1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

4Kids Talkback: The Crossroads of Destiny - The 4Kids Discussion V10

Discussion in 'Saturday Morning Forever!' started by D Dubbs, Nov 21, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Well, their block has never had a history of outstanding ratings. Outside of Sonic X, DBZ Kai and occasionally reruns of Yu-Gi-Oh! DM, most of their shows get around a 0.6-0.7 rating. They're lucky if a lot of their shows get over a 0.8, let alone reach that mark. I think that their contract with the CW probably allows them to have that block for the full five years, although I'm not sure if the poor ratings of their block has any negative effects on that contract. If it doesn't and 4Kids is still functioning, then I think that they'll have the block for at least two more years if they're able to keep the Yu-Gi-Oh! license and survive financially. While I agree that they should do more to get people interested in watching their block, it is kind of hard to do that nowadays when kids have other channels with more shows and new material for them to watch. Besides that, I think that they're probably focused more on their legal and financial problems than their block.

As for the new thread's title, I like both D Dubbs and Chaos Yoshi Mage's ideas. Both reflect the situation 4Kids is in with Yu-Gi-Oh! and the song One Card Shot is really catchy. Either one of those titles sound good to me. I might try to come up with my own title, but I have a really hard time coming up with names.

2. Manga4life

Manga4life DYNAMITE's PULP FIESTA BLOG!!!

4Kids Talkback: "All in: Awaiting the flop" - The 4Kids Discussion v11.

Nice little Yu-Gi-Oh/Poker reference, hehe.

3. D Dubbs

D Dubbs Wish Upon A Star

4Kids returns to YouTube!

Not really any new episodes or anything but they had everything they took down before (minus Yu-Gi-Oh! and DoReMi) including Sonic X subs. Nice slick new design too.

4. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I like the new design for their page too. It's nice to see them use some of the characters and they're still doing a relatively decent job with promoting Tai-Chi Chasers. I'm kind of surprised that they don't have any Yu-Gi-Oh! videos or even Atem in the background. I could see them maybe adding in the videos later on, but I wonder if they didn't do that in order to avoid taking them down again if they lose the first part of the trial on the 29th.

5. Takao

Takao Fight the darkness all around

I use Youtube Cosmic Panda, and it cuts off Hudson's head entirely. I think they probably should've waited a bit before a redesign ... :sad:

6. spidey4545

spidey4545 Fox Kids Historian
    Reporter

The Fall 2011 schedule for Toonzai on CWKids has been released. It starts on September 17th and consists of the following lineup:

07:00 AM - Magi-Nation
    07:30 AM - Magi-Nation
    08:00 AM - Sonic X
    08:30 AM - Sonic X
    09:00 AM - Yu-Gi-Oh!
    09:30 AM - Sonic X
    10:00 AM - Dragon Ball Z Kai
    10:30 AM - Dragon Ball Z Kai
    11:00 AM - Tai Chi Chasers
    11:30 AM - Yu-Gi-Oh!

There will not be new episodes of Magi-Nation and Dragon Ball Z Kai. Both will restart from the beginning (as well as Sonic X). Yu-Gi-Oh! will skip ahead about 20 episodes to the start of season four.

7. D Dubbs

D Dubbs Wish Upon A Star

Yikes, no new DBZ Kai? That's not good. Hopefully they're just waiting to premiere it with Zexal. Yep, definitely seems like cutting so much 5D's is a waste now.

8. PC!

PC! lolwut?

That's just about the most laughable fall schedule I've seen since...well, last year's. It's become quite clear 4Kids plans to simply coast off of the same old stuff year after year with maybe one or two new shows thrown into the mix just to keep kids on their toes. How sad.

9. Sonic_Eclipse

Sonic_Eclipse Shut up! Shut up! Shut up!

I'm kinda surprised that 4Kids didn't acquire any more episodes of Dragon Ball Z Kai, wasn't expecting that at all. I mean how much could that have possibly cost them?

I also thought they would pick up the rest of Magi-Nation, not as surprised with this as I am with DBZ since this show is really just there to fill that damn E/I requirement.

Tai-Chi Chasers really doesn't look that interesting at all, I'll check it out though.

Cutting off Yu-Gi-Oh! 5Ds early still doesn't make much sense to me, other than trying to get the jump on Zexal, but really the chances of them keeping the YGO! license is slim to none. Even though 5Ds has never really done well in the ratings it still would've made more sense to just finish that instead. Even if they manage to keep the license I doubt Zexal will do any better.

