[3DS] New Super Mario Bros. 2 (Pre-Release)

Discussion in 'Video Games' started by Takao, Apr 21, 2012.

1. Takao

Takao Fight the darkness all around

While we knew there would be a 2D Mario on 3DS, Nintendo has confirmed that New Super Mario Bros. 2 will be launching this August during their Nintendo Direct webcast. They released a couple of unflattering screenshots:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

(Note: These are captures from the video stream)

Expect a blowout at E3.

2. GWOtaku

GWOtaku Moderator Moderator Reporter

So, real flight seems to be back. About time, I say. Wasn't too fond of the fact that in 3D Land, the suit was apparently just there to slow Mario's descent.

3. Leviathan

Leviathan "It's against nature!" Moderator

We're getting Mario games at a steadier clip than ever before. Remember when there was only one console platformer per generation and all the portable games were remakes?

Call me crazy, but I was kind of hoping that NSMB2 would take elements from, well, SMB 2, like throwing vegetables, Shy Guys and having Peach and Toad playable. That merged with the more traditional Mario stuff would be interesting.

Still, this looks tantalyzing.

4. Gold Guy

Gold Guy This ain't Pokemon! Moderator

I loved the Wii game, but I never got the original DS version.:sweat:

Oh well, I'll still be picking this up eventually.

5. Takao

SMB2 in the US isn't really SMB but a reskin of Doki Doki Panic.

Personally, I'm not all that interested in this. You're right in that we're pretty much in an annual Mario platformer cycle and I'm pretty burnt out. It doesn't help that NSMB on DS was one of the easiest platformers I have played (I have yet to play Kirby's Epic Yarn so maybe that'll change).

6. CyclonatorZ

CyclonatorZ New Member

True, but the last few Mario platformers have amped up the difficulty, especially in the post-final boss content (which this game will almost certainly have).

7. PC!

PC! lolwut?

Meh, doesn't look like anything we haven't seen in either other NSMB game. Except the raccoon suit, of course. And Gold Mario, which could be interesting.

Gonna get it regardless.

8. straw_hat

straw_hat New Member

I've only played the first New Super Mario Bros. on the DS so I'm definitely excited for this especially with the inclusion of the original super leaf power up.

9. Scrappy-Fan92

Scrappy-Fan92 Active Member

Well, there was the NES which had 3 Mario platformers.

10. straw_hat

straw_hat New Member

As far as Nintendo of Japan is concerned Super Mario Bros. 2 is not the Doki Doki Panic re-skin.

11. Mandouga

Mandouga Active Member

Right. The reskin referred to wasn't released in Japan until the early 1990s, when it was released as "Super Mario USA". "Super Mario Bros. 2" refers to the 1986 Famicom Disk System release that is really not so much a sequel as it is a harder version of the original game.

With this in mind, Nintendo of America may have to retitle this one in order to avoid confusion. After all, the game doesn't appear to involve throwing vegetables, plus I imagine we'll only be able to play as Mario and Luigi. While this is technically the 3rd NSMB game, calling it NSMB 3 might not be appropriate despite the return of Raccoon Mario and the return of the "power meter".

12. O-chan

O-chan Active Member

I stopped thinking Nintendo was competent at sequel naming when they pulled Mario Kart 7 out of nowhere. I love how their promoting what I'm guessing is a new Mario classic platformer line, while the console versions seem more focused on Co-op play. Still I agree with people this is a bit much but with the rumors that console gaming may become a thing of the past maybe Nintendo is trying to make sure all their franchises get as much exposure before that comes to pass.

O-chan

13. Lenny128

Lenny128 Likes Cartoons

Huh it's almost as if they are breaking out all the Mario games early for this console. So far it looks ok. I'm glad the brought back the raccon look. I hope it turns out as good as the wii one and not follow the path of the DS one which in my opinion was one of the worst Mario games.

Right now besides "Mario Tennis Open" the one I'm really waiting for is "Paper Mario 4".

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 24, 2012
  14. Takao

This game will be the first to simultaneously see release on eShop as a digital download, and at retail.