1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

`80s Jetson

Discussion in 'Saturday Morning Forever!' started by Old Guy, Oct 21, 2008.

1. Old Guy

Old Guy Active Member

How come Boomerang no longer airs it? :confused:

2. hobbyfan

hobbyfan Well-Known Member

Ignorance? They cycle through the original series at least once a month. You'd think they'd mix in the 80's revival to stretch things out.

3. Old Guy

Old Guy Active Member

I know. It's annoying.

4. Tobias

Tobias Who you gonna call?

What I don't get is that if these are supposed to be the *original* versions (with the original end credits in tact), why do they still have the 80's title cards (with Orbity in them) attached to the beginning of the episode?

5. Still HowardFein

Those must be the only masters WB owns of the series. The Orbitty episode title card is also on the WHV DVD release, which otherwise presents all 24 original prime-time episodes in their entireties and with laughtrack- except A Date With Jet Screamer and the second half of Elroy's Pal.

The end credits are taken from The Little Man and likewise appears after all 24 episodes as shown on Boomerang and on the DVD. This would lead the casual viewer to believe every episode was written by Tony Benedict, and guested Mel Blanc and Don Messick.:shrug: Interstingly, within the past year Boomerang's print of The Coming of Astro omits the Orbitty title card, contains the correct closing credits, and a pre-opening 'teaser'- a standard element of fellow H-B prime time shows THE FLINTSTONES and TOP CAT, but never seen over forty years of JETSONS reruns.

It seems that Saturday AM network and syndicated reruns did include the correct closing credits for each episode from roughly 1969-83.

At least the 'Classic 24' episodes reacquired the famous "Jane! Stop this crazy thing!" closing. Upon the 1985 release of new episodes, the old episodes were followed by new 'gang credit' title cards with then-contemporary poses of the characters: Astro and Orbitty sleeping; Jane under the hair dryer; Judy, Elroy and Astro watching TV; George 'exercising'. The same title cards followed the new episodes, but with the gang title cards listing the 1985/87 personnel. This format persisted on syndicated, CN/TBS/TNT and home video releases of the series until 1998 when "Jane! Stop this crazy thing!" made a welcome return- along with, in most cases, the laugh track and uncut episodes.:)

Boomerang still shows Rosey the Robot with the 1985 cuts and faux gang credits. The 1980s episodes have been rarely if ever shown since at least 2006. (A Jetson Christmas Carol has been known to air as part of holiday marathons.) Apparently someone at Boomerang doesn't think much of the 1980s episodes, although some have been available on their On Demand outlet.

6. Old Guy

Old Guy Active Member

wow. That long? Boomerang needs to give some sort of explanation.

7. Ace Goodheart

Ace Goodheart Strong, Digilent, Fearless

That's unacceptable. CN used to run both '60's & '80's Jetson's episodes on prime-time, non-stop, for YEARS, not including the marathons sprinkled here and there. Why just run the '60's episodes??? For something that they're airing what, 5-7 days a week its ridiculous. I seriously hope that this doesn't have to do with another ridiculous Turner/WB disagreement like the one that has kept "Looney Tunes" off of TV for years now.

8. Mandouga

Mandouga Well-Known Member

No offense Ace, but it isn't been that long. It's only been one year since BOOM stopped airing Looney Tunes.

Anyway, I should mention that in regards to the versions of the 60's episodes being shown now, at least one or two of the episodes seems to have been taken from a PAL master; the music is a half-step higher than it should be (you see, I'm one of those people who can "tell" the difference), and there's the noticable resolution "streaking" that comes with it. Although, if it's not a PAL master, I don't know what else it could be (once upon a time, I had thought that the masters were just worn out from many broadcasts, or that the broadcast equipment was different or something); this has happened to entire series I've seen on TOON and BOOM (examples include Jabberjaw, and Clue Club).

As for why BOOM hasn't shown the 80's episodes of The Jetsons for some time, who can say? I'm thinking BOOM plans on showing the 80's episodes separately from now on (whenever that may be), much like how they now play the Scooby-Doo shows separately. What's more, this also appears to be the same case with the Yogi "spinoff" shows (Yogi's Gang, Yogi's Space Race, Galaxy Goofups, and Yogi's Treasure Hunt). In fact, I've only seen Heathcliff and Marmaduke (the second season of the Ruby-Spears Heathcliff series) recently, and not Heathcliff and Dingbat (the first season).

