0 0%

0 0%
  • 1/2

0 0%
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Like This Thread!
    Friends Forever #4 was OK. The flashback to young Twilight and Shining Armor "hunting monsters" was cute, but there wasn't as much focus placed on Twilight and Shining interacting as I would have liked in the present. King Sombra's rule was presented in kind of a weird way. The writer seemed to have gotten some details about the Crystal Empire wrong, with Twilight telling the crystal ghost that Sombra hasn't ruled for thousands of moons when time should have stopped for the ghost during that time like with everyone else, and Shining saying that Sombra was the one who built the castle, when the episode implied that Sombra corrupted an existing castle. It's kind of weird that Sombra's traps would exactly match what was in that monster textbook; I was expecting an explanation that the crystal ghost was the source of that information, but I don't recall that being stated. Others thought it was weird that Sombra would want to capture a crystal ghost to tell him stories, but it is a crystal ghost after all.

The cameos from Dr. Forrester, Pearl, TV's Frank, Mario, and Luigi were cute, though it was kind of odd that they were given speaking roles. Mario saying that he'd rescue Twilight if she gets kidnapped was amusing, though it was odd that both he and Luigi were portrayed as cowardly. I liked the librarian character, Lexicon, though probably more for his concept than his execution, with the gags involving him distracting from the story a bit too much for my taste. This edit amuses me, though. Still, I did like seeing Twilight interact with another librarian.

While I suppose it was nice to see that Shining Armor's rule actually does involve some ruling, I feel like too much time in the issue was taken up by all the advisers trying to get government work done, and that time should have been spent on Twilight and Shining's adventure. Still, the issue was decent enough.
    Last edited by SigmasonicX; 04-10-2014 at 10:26 PM.
    Reality is only for those who can't handle Star Trek.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Issue 18 of the main series was pretty good. I have to say, it was pretty gutsy of the comics to outright introduce a love interest for Celestia, even if it was mostly in the past and with an alternate reality character. The original version of this issue was rejected by Hasbro, according to Katie Cook, and I can't imagine what she could have tried that was even bigger than that. I actually do think this does good things for Celestia, showing that she did indeed develop to become the person she is today, and it isn't really an example of making a female character weaker by making her interested in romance, because it was in the past and won't take over future stories. Concerning continuity, Andy Price stated that Hasbro outright told him that the comics are in continuity until contradicted by the show, which is just what fans have been assuming until now. On that note, this issue contains the Elements of Harmony, which creates the odd situation that this story arc actually takes place before the previous Bookworm arc, which takes place after "Power Ponies".

Katie Cook was saying that they had to fit a lot of things in the four issues of this arc, and you can tell with this issue. It was almost entirely set-up, yet most of it was completely necessary. It does lead to the fact that everyone has disappointingly short reactions to all of the differences of the alternate world, though. That said, it was great seeing things like Trixie as an alicorn representing humility and Flim and Flam representing fairness. Not much can be said about Alternate Sombra's personality yet, but his design is decent enough. At first I was a bit annoyed by the reactions to him, but I suppose it's good that only two of the girls actually seemed to be smitten by him, and the others were just surprised. It was odd to see Fluttershy among the ones smitten, but I suppose there is precedent in the comics with her blushing when held by Hoofbeard in the pirate arc.

We didn't see too much of alternate Celestia and Luna (Fauxlestia and Twona), but they seem like fun characters. I did think the "huring Fauxlestia hurts Celestia" thing was a cheap way to stop the girls from just fighting them right then and doesn't really make much sense as being due to a paradox, but maybe it will be explained more later.

Back on the normal side, it was nice to see Luna get angry at Celestia and Celestia be apologetic. It was also a nice character moment for Luna to look forward to beating up the evil alternate Celestia. I didn't really like how they were written out of directly affecting the other world, though. Also, though it may come up later, after the first issue had all of that stuff with Twilight being unsure about her path, it was a bit disappointing not to see any of that in this issue, but then again, I suppose she wasn't told that her alternate self is a regular unicorn yet and didn't see the picture the guards had.