I know 4Kids hasn't been in great shape financially, but it really doesn't look like they're even trying with the block anymore. What were they thinking when they signed this deal with TheCW, when they were already stretching themselves thin during their last year on FOX? They should've at least acquired the rest of DBZ Kai, doesn't this show bring in pretty good ratings?

10. Daxdiv

Daxdiv Does this look like the face of mercy?

Boring schedule is boring. Man, only one new show and a lot of repeats, color me unimpressed. They should have at least have new Kai or something, cause this feels empty.

11. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Wow. That schedule is just pathetic. I'm kind of surprised that they're not having new DBZ Kai episodes. They could be saving it for when they have Zexal ready, assuming that they don't lose the rights before that happens, but considering this is their new fall lineup, I kind of expected them to have more than one new episode, even though I don't think have three new episodes would be significantly better. I thought that they would have only two Sonic X airings, but I guess that they didn't want to do that.

I was also kind of expecting a better timeslot for Tai-Chi Chasers. Considering the decent amount of promotion they've done for the show, I thought it would premier earlier in the block. If they really wanted to give it a shot at getting decent ratings, I would have placed it during the Sonic X hour or right before DBZ Kai since those shows tend to have pretty consistent ratings, at least in the fall. An 11:00AM premier for a new show doesn't seem like a good idea.

I'm greatly disappointed that they took 5D's off the lineup. I had a strong feeling that they would do that after they skipped so many episodes and heard about their hour special for 5D's, but it's still pretty sad to see it confirmed. If it wasn't for the Waking the Dragon reruns of DM, my favorite season of that series, and my curiosity about Tai-Chi Chasers, I would quit watching the block altogether at this point.

I completely agree. Seeing how their fall lineup is almost completely reruns, it feels like a waste to cut out so many episodes of 5D's to give it a rushed ending. At least when they did that with GX, I believe that they had 5D's as part of their fall lineup and had already announced that they had rights to the series before. While they've already announced that they have the rights to Zexal and plan to dub it for the fall, next week's trial, the design for their Youtube page and apparently not starting the audition process back in July makes me think that they're not going to air much of the show, if at all.

I can kind of understand why they wouldn't want to continue to make 5D's last longer until Zexal was ready to air since they're clearly not in the best financial condition to dub three shows at the same time. Even if they didn't have the lawsuit to deal with, I don't think that they'd be able to handle it and I wouldn't be surprised if this rushed ending was going to come regardless of the legal situation with the Yu-Gi-Oh! rights. Though, at least they might be able to give some better sense of closure for their dub of 5D's than what they did with GX, especially since they're actually giving the finale a whole hour, but I bet that the ending is still going to leave their audience confused due to the amount of plot holes its bond to leave. While I can understand why they financially can't continue working on 5D's until Zexal is ready, it's still quite disappointing to see them rush through an ending of one dub only to continue relying on old DM episodes. At least those haven't aired in years and would probably be considered new by a lot of the kids watching the block.

That does sadly seem to be the case. I remember back when they first started rebranding the block to Toonzai, I was sure that they would have more new shows besides DBZ Kai since I didn't think that they would go through the trouble of giving their block a new name if they only got one show. I was clearly wrong. They don't seem interested in getting new shows, so they just depend on the ratings for their older shows from when they were in a better financial condition, which is just pretty sad. The schedule is pretty bad and like I mentioned earlier, I'd totally drop it if I wasn't for the reruns of Waking the Dragon and being curious about Tai-Chi Chasers.

They probably did just want to jump right into Zexal in order to promote the newest cards. That's why they left the GX dub incomplete to work on 5D's. It would have been nice if they could have just finished the series, especially when I don't think that they'll be able to work on Zexal for too long, if at all, and I think that this is the only time they had a chance of completing another Yu-Gi-Oh! series. I agree that Zexal won't do any better in ratings. While it does focus on younger characters and has a generally lighter tone in its story than 5D's did, the same can be said for the most part with GX after DM and that didn't do well in ratings either. Besides that, the Yu-Gi-Oh! anime series hasn't really been popular since the DM days and I don't think Zexal will be able to get significantly higher ratings than 5D's or GX did.

I'm not sure if they didn't acquire any more DBZ Kai. Funimation could still be working on the edits for the show or 4Kids is foolishly holding new episodes for awhile yet again. Though, I do agree that it doesn't look like they're even trying to make their block work anymore. They know that they're not in any financial position to get a lot of new shows and I don't think a lot of companies would want to do business with them due to their lawsuit situation and the claims against them.

12. Megadrivesonic

Megadrivesonic New Member

Well that's 4kids for yah.