In short, my guess is that Turner Entertainment is trying to distance their broadcasts of certain shows from the "syndication packages" of old, treating each show as separate from the other, despite the the fact that the syndication prints are (for the most part) all they currently have to work with.

EDIT: Late spelling correction: it's supposed to be Looney "Tunes".

#8 Mandouga, Oct 23, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 25, 2008
  9. Ace Goodheart

Ace Goodheart Strong, Digilent, Fearless

10. Tobias

That's got to be the worst airing strategy ever, because it cuts down on the amount of episodes shown and burns out the reruns even faster.

Although I wouldn't mind if they distanced the first season of Pound Puppies from that awful second season they crapped out.

They should air the entire Jetson's run together, just like they should run the entire Scooby Package together. That's the only good thing about the syndication packages, getting the entire run grouped together for the most part.

11. Old Guy

Old Guy Active Member

Especially if you have a show like The Jetsons that only lasted one season. Had it lasted longer you could possibly get away with it.

12. Eric B

Eric B Active Member

And this is the one show where the latter revival remained true to the original. Same voices and all. (Main difference being the background score).
    Blends in with the original episodes, so there's no reason not to air them together.

13. Steve Carras

Steve Carras SUGAR RUSH!!!!

LOL!

You mean more like "DOG crapped out.."..:)

Anyway, I remember that the LB.Puppies (as I'll call 'em) were as I read in Los Angeles Times at the time (1988), like a number of others (Ghostbusters was another), as changed due to "Q5", which sounds like either some odd space film on Mystery Science Theatrfe or a new vitaman but a "special interest" ghoup. It was they who got that one girl dog "Brighteyes" redesigned, etc. So..

Out old LB.puppies. (which wasn't something i really watched but was known for some "funny moments" and was an odd slightly ugly show). In with the new LB.Pups (differently diesgned, CUTE, almost "Chuck Jonesified"..no offense to Chuck, by the way.:p )

In short this Q5 was like my current avatar (BTW Probalky my permanent one)(Ms.Penny Pingleton of "Hairspray") and friend's nemesis Velma Von Tusscle, trying to make things a little (understatement!) blander.(
    Then agan, for many animation ourist and oldtimers, that wasn't a good era for animaiton but Eric B. made a point that I'll have to agree with, suprsingly, and I part company unusually here with most animation purists, including insiders, by saying the 1980s Jetsons suporsingly had the original cast (including my (as of this writing-see above) my current avatar's namesake, Penny Singleotn and George O'Hanlon as the parents!), and my favoirte Jetson, Judy (Janet Waldo), was the focus of a good number of episodes unlike the original. Frank Nelson ("EEYYessss?":), right before he died, did about three or so episodes here.(Including a robot who George ticks off and who issues a Code red.) The background score was probaly the only way for improvement.. John Krifcalusi, aka the brains behind Ren and Stimpy, famously worked on this and other shows before joinging forces with Ralph Bakshi, DIC's "The New Adventures of Beany and Cecil", and forming his own studio, Spumco.

14. Tobias

The other main difference is that the prime time 60's episodes dealt more with *family* issues, and the 80's revival went for more out there *action* oriented plots to draw the kids in.

15. Old Guy

Old Guy Active Member

`60s show was a sitcom and `80s was a sci-fi show.

16. snowpeck

snowpeck Member

17. Zen Man

Zen Man Active Member

18. Leviathan

Leviathan "It's against nature!"
    Staff Member Moderator

Warner, based on how they've handled the Smurfs, is probably going to split the 80's revival episodes into groups of 13 (That is if these sets sell well enough to get that far, not a guarantee in our oversaturated DVD market).

19. Tobias

With 51 episodes, they'll either do a 26/25 episode 2 volume set or 4 volumes of 13/13/13/12. Either way I hope it does well enough to get all of it's episodes out.

20. Leviathan

Leviathan "It's against nature!"
    Staff Member Moderator

Warner doesn't seem to be doing 4-disc sets for any of their animated sets anymore (except for Tiny Toons). We'll probably see 4 sets of 13/13/13/12.

That would make each set cheaper, but that also comes with a catch 22: If Warner protracts the releases, then it's more likely one won't sell well and cause the series to be abandoned.