toonzoneAnimation News : Blog : Forums : TV Schedules : Wiki : Comics : Hosted : CD! : Forums  

toonzone forums - Powered by vBulletin

View Poll Results: Rate and Comment - "Justice League: Doom" Animated Feature

Voters
51. You may not vote on this poll

11 21.57%
  • ****1/2

11 21.57%

18 35.29%
  • ***1/2

5 9.80%

5 9.80%
  • **1/2

0 0%

1 1.96%
  • *1/2

0 0%

0 0%
  • 1/2

0 0%
Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Like This Thread!
    Quote Originally Posted by DerekPowers View Post
    I realized the dullness long before that match, but that was definitely a 'roll my eyes' moment. It's like, shouldn't Bane secure the cord or find a better way of delivering the venom to himself by now? And shouldn't the writers be up to the challenge of having Batman defeat Bane in any other possible way?

It was just silly. Here's this big unstoppable powerhouse, and all you have to do is cut the cord, and it's completely exposed. It was as if they just needed to end it, so, have Batman cut his cord...
    Or maybe they could have gone with a non-Venomi powered Bane. Give him a moment early on where he says "Do you know how long it took for me to free myself from the Venom?"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I might be very late to the party, but here are my thoughts:

-Diana finally said "The Cheetah!" for the first time ever. How cool is that? Never happened in JL/JLU or her DTV.

-It was great having Rosenbaum back, but lame that they had to claim he was Barry, simply to tie into the New DC 52. Really? Sigh.

-Cyborg actually served a purpose, which I really liked. I was worried he'd feel like another DC 52 ad-in.

-Nathan Fillion is terrific as a voice actor, and funny. Hope he keeps it up.

-I couldn't believe at first that they were drawing Diana using her (brown??) lasso as a whip and holding it by the very end. That made no visual sense, even for a magical piece of rope that forces people to tell the truth. That thing could be as beautiful a visual as anything a GL conjures up, yet it repeatedly gets downgraded. This time, the downgrade didn't even make sense.

-Green Lantern and Star got the best animation (though you could tell they sped up the frame rate in places)

-The story was decent enough, but the ending was really, REALLY out-there. The Justice League made PLANET EARTH intangible? Um...okay, sure, why not!

-I was really upset and bothered by Bane/Vandal's idea of putting Bruce...where he put Bruce. That wasn't kosher for the medium in my eyes. I fully believe animation as an art can be expressive and daring, but this isn't an "art picture", it's a superhero picture intended for mass consumption. That entire turn of events was gruesome beyond belief, and I resented it.

-Two other shocking moments: J'onn being set on fire and running around burning. YIPES! Given that we hear about this kind of stuff on the news every night, you'd think that maybe they wouldn't want to put it in a cartoon movie? That was pretty awful. The other moment was Superman being shot and operated on. Again, gruesome, but the least of the three.

-I didn't enjoy the whole piece as much as I wanted to. I think that if the producers had an itch to do some fun Legion of Doom stuff, this one movie could have been their chance. Let the villains be entertaining and full of charisma and the heroes heroic and bright and people to root for. Instead, it felt like two stories at odds with each other (Legion + Babel) instead of complimenting each other.

-The swearing is as jarring as ever, and oh. So. Lame. Please DC - stop tossing in swearing to be edgy and cool. It's not working!

-The animation style this time around lead to some of the least expressive, most frozen, dull faces and borderline confusing reactions. There were lines early in the film where I had to completely discount the visuals to understand the delivery (because the faces told me nothing!) It was up to the voices entirely in parts. One guard speaking to Hal outside the caves, for example, had this massive mouth that was moving in a fashion that would lead you to think the guy was yelling - but the voice actor was speaking normally. Very odd. I hope we don't see faces animated like these ever again.

-I groaned at the repetition of Vandal's origins, repeated almost word-for-word from "Maid of Honor". The producers have to know that the geeks watching this already saw JL, and even if they didn't, hearing all about a glowing meteor is totally irrelevant, and if it needed to be repeated, could be done in a more inventive way than another identical flashback. If you're going to throw away a couple of minutes of exposition on a character, please make it a Wonder Woman character for once

-I really liked the voice actress on the Cheetah.

-Didn't entirely love that the Cheetah/Diana fights felt like some kind of girl-on-girl pay-per-view cage match though (thanks to Cheetah's fighter/exercise duds).