13. mumbo

mumbo Look skyward

No new DBZ Kai is the real killer IMO. You've literally only got one new half hour a week with that schedule. With Kai, Zexal, and Tai Chi Chasers there should be a solid two and a half hours of new content each week, but no dice.

If Zexal doesn't premier within 17 weeks of the new schedule beginning then there is literally zero justification in cutting 5D's off early.

14. Golfkid

Golfkid Active Member

I don't think there was ever a good reason to cut off 5D's. The reason might be they knew they weren't going to finish (with the trial) and/or they are pushed by Konami to get Zexal out.

As for the line-up, I'll probably see if Tai Tai is any good, but it hasn't impressed me so far. Other than that, there's nothing on the block that I want to watch.

15. Gold Guy

Gold Guy Ride On
    Staff Member Moderator

I should maybe feel bad for 4Kids, but after they stopped dubbing 5D's in the middle, I find that I can't feel bad for them. I may check out Tai Chi Chasers though.

16. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I still think that it's possible that they knew they couldn't handle finish 5D's and start working on Zexal at the same time due to their financial condition. I could see Konami pushing them to get Zexal, but I'm not sure if they would want to get involved with 4Kids dubbing Zexal due to the legal situation and conflict with TV Tokyo/NAS. The results of next week's trial should be even more interesting since it could make it impossible for 4Kids to dub Zexal, or at least not allow them to air much of what they have worked, and make their rushed conclusion of 5D's even more of a waste.

Well, I mostly feel bad for the people at 4Kids who might very well lose their jobs, but in terms of the company itself, I can't find myself to care about it after their treatment of 5D's and the claims from the lawsuit.

17. 4Kids4EverFandom

4Kids4EverFandom Active Member

Hey Guys, there's suppose to be a hurricane heading to New York City on Saturday and the trail MIGHT Be Postponed to a later date. Hurricane Irene. Which means an Extended stay on the licence! Weather channel confirmed it today about possibly hitting NYC.

18. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Honestly, I wouldn't be excited about that. Not only because I'm still in the opinion that 4Kids doesn't really deserve to keep the Yu-Gi-Oh! license, if only because of the way they've treated the past two series, but more importantly, I wouldn't want a hurricane to damage other people's home just so that 4Kids, or any company for that matter, can avoid their day in court. Besides that, Hurricane Irene, from what I've heard, isn't suppose to be a major hurricane like Hurricane Katrina was. The people in affected states are just doing the smart thing by being prepared.

No offense, but that fact that you seem kind of happy or excited that they could possibly postpone the trial and keep the license a bit longer because of this hurricane does legitimately bother me. Unless the hurricane reaches a dangerous level, like a category 4 or 5, on the 29th, I don't think that they'll postpone the trial.

19. GWOtaku

GWOtaku Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator Reporter

That attitude also concedes that 4Kids is in the wrong and can't win in court, in which case the best thing would be for the license to be lost ASAP so it can be picked up again by someone else. Postponing the inevitable isn't a victory.

20. Mohji

Mohji Member

Final K6-11 Ratings for Saturday, August 20, 2011 Broadcast Networks only (Live + SD Data):
    Source: Disney Research from Nielsen Media Research Data
    ABC
    0.7/3 Avg. (9a-12p)
    The Emperor's New School 0.7/4; The Replacements 0.8/4; That's So Raven 0.8/4; That's So Raven 0.7/3; Hannah Montana 0.6/3; Suite Life of Zack & Cody 0.7/3
    CW (Toonzai)
    0.6/3 Avg. (7a-12p)
    Magi-Nation 0.2/2; Magi-Nation 0.5/5; Sonic X 0.7/5; Sonic X 0.8/5; Yu-Gi-Oh 0.7/5; Sonic X 0.8/4; Dragon Ball Z Kai 0.7/3; Dragon Ball Z Kai 0.7/3; Yu-Gi-Oh 0.5/2; Yu-Gi-Oh 5Ds 0.5/2
    NBC (Qubo on NBC)
    Avg. 0.3/1 (10a-1p)
    Turbo Dogs 0.2/1; Shelldon 0.1/1; Magic School Bus 0.2/1; Babar 0.3/1; Willa's Wild Life 0.3/2; Pearlie 0.4/2
    CBS (CookieJarTV)
    0.2/1 Avg. (7-10a/10a-12p)
    Busytown Mysteries 0.1/0; Busytown Mysteries 0.1/0; Doodlebops Rockin Road Show 0.2/1; Horseland 0.2/1; Horseland 0.3/1; Trollz 0.2/1

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.