1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

A couple of questions about Animaniacs on Nickelodeon.

Discussion in 'The Warner Bros. Club' started by mqg96, Feb 4, 2015.

1. mqg96

mqg96 Member

I was thinking about this show a couple of days ago. It wasn't one of my most watched shows growing up as a kid. But I remember seeing the Animaniacs a lot on Cartoon Network, Nickelodeon, and Nicktoons back in the day. I enjoyed them a lot.

When I first discovered Animaniacs on TV when I was a youngster, I first saw it on Cartoon Network during Sundays or weekday afternoons. Of course, I remember when it moved to Nickelodeon and I enjoyed watching it on there and Nicktoons as well before those disappeared from the networks completely around the mid-late 2000's. I enjoyed this show a lot and it had that wacky nostalgic feeling that I'd get when watching the Looney Tunes shorts or Tiny Toons as well. Good times.

However, here's my question. What was the difference between the original intro and the Nickelodeon intro for the Animaniacs? I noticed that the Nick version was cut short but also the lyrics had changed too. They took out the WB logo and replaced it with the Nickelodeon logo. I never realized this when watching this series as a kid on each of the channels.

Plus, I was looking at the comment section on YT on the Nickelodeon intro and I noticed some people talking about how many of the sexual innuendos and hidden adult jokes that would be seen on the original Kids WB version (or Cartoon Network version), were all edited out and censored when it was shown on Nickelodeon or Nicktoons. Are all these facts true?

I'm just curious what happened to the Animaniacs series when it was shown on Nickelodeon/Nicktoons rather than the original versions on Kids WB or Cartoon Network. Was it just the intro ONLY that was edited or many scenes in the episodes as well?

2. dth1971

dth1971 Active Member

I know the Hub (pre Discovery Family) network restored the original Animaniacs theme intros.

3. Goldstar Neo

Goldstar Neo Good Morning!

The only change that Nickelodeon made that I know of is that Nick cut the openings short and where the line right after "Totally insane-y..." would usually be something different each episode sung by one or all of the Warners, The Nick intro always used the animation of Dot dressed as a fortune teller with a crystal ball and where Dot would usually sing "Shirley MaClaine-y", Nick dubbed in the line "Nick-a-laney" and superimposed the orange Nickelodeon logo inside of the crystal ball. Nick didn't edit any of the episodes, as far as I know.

4. Narfpinky

Narfpinky ~splash~
    Staff Member Moderator

Only edit(s) I heard of (...or saw) in Animaniacs airing on Nickelodeon was at the Wheel of Morality segments. When Yakko replies to Dot's question, "The execs at the Fox Kids Network", 'Fox' is cut out.

Nickelodeon did some similar edits to a couple Pinky and The Brain eps, one about a reference to Warner Bros.

5. AllenJ

AllenJ Member

Any references to Kids WB or Fox (including gag credits) were removed.

"Cutie and the Beast" was missing the scene where the Warners ask Taz to do "that funny thing you do."

"Papers for Papa" was missing the scene where the Warners' plane runs out of gas and stops in midair, instead cutting abruptly to the three of them at Hemingway's door.

"This Pun for Hire" was missing Dot's line "We can't; this is a family show," in response to Minerva's "Give me the bird!"

6. EJLD4Ever

EJLD4Ever Animation Student

Pinky & the Brain's into, however, was slaughtered by Nick, who plastered their logo over at least one object in every shot (or so I've been told).

The only Silver-Age showed that was spared of any drastic alterations to the opening titles was Tiny Toons. When TTA returned to Nickelodeon in 2002 (it previously aired on Nick from 1996-98), Nick only eliminated the opening shot of the Warner Bros shield zooming out, with the intro starting with Buster and Babs popping out of the TTA logo against a blue background.

#6 EJLD4Ever, Feb 22, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 24, 2015
  7. LDEJRuff

LDEJRuff Wish-making dog lover

You forgot that TTA started airing on Nick in 1995.

8. LDEJRuff

LDEJRuff Wish-making dog lover

Second post in a row, but on a different day in the same month. I think I noticed a goof during one airing of an episode of Animaniacs on Nick. They showed the TV-14 rating one morning. I thought that was silly, since the show was usually rated TV-Y. And Nick would only show programming that's rated TV-Y, TV-Y7, and TV-Y7-FV then.