Overall, I thought the first issue was probably more interesting, but this was still a good one.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I read the "Nightmare Rarity" arc, and I thought it was pretty good overall. I was hoping Princess Luna's appearance would get more of an explanation since she was in her initial appearance for almost the entire arc, and the arc seems to take place in season 3 since the comic had a reformed Trixie. Luna takes on her newer appearance when she feels accepted by the other ponies, so maybe how Luna (and maybe Celestia as well) looks depends on how mental state? Nightmare Moon's origins was never explored much in the show, so I thought that being a "dark entity" was good, and quite intriguing too. Rarity's fear of not being needed was also good. The action scenes on the moon and in Ponyville were done well enough. I was rather amused that the alicorns could lasso the actual moon close to the Earth. I'm pretty sure that's impossible when factoring in the laws of science, but that scene was too cool for me to care.

The story does feel somewhat slow though, especially since the Mane 5 spend about 2 issues being imprisoned, and the parts with Spike getting to them also felt stretched. The ponies also glowing from the friendship within came out of nowhere, especially considering one of the reasons Rarity was captured was to prevent the use of the Elements to defeat the Nightmare forces. Then again, that doesn't actually beat the villain, which I liked, and I also liked how the villain defeat was handled. Some good buildup since Spike seems to have shown up captured, but that was a fake out, and the main ponies show up. The "glowing friendship within" didn't work, so they had to remember and remind Rarity how much she means to them. Normally, I'd be disappointed that neither Celestia nor Luna did almost nothing to help save the day, but I didn't mind for this story. Celestia helped Ponyville prepare for an invasion, Luna attempted to beat Nightmare Rarity, but lost momentarily until she powers up into her season 2 appearance. Since Rarity was the one possessed, the story should have the Mane 5 handling the villain, and Luna did help a bit too since she was possessed previously. Celestia could've done more, but there probably wasn't enough room. Overall, the climax and its leadup and after has more positives than negatives.

Also, I hope Spike's crush on Rarity and how Rarity feels toward Spike will be handled more in the comic. There isn't much of that in the show for some reason.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I didn't really like Friends Forever #5 that much, but I didn't find any reason to dislike it. The only moment I found particularly amusing was Rarity's appearance, and it was generally odd seeing Zecora act so goofy. The art was cute at points, and really odd at others. In particular, I thought Discord looked pretty bad in this issue. Overall, eh.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    It seems a fair number of people are souring a bit on this arc after issue 19, and I suppose I'm one of them, after I absolutely adored the first issue and thought the second issue was good. We're on the third issue out of four, but the vast majority of it is either exposition or flashbacks to a frankly dull romance, and it didn't really feel like it was building toward a climax. Alternate Sombra is generically nice and thus dull, and they didn't even go the obvious route of making a theme out of having Celestia's connection with him grow as her connection with Luna diminishes. I mean, it's mentioned, but that's more of a telling instead of showing case. Parts of the flashback even explicitly take place after Luna's banishment, and it would have been a nice bonding scene between Alternate Sombra and Celestia for her to talk to him about it, but we got no such thing. Plus, nothing at all done with the fact that Celestia had to fight Non-Alternate Sombra during her courtship? And the romance is being focused on instead of other potentially interesting things in this alternate universe, like the Alternate Main Six.

This issue is far from bad, but it's disappointing to see such a great set up being used for a fairly dull output. That said, there were some nice gags as always, and the art was great, especially in that two-page spread.

Oh, and the bonus two-page comic was left out of the digital release this time for some reason. Here it is.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Friends Forever #6 was pretty good. The art was a bit plain and Rainbow Dash looked a bit odd at times, but Trixie looked good, and there were good-looking moments like Dash's Sonic Rainboom. Dash and Trixie's interaction wasn't too amazing, but it was nice to see Trixie acting "normally", as opposed to being entirely in stage or rivalry mode. The scene at the start where everyone gets angry at Dash for being so happy even though she wasn't doing anything was odd, but thankfully it didn't herald anything about the rest of the issue. It was odd how Dash kept saying that Rarity told her what the Diamond Dogs act like, and that she didn't meet them before but her friend did, and such, considering she interacted with them too--though maybe like in the first issue of the main comic, she drank one of Pinkie's super sugary drinks and forgot everything. The moment where Dash threatens to leave after failing to carry Trixie out seemed to be begging for a moment where Dash says that since magic's involved, she'll get Twilight, only for Trixie to tell her not to, so it was actually a bit odd to not see that. Then again, Dash did say it was a day's flight at the start. The escape trick at the end was pretty well done.

I liked how the Diamond Dogs were portrayed here. I get annoyed when fanworks decide to portray the Dogs as actually being incredibly clever, since it invariably leads to "ponies are racist against dogs" stuff, but this issue just had one gag of a dog being Dennis from "Monty Python and the Holy Grail", which worked. Here, they were portrayed as smart enough to have, well, buildings, but not much else. The idea of them just grabbing random people to rule them and having trouble actually getting them to stay, with the hard part actually being to convince them that you are a bad ruler, was amusing.

Overall, nothing too amazing, but still a good issue. Better than the last two issues and certainly the first issue.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Just read issue #20, and I'll be honest, I was disappointed by it =/. In particular, I really didn't like how the resolution was to somehow just take the evil out of Fauxlestia and Twona and put it into Alternate Sombra--I always hate it when "evil" is something that is quantifiable and can be transferred between individuals. Not to mention how odd it is that the Elements of Harmony apparently can't differentiate between the two Celestias, and that Alternate Sombra was able to just use the Elements of Harmony himself apparently. There were good moments, though, like when Fauxlestia attacks Twona and causes the worlds to shatter, though it was oddly convenient how Canterlot Castle appeared at the castle of the alternate sisters when the portal previously led to Alternate Sombra's castle. Celestia engulfing herself in flames was also neat, even though it only lasted a few panels.

As this arc was starting out, I thought it was neat how we were learning about the mistakes Celestia made when she was young, but there were two problems with how this was handled. First, the third issue chose to focus more on the romance instead of just leaving the fact of the romance as Celestia's mistake and focusing more on the present repercussions, and didn't even make the romance very interesting. Second, they had Celestia still making the same mistake she did in her youth. The trigger for this story was Celestia rebuilding the mirror to Alternate Sombra's world in the present and going through it, and no explanation was provided for this action, so we are left to assume that she did it for the same reason she did in the past, except she did it with full knowledge that it would damage the barrier between the worlds. It's one thing to have Celestia do that while she was in an emotionally damaged state after having to banish Luna, but she is supposed to be a 1000 years wiser now. And again, she knew that going to visit Alternate Sombra could have huge negative side effects, but she went anyway, which reflects very badly on her. I'm fine with giving Celestia flaws, but I don't think making her so irresponsible should be one of them.

While it is disappointing that not much was actually done with the alternate world concept, I would have been OK with that if the storyline they went with was handled better. It's a real shame how the first two issues of this arc were so promising, only for the rest of the arc to not pan out. Don't get me wrong, this isn't a bad arc, but it's still disappointing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I've read around other sites, and it's disappointing to find out that the Reflections arc isn't well-received. I haven't read it yet, but that's because I wanted to read all 4 issues all at once. Celestia is very underused in the show especially considering her relationship with Twilight, so I was hoping Celestia would get some major focus in a major story even if it's just the comics and not the show (not that show would give her any real focus). Hopefully, there will be another arc focusing on her that's handled much better.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Issue #21 was a decently fun issue, though it was mainly just set up. I guess disguising yourself as Luna is the equivalent of wearing a Nixon mask in Equestria. The art is pretty cute. The use of a tracking chip was odd, but I suppose it being activated with magic makes it OK; it still should looked more magical, though, instead of just looking like a generic computer chip. I'm guessing the police officer that cast the tracking spell at the end is the real culprit and the real gem wasn't actually stolen until the smoke bomb went off.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Just read Friends Forever #7, with Luna and Pinkie. It was a good issue, but I honestly thought the scenes with Twilight were a lot more interesting and funnier than the ones with Pinkie. Her scenes had great moments like Spike falling off the ladder, Twilight catching him, and putting him right back at the top of the ladder. Meanwhile, Pinkie's parts just sort of felt like Pinkie being relatively calm. It's nice to see that Pinkie didn't abandon her friends from "Party of One" even though she's no longer depressed. I liked the way Celestia was presented. Luna, to be honest, felt a bit bland, despite all of her yelling. Still, none of the characters were bad.

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678