[3DS] Kingdom Hearts: Dream Drop Distance Pre-Release Discussion

Discussion in 'Video Games' started by Rho, Jun 16, 2010.

1. Rho

Rho 12 - 6 cloud?

[​IMG]

First screens:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Summary of a trailer shown: (no idea where this was seen.)

The trailer starts off with Sora and Riku sitting out by the starfruit tree on Destiny Islands. Then Riku disappears in a swirling flash of light. Sora calls after him and runs around the island (the game switches to gameplay here).

Sora runs through the island a bit, showing off the locale. It looks exactly like it did in the PS2 game. The thing that makes me think it’s not a port is that Sora already has the glide ability, which he uses to soar around the island a bit.

The game cuts again and shows Riku waking up Traverse Town (the main hub world of the PS2 game). He goes into a courtyard and is surrounded by a bunch of Heartless. Then he looks up and stuff gets crazy.

The sky starts raining Soras.

No seriously. A dozen unconscious Soras slowly float down from the sky like a cute boy meteor shower.

One of the Soras lands and busts out his Keyblade. The game switches back to gameplay mode here and shows Sora bashing the Heartless. After all the Heartless are defeated a huge soldier Heartless boss rises from the ground. Before Sora can battle him he snaps awake, back on Destiny Islands, sitting with Kairi by the starfruit tree. The camera pans up to the night sky and shows the title screen, Kingdom hearts DS.

2. GWOtaku

GWOtaku Moderator

A PS2 game on a portable. Ah, technology.

I might pass on this though...assuming that I finally get around to, you know, actually beating the first two on my Playstation before it comes out. I could see this being the kind of thing that I just want to fully experience on my much bigger TV screen.

3. Shredhead

Shredhead Suck gas evildoers!

Yeah this is just a tech demo to show what it can do I cant wait tell they make a game from the ground up for the 3DS. Although I do hope the next game does come to the PS3. Its been to long that there hasn't been a KH game on a Sony home console.

4. DCU Bat

DCU Bat New Member

Nope, it's not a tech demo, It's the real deal. Shinji Hashimoto and Tetsuya Nomura confirmed it.

I know it's longshot but if the KH series somehow become Nintendo exclusives, I'm going to be laughing my butt off because I know the multitude of fanboys who are going to get POed :D. I'm pretty sure we'll get our KH3 on PS3 soon enough.

5. Mad Mod 49

Mad Mod 49 New Member

No, it's not a remake, it's a new game.

And sorry Riku fans, he doesn't seem to be playable; the scene with him above in Traverse Town is actually from the cutscene (before Soras start raining from the sky...seriously, is Nomura trying to make this series more of a mind screw?)

6. SuperMegaHyper

SuperMegaHyper ...I don't even know anymore.

[​IMG]

But yeah I can't wait to see it in 3D! Just me guessing around the story but I think it might be in a alternate universe.

7. veemonjosh

veemonjosh Get back, Jojo

That...definitely is not a Heartless. It's the Nobody giant that Roxas fought in the KH2 tutorial (unless the trailer showed something different than these scenes).

I'm a bit confused, though. If this isn't a remake, why is everything designed to look like KH1? Unless this is some adventure that somehow takes place between KH1 and CoM (some amount of time passed between the two), there's no chronological way this can be possible.

8. DCU Bat

DCU Bat New Member

We're talking about the same game series which has a "cosmology" involving Light, Darkness, Hearts, Doors, Giant Keys, a heart-shaped moon, a Castle which turns your memories into cards and basically what classifies as "Non-existant Zombies"......I don't think "raining Soras" can surprise me at this point.

It's also possible this takes place in the Data Universe as established in KH: Coded. I'm kinda miffed about the lack of Donald and Goofy in the preview.....y'know? Disney characters. Which is supposed to be one of the highlights of the friggin' series!

9. veemonjosh

That doesn't mean they won't appear at all, just not in what we've seen so far.

10. RockmanDash

RockmanDash Retired

Looks like Nomura is trying to expand on the data world that Coded had since there is no way this can take place.

