1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

A.A.P./UA or SEVEN ARTS?

Discussion in 'Back To The Inkwell - Classic Cartoons Discussion' started by Steve Burstein, Oct 11, 2016.

1. Steve Burstein

Many years ago I saw a print of a Warner "Bosko" cartoon, and was puzzled to see that it had a 7-ARTS logo at the beginning! I was an inflexible kid, and it actually disturbed me that UA didn't own this, as that's what I'd have assumed. This begs the question-why did the B/W Looney Tunes go to one company, 7-ARTS(later merged with Warner), and the B/W(and color)Merrie Melodies go to another(A.A.P.)Why would a company want one series but not the other?(Well, I'd assume that it was because they could only afford so many.)

2. Steve Burstein

OK, Guild films essentially bought ALL the B/W Warner Cartoons save Merrie Melodies that Harman and Ising produced, so the sale did include B/W Melodies as well. It must have had something to do with a deal with Messers Harman and Ising.

3. ClassicTVMan1981

Bosko was Looney Tunes, not Merrie Melodies.

You are right that a.a.p. did only buy the black-and-white Merrie Melodies produced by Harman-Ising (1931-1933), except for the first one called Lady, Play Your Mandolin!

~Ben

4. Kevin Mo

Kevin Mo @Bugssponge

Bosko's cartoons would come back to WB in 1967, thats why hence 7-arts. They bought rights in 1961, then bought WB 6 years later after guild shut down.

5. wiley207

wiley207 Well-Known Member

I do recall some of the old Sunset/Guild prints of the Warner Bros. cartoons they owned would end with this Seven Arts logo...
    [​IMG]
    Instead of keeping the original ending audio, it uses the 1936-1937 Looney Tunes closing theme. A few Bosko cartoons on those "Uncensored Bosko" DVDs end with this logo. I also have a public domain copy of "The Daffy Duckaroo" that ends with a generic fake "THE END" card that uses the 1936-1937 end music, suggesting that the "THE END" card is replacing that Seven Arts logo.

It's interesting how the logo also includes Elmer Fudd and Sniffles, both of whom never appeared in a black-and-white Warner Bros. cartoon (though with "Nutty News," Arthur Q. Bryan did narrate it in his Elmer Fudd voice.)

• Like Like x 1
  6. Kevin Mo

Kevin Mo @Bugssponge

Yeah, that's weird, rather they should have used Daffy or Beans instead?