on their main channel and XD so we might get spiritual successor to "One Saturday Morning" if nothing else, and the others do have he building blocks for one.

7. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

They would definitely need to get other brand new shows for a block, which I think would be much too difficult. Not only would they have to pull out more money to secure brand new shows, but 4K Media exist just to handle the Yu-Gi-Oh! franchise. If they wanted to branch out with other properties or dub other series like most other anime licensors, I think that would have happened by now. I've seen people speculate/hope for them to dub other anime series before, but it never made sense to me because of why they were created in the first place. You might as well hope for TPCI to dub stuff besides Pokemon. And yes, I know that TPCI has Pokemon in its name while 4K Media doesn't have Yu-Gi-Oh! in theirs. That doesn't make it any more likely for them to work on anything besides the Yu-Gi-Oh! franchise.

I'm also not sure if basic cable channels would be interested in going back to the Saturday block format. It is an outdated method for a number of reasons. Even if it was revived, I'm not sure if the shows there would be that much more successful. I remember that the ratings for 5D's were absolutely awful, especially near the end of the dub's run, and Zexal ratings weren't really that much better. I've said before that ratings for toyetic series aren't that significant compared to merchandise sales, but when the ratings are that low and you're stuck on a format that isn't watched regularly anymore, that can affect the exposure the franchise gets, as well as how much the cards are sold.

It's more plausible for cable channels to have their own Saturday morning blocks. More kids are interested in watching Disney, Nick and Cartoon Network on Saturday mornings than most other channels, but it would still be different from how they used to be. There would still be plenty of legal means to watch new episodes besides on Saturday mornings and they most likely wouldn't run a block for too long. It may not happen, but it's more plausible than a return to the CW at this point.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. DonkeyKongSong

DonkeyKongSong Active Member

I'd say that's already happening. Disney XD seems to be promoting an "Anime Block" with Pokemon, Beyblade, and Yo-Kai Watch, and I'm sure Doraemon will be added if Bang Zoom! decides to dub more episodes. Disney Channel itself has been advertising an animation block weekends with Elena of Avalor, The ZhuZhus, Gravity Falls, and Star vs. The Forces of Evil, and the former two are/were airing new episodes there (I believe Star could air some Disney Channel premieres there that have already aired on XD).

Cartoon Network doesn't seem to interested in putting a block on Saturday mornings now with Sonic Boom seemingly a Boomerang exclusive and them only airing Justice League Action and Nexo Knights on SatAM now, but Nickelodeon has that "Saturday Hangtime with Lincoln Loud" block on. Their premiere schedule is always a bit random, but at least they have premieres on Saturday mornings sometimes.

9. Golden Geek

Golden Geek Gera Gera Po

I don't know if 4K ever wants anything to do with Saturday morning anime again. I think they're barely staying afloat at the moment due to the American Kennel Club/"The Dog" properties.

According to their website they only have the rights to two anime (other then Yu-Gi-Oh!) remaining (Dinosaur King and Tai Chi Chasers), both of which have had their fair runs on Saturday mornings.

• Like Like x 1
  10. aegisrawks

aegisrawks Active Member

A New Yu Gi Oh Series has come to replace Arc V and the latter is still stuck in the first season! I wish we were still in the heydays of Saturday Morning Cartoons.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Technically, that's only the U.S. airings. They've dubbed the first two seasons of Arc V and they've aired outside of the U.S. already. I don't think that a traditional Saturday morning block would fix the issue 4K Media has with the dubs. We'd still be a good year behind the Japanese version at least. That didn't suddenly start. That's been an issue since at least 5D's, if not GX, where the dub was so far behind the Japanese version. At best, Arc V could be have been in its second season right now instead, but it still wouldn't be done in time for the new series due to how they dub the shows and they keep it on a weekly premiere format even when they could easily premiere more episodes online. The problems with the Arc V dub has way more to do with 4K Media and Nicktoons that simply not having a traditional Saturday morning block that is forced to run the show.

12. Takao

Takao Fight the darkness all around

This would take a herculean effort to get going. 4K Media isn't a broadcast company. They're a licensing and production one. They have no program library worth anything outside of Yu-Gi-Oh!, which means they'd have to acquire a sizeable amount of material. There's no guarantee that a new SATAM block would even pull in Vortexx's numbers. Do remember, it's been years since that block ended. Overall linear TV viewership has continued to decline. Viewer expectations for SATAM are now all ancient/low budget Litton edutainment. Kids don't expect cartoons there anymore. Think of the amount of advertising they'd have to do to get kids aware of the block.

If they want Yu-Gi-Oh! to have a decent broadcast partner in the US, they need to cut with Nicktoons. The channel's dead and Viacom couldn't care less about the franchise. 4K Media needs to call Arc-V a dud and hope Disney hasn't changed their XD schedule by the time VRAINS is ready.

13. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

They really should have cut ties with Nicktoons after what happened with Zexal to be honest. I'm still not sure why they haven't tried to put the episodes on Crunchyroll at least, but Disney XD is their best bet for a TV deal. Maybe they'll be lucky and air all of Arc V before Vrains if they do end up with Disney XD like what they're currently doing with Pokemon.

14. aegisrawks

aegisrawks Active Member

I wonder if The CW Block is still worth 12 million, since 4K Media has profits of ...

4K Media at #107 with retail sales of US$200 million.