3DS eShop Thread (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Video Games' started by Dogbert, Jun 2, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dogbert

Dogbert I Don't See Gravity

This thread is for ongoing discussion of downloadable games/software/releases for the 3DS. It is generally used to discuss North American releases and news, but all region news/discussion is welcome.

Note: Per Vyse's request, all DSiWare discussion still belongs in The DSi Ware Thread. For now, please keep this thread limited to 3DS exclusives.

Here's the opening press release for the 3DS eShop:

In short, the eShop launches in North America on Monday, and regular updates will happen on Thursdays. Why the move to a different day? I dunno. Maybe they decided mid-week is better. Or, maybe, they want to have portable and console releases separate so they make the news twice a week. In any case, Thursdays it is.

Also, as Jave posted in the general 3DS thread, 1up.com has stated that the following games cannot be transferred from the DSi to the 3DS:

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 3, 2011
  2. Vyse

Vyse New Member

The DSi thread isn't even at above 500 posts. It stays open. This thread will be 3DS eShop and eShop only until further notice.

3. Dogbert

While gaming sites struggle to get the details, which were largely absent from the press release, technology websites Ars Technica & Wired get the scoop:

Pricing:
    So they're taking an interesting approach here that they didn't with the Wii Virtual Console: They're charging more for better games.

Transfer:
    Not too bad. Still not as good as an account that can be used on multiple systems, but baby steps...

Design:
    So the same approach as the Wii: 100% true to the original.

Systems:
    Amounts:
    Timing:
    So there you have it. Monday news, Thursday releases.

Check out the full article (http://arst.ch/pqu) to get all the details and comments!

4. Jave

Jave Beware of the SPLAT

Individual price charging is a great move. Glad they're finally doing that.

5. Desensitized

Desensitized Old School!

I wish they would add in local multiplayer at the least, since we obviously can't use link cables. There's some great co-op to be had on those old systems.

But yeah, I like the varied pricing.

6. GWOtaku

GWOtaku Moderator

I have to agree with Ars Techina that this is a really thin starting lineup, especially considering the wait for the 3DS shop since the system came out. There are so many good classics that could be taken on the go. The way the whole thing's being handled reminds me more of the Wii days than a step forward, which dampens my Project Cafe expectations honestly.

7. Jave

Jave Beware of the SPLAT

Does the article confirm no local multiplayer? Because it's the only reason why the 3DS would include an infrared sensor.

8. Desensitized

Desensitized Old School!

It doesn't talk about multiplayer at all, which is kind of annoying.

I'm not worried about the skimpy launch. Since I never owned a DSi, there's plenty of stuff for me to catch up on until the releases start rolling out.

9. TnAdct1

TnAdct1 Silence, you dumb wench!!!

A couple of things to be asked when it comes to the release of the eShop on Monday:

1. When it comes to the launch, which of these three scenarios will Nintendo be doing:

Scenario 1: All the stuff that is mentioned comes out on Monday, with no update on Thursday.

Scenario 2: All the stuff that is mentioned comes out on Monday, and there's an update on Thursday as well.

Scenario 3: Only Excitebike 3D and the Pokedex will be available on Monday, with the Game Boy games not coming out until Thursday.

2. Anyone else thinks that Nintendo has another thing planned for the eShop's launch, but is not releasing it until Tuesday because it's a secret that's not to revealed until their press conference?

10. Jave

Jave Beware of the SPLAT

I think Nintendo is going to release everything revealed on Monday, and at E3 they will reveal what will be released on Thursday. Maybe something noone expects.

Sent from my iPhone using toonzone

11. Mandouga

Mandouga Active Member

I guess this means we can't buy individual games, then?

12. Jave

Jave Beware of the SPLAT

Well no, we still have to deposit money in fixed amounts and fill our virtual wallet.

13. Mandouga

Mandouga Active Member

Oh well. At least $5 is a better starting point. Maybe the Wii and DSi Shops will also add 500 point blocks in the future?

Still, I am kinda disappointed. After all, some us want to get just one game, especially if no other games go best together with the one we want. I guess it's kind of an improvement, though.

14. Shawn Hopkins

Shawn Hopkins TZ Member of the Year 2013

Too bad about the limited color options for Gameboy Games. It would have been nice to have at least the same color options as Gameboy Player. Also, some games had special color palettes for Super Gameboy, I wonder if those will be recreated.

15. Chaos Yoshi Mage

Chaos Yoshi Mage The Lonely Raven

I believe someone said that the Super Gameboy palettes would be recreated if the developer chose to. I'm guessing Nintendo will keep there's in stuff like Donkey Kong '94. Bummer about the color options, but it's not a dealbreaker, for the most part, I'd rather play in black and white.

16. Jave

Jave Beware of the SPLAT

Nintendo themselves now report that the list of games that can't be transfered from DSi to 3DS is much shorter:

http://www.nintendo.com/consumer/sy...res&submenu=ctr-gi-apps-dsiware-wont-transfer

17. Dogbert

I'd still be interested to know why those games are excluded. I really doubt it's technical issues, as they could just do an update for them so they are compatible and then say they have 100% compatibility. More likely it's licensing issues, but why would they have different agreements for those games?

Anyway, the Nintendo Download press release this morning doesn't include 3DS games. I guess since it's an evening update, they'll put out a different release for it. The last one lacked prices (revealed elsewhere though) and descriptions of games, so I still assume another release is coming...

18. Leviathan

Leviathan "It's against nature!"

I get the distinct feeling that Earthworm Jim will be rejiggered in 3-D and THEN re-released. That might not happen for a while, though.

The others, dunno.

19. Jave

Jave Beware of the SPLAT

20. Desensitized

Desensitized Old School!

I'm pretty sure Gameloft licensed EWJ in order to do their remake. I guess they no longer hold the license to it, which is why it's not coming.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.