But honestly why is Nomura trying to put so much into the side games? >_> Just get on with KHIII already and stop making extra plot points nobody gives a crud about.(Birth by Sleep and 358 days covered enough I'm sure)

11. Taekmkm

Taekmkm Ribbit

He's probably killing time while the dev team figures more stuff for combat in KH3.

12. RockmanDash

RockmanDash Retired

At this rate I'm guessing that's the way it is. Just hoping story wise that KH3 doesn't end up being a huge let down like KH2's story was.

13. Taekmkm

Taekmkm Ribbit

They should just make dual-wielding a choosable stance instead of a power-up. Everybody wants it, and there's very little difference between single and double in these games damage-wise.

14. Azrayel

Azrayel New Member

I hope this game is about Riku. There is no other way with the way that Riku and Sora looks could it fit between the time plot of Kingdom Hearts 1 and 2 with 358/2 Days and Re:Chain of Memory in the middle. So my theory is that the pictures above is Riku is having some flashbacks of the days of him on Destiny Island. The portal, the falling Sora's, Sora fighting/flying around Destiny Island is all mocking him and stuff and so Riku finally wakes up, and figured out this is his dream. So now that he is awake we see the time setting is him as the imposter Organization XIII member, and thats where Riku's story begins.

15. Mad Mod 49

Mad Mod 49 New Member

It's highly unlikely since only SORA gameplay is confirmed and it specifically said that SORA wakes up at the end, not Riku. This might be after KH2, and the whole "raining Soras" thing is setting Sora up to have some sort of inward journey where he finally sets right all those damned copies of him (Roxas, Xion, etc.)

And anyway, I don't want it to be about Riku. He started out as a cool character, and got some of his coolness back at the end of KH2, but overall he's another overrated angsty pretty-boy character that I'm sick of. Wishing for a game about him is like wishing that Sasuke was the star of Naruto....wait....:sweat:

16. SuperMegaHyper

SuperMegaHyper ...I don't even know anymore.

Restating my theroy, I don't think this game is part of the regular continunity and in a differnt timline, for a few reasons 1) This looks like younger Sora and Roxas, and it'd be nigh impossible to fit it in the story, 2.) The location looks alot like Tranverse Town and the screen with Sora vs. The Nobody is sorta reminicent of the first game's boss. So it seems to me it's sorta like a What If? story.

As for the playing as Riku I'd think it would be interesting to play as him for a while, (granted we've doing that alot already with 358/2 days and Birth by Sleep). It'd be interesting to see how he acts in the main journey with Sora.

17. Rho

Rho 12 - 6 cloud?

"Kingdom Hearts: 3 Dreams" maybe?

18. Mad Mod 49

Mad Mod 49 New Member

Please, let this mean they're playable together in this dream world. I didn't like Riku's mode in COM because he had no-one to really interact with him (seeing as Mickey was absent most of the time), and he devolved into an angst-a-tron. If he (or this dream version of him) is actually WITH Sora (or this dream version of Sora), then that'll be much better and balanced out.

On the flip side, being together will mean more yaoi from fangirls, but even if they weren't together, they'd be doing that crap....

19. Chaotix12345

Chaotix12345 Shine Like Rainbows

We have an official title and a trailer! The game will be called Kingdom Hearts 3D: Dream Drop Distance (Yes, that's the actual title.) The game will allow you to play as both Sora and Riku as they battle Xemnas and Xehanort's Heartless. As it's been mentioned, all of the Disney worlds are new to the series and the first new one to be introduced will be a Hunchback of Notre Dame themed world. The game will also feature a lot more acrobatic movement such as swinging. Here's a shot of the logo:

[​IMG]

Last but not least, here's the trailer. Be sure to watch it before Square takes it down!

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 18, 2011
  20. veemonjosh

Alright, so I'm guessing the plot is something along the lines of Yen Sid sending Sora and Riku on a spiritual quest to fight enemies from their past and experience unfamiliar worlds, all to prepare them against the threat they'll face in Kingdom Hearts III. This would also mean that the reason for the retro-KH designs is literally because "A Wizard Did It". Of course, that's just a guess.

In any case, the brief glimpse of the Hunchback world got me more excited than anything else. Disappointing that the 3DS will probably cost too much for me early on, or else I'd be sure to buy this.