-Star's design was pretty horrible. She was a total anime mess, though I know she usually looks like that these days.

-Jimmy! We got our Jimmy back for another turn! Loved that. I honestly hope he gets other work, because he always brings a smile to my face when I hear him.

-Did not care for the intro/theme music. Chris Drake did the GL theme, right? I liked that one, whereas this one felt like the 10th superhero movie theme he'd done, and he was over it, and wasn't inspired in the least. With a title like "Doom" you can do some interesting spooky things, and this had none of that.

-It wasn't clear to me whether we learned for sure that the funky tech came from Vandal. Even if he claims it did, I still expected some kind of Fourth World epilogue with Vandal thanking Darkseid and him going "You fool - you failed in your attempt, so now I must come and conquer - Muahahaha!"

-I was surprised to get a kick out of seeing Hal and Superman working together - IN SPAAACCEE!

-No real love for the Flush gang, but I liked how funky their costumes were this time around. That was a nice switch.

-Going by the storyboarding, the League seemed to be literally chasing the Gang in circles for a few minutes at the end of their robbery. What was that? Was GL really flying around some circular hallway endlessly?

-Superman needs to remember his heat vision can and will always be able to cut Metallo clean in half, every time, in under five seconds. Honestly man.

-Always glad to hear Kevin, Tim, Susan, Michael and Carl. Yay team!

It's difficult to say I really enjoyed it because...I didn't. It didn't charm me or really annoy me. I wouldn't watch it again, and wouldn't buy it either, though it was well-done in many respects and I liked the cast. I just feel like these movies are interchangeable and aren't leaving much of a mark on the world of animation or superheroes. They're not a cheap cash grab, but they're not Feature Film quality either. If this exact script was made into a Live Action film, they're change and cut stuff and tighten it in places. I can't figure out why that wasn't done here (losing the pointless Vandal origin, maybe setting up the Hal/Carol "they broke up and it was ugly" history a bit, doing something to show newbies why Cheetah and Diana fight (one line does not a relationship explain), etc).. These JL/Batman/Superman movies all feel like they're aimed directly at the DCAU/comics crowd, who already know 90% of what's happening. So...it's hard to get excited about these. I wouldn't show this to someone who knows nothing about the characters. I'd really like to see their next DTVs break some new ground in some way, and stand apart as a really successful piece of artistic expression. This was an okay movie, but not that.

I'd say this one is almost as good as the Red Hood movie, though I liked that one more because it had the potential of being a terrific, sombre character-driven movie of Feature quality (and fell short).

Dwayne is missed.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DisneyBoy View Post
    It was great having Rosenbaum back, but lame that they had to claim he was Barry, simply to tie into the New DC 52. Really? Sigh.
    Well, it was a Superfriends-era line up. But it would have been better if they got back Neil Patrick Harris since he voiced Barry in the New Frontier movie.

Going by the storyboarding, the League seemed to be literally chasing the Gang in circles for a few minutes at the end of their robbery. What was that? Was GL really flying around some circular hallway endlessly?
    Obviously, the wrong architect got hired to build the place.
    Home Page: DCAU Resource Last Updated: July 31, 2014
    Twitter: DCAUResource

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I remember reading about Mystery of the Batwoman that a lot of fans were not happy that the end of the movie featured Bruce Wayne and Kathy Duquesne together. They complained that Bruce didn't break it off, and instead chose to continue pursuing a relationship with Kathy. That seemed to be an example in which the fans generally didn't reward the writers with trying to think out of the box.
    Remember though that Batwoman was a very annoying film for a great number of reasons beyond the fact that Bruce "got the girl" in the end. Firstly, said girl went around saying "twa-la" constantly (I hate to even remember that), and looked almost exactly like Halle Berry, who'd pretty recently been in a horrible film, earning the scorn of the entire fanbase. Secondly, we had to see Barbara - our beloved Barbara - be left with nothing more than a cameo in which Bruce completely slights her. That compounds the offence of getting with Kathy the moron. And on top of all that, you had the awful recasting of Penguin and Bane, which diluted any sense of pleasure we had over seeing them again. And I'm not even getting into major plot points here!

So negativity was to be expected once the credits came around. The fact that Kathy "won" our Bruce over in the end was the cherry on the sundae, so that's probably why people harped on it. I agree that seeing Bruce land Selina or Talia or Barbara as a real life partner would be a interesting way to end one of these films...but frankly, I think they need to put Batman on the back-burner already. Flash is clearly well-loved: why not do a Flash movie? Or a Hawkworld movie? Or a Wonder Woman sequel?

These films should seek out new ground - audiences would respect them more for that, than this "Is this what you want? Well, here's some more!" approach. It's wearing thin, judging by people's reactions to this honestly decent film.

Obviously, the wrong architect got hired to build the place.
    Honestly, it's not even like you can tell yourself they're a Guggenheim-like building...you can clearly see from the backgrounds and the angles of the hallway that they're just chasing each other round and round and round one complete circle. Really! That's....hilarious!

I will say this though - I enjoyed this much much more than Crisis on Two Earths, because this film took on far less and did more with it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DisneyBoy

-It was great having Rosenbaum back, but lame that they had to claim he was Barry, simply to tie into the New DC 52. Really? Sigh.
    This movie was made way before the New 52 and the producers even said the New 52 didn't influence any of their decisions. Besides DC has been pushing Barry into the spotlight since 2008, well before the New 52.

-I was really upset and bothered by Bane/Vandal's idea of putting Bruce...where he put Bruce. That wasn't kosher for the medium in my eyes. I fully believe animation as an art can be expressive and daring, but this isn't an "art picture", it's a superhero picture intended for mass consumption. That entire turn of events was gruesome beyond belief, and I resented it.
    I thought it worked. Although I think they should've followed it up better by having Batman going crazy on Bane, almost killing him but at the last second showing restraint. And at the end of the day these movies are rated PG-13 so expect some brutality and swearing.

-Didn't entirely love that the Cheetah/Diana fights felt like some kind of girl-on-girl pay-per-view cage match though (thanks to Cheetah's fighter/exercise duds).
    I didn't really get that impression, but I guess some people will whenever two women are fighting. If anything I think Wonder Woman's had some of the best fight scenes in these movies.

I can't figure out why that wasn't done here (losing the pointless Vandal origin, maybe setting up the Hal/Carol "they broke up and it was ugly" history a bit, doing something to show newbies why Cheetah and Diana fight (one line does not a relationship explain), etc).. These JL/Batman/Superman movies all feel like they're aimed directly at the DCAU/comics crowd, who already know 90% of what's happening. So...it's hard to get excited about these.
    So if they're aimed at that crowd I can understand cutting Savage's origin, but at the same time why bother elaborating on Wonder Woman and Cheetah's relationship? I think just knowing they each hate a member of the League from past defeats is enough, I don't think we needed any more details as to why, except in M'al's case since he's such an obscure character and J'Onn is the least known of the big 7. I'm pretty sure the two are brothers in the comics, which went unmentioned in the movie, which I think is more of a shame than not knowing exactly why Cheetah hates Wondy or the details on Hal and Carol's split.

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyBoy
    but frankly, I think they need to put Batman on the back-burner already. Flash is clearly well-loved: why not do a Flash movie? Or a Hawkworld movie? Or a Wonder Woman sequel?

These films should seek out new ground - audiences would respect them more for that, than this "Is this what you want? Well, here's some more!" approach. It's wearing thin, judging by people's reactions to this honestly decent film.
    Its clearly working for them since this is the highest selling movie since the first one, Superman: Doomsday. Not that I wouldn't love a Flash movie or another Wonder Woman one.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I didn't really get that impression, but I guess some people will whenever two women are fighting. If anything I think Wonder Woman's had some of the best fight scenes in these movies.
    Oh now, now...I'm not one of those people. I guess there was something about the staging and Cheetah's outfit that made it look that way. I think ultimately it might also have something to do with Diana's inability to fly here as well, which kept the action very ground-level. It wasn't a major complaint of mine, just something that I couldn't help but think when I saw them brawling. In the end, I rather liked the notion that Batman knew her weakness was never backing down.

And how nice was it to hear Susan Eisenberg back in the role? It was so nice.

So if they're aimed at that crowd I can understand cutting Savage's origin, but at the same time why bother elaborating on Wonder Woman and Cheetah's relationship? I think just knowing they each hate a member of the League from past defeats is enough, I don't think we needed any more details as to why, except in M'al's case since he's such an obscure character and J'Onn is the least known of the big 7. I'm pretty sure the two are brothers in the comics, which went unmentioned in the movie, which I think is more of a shame than not knowing exactly why Cheetah hates Wondy or the details on Hal and Carol's split.
    Cheetah's been short-changed in the past, like much of the Wonder Woman mythos, so I guess that's my personal preference creeping in. I would agree that M'al needed something more, and I stand by the Hal/Carol stuff needing more because really...his whole defeat was based on a deep personal relationship. We KNOW Batman's parents were murdered - it's in the pop culture. But what happened between Hal and Carol? Ummm...no idea. It was hinted at as the script progressed, but we could have chopped down the Flush Gang sequence a bit to show Hal perhaps thinking of old times with Carol or something. Anything to lay some brick-work.

Also - to whoever said there were a lot of robots in this movie, good catch. There are a LOT of robots in this movie! Odd.

I thought it worked. Although I think they should've followed it up better by having Batman going crazy on Bane, almost killing him but at the last second showing restraint. And at the end of the day these movies are rated PG-13 so expect some brutality and swearing.
    In something like Under The Red Hood, it would have been still really awful, but expected. That was a horror/superhero concept. This was a Babel/Super Friends concept, obviously updated to not be goofy. That scene...it was a big, BIG punch to the audience, and needed another movie (probably rated R, as you said, since Batman would have probably wanted Bane dead) to house it. Batman going crazy on Bane in this movie would have just made the whole thing that much more sombre and intense, unnecessarily. I still am not sure how I felt about J'onn being set on fire, given all the suicide bombings and immolations we see on the news.

Its clearly working for them since this is the highest selling movie since the first one, Superman: Doomsday.
    Well, the concept of this film was really strong. I was looking forward to it much more than any of the previous ones since Wonder Woman. The cast reunion also helped, as did the unfortunate loss of Dwayne. People love his work, so they were going to support this.

Batman Year One though...I'm not excited about. It would have to get crazy rave reviews for me to check it out. From the clips already shown, it looks...about on par with these releases.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    In something like Under The Red Hood, it would have been still really awful, but expected. That was a horror/superhero concept. This was a Babel/Super Friends concept, obviously updated to not be goofy. That scene...it was a big, BIG punch to the audience, and needed another movie (probably rated R, as you said, since Batman would have probably wanted Bane dead) to house it. Batman going crazy on Bane in this movie would have just made the whole thing that much more sombre and intense, unnecessarily. I still am not sure how I felt about J'onn being set on fire, given all the suicide bombings and immolations we see on the news.
    My biggest complaint about violence in these movies, in general, is usually reserved for when it so badly portrays limitations on the human body that it almost becomes slapsticky. For instance, in Red Hood, the scene when Batman was breaking porcelain fixtures with Jason's face without leaving so much as a mark, I think, is only a few levels less ridiculous than Looney Tunes when they drop anvils on people's heads.

As for most of the characters, though, you already know they're far more rugged than humans (Batman notwithstanding, of course). If you want an action/fight scene to have any sort of drama, of course you have to turn it up. Obviously everyone's level of sensitivity is unique to him or herself, but I'm confident that for large majority of viewers, there's nothing terribly distasteful about how the violence was portrayed in this movie. Beating up bad guys is such standard fare in the superhero genre, if you want to maintain having older audiences you most likely can't settle for 1980's cartoon-level of sequencing. And for variety's sake, it's good not to settle only for punch-kick fests.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    How DARE you suggest I'm only comfortable with '80s levels of animated violence!

*hugs a tree*

With these movies though, it's like they try to live up to a PG rating, rather than letting the stories dictate the content of the action scenes. This is a movie where we get the fantasy logic of a device that makes the entire planet earth and all the people on it, intangible. That's pretty '80s-level goofiness if you ask me. The characters can say "crap" all they want - it's plays to me like an eight year old frontin'.

Doing what Bane did is severely mentally scarring, and I did not find it worked within the realm of this villains vs heroes team-up movie. Why is darker better? I didn't think this movie had to be dark at all...they just keep going there because there's this PG rating to live up to. I think they're afraid that if they don't bring it to PG level, kids and adults won't think it's cool enough to slap down money for.

Just a theory. Now if you don't mind, I'm off to watch He-Man and She-Ra gently nudge a bunch of mean ol' villains out of their way, then apologize.

But first;

For instance, in Red Hood, the scene when Batman was breaking porcelain fixtures with Jason's face without leaving so much as a mark, I think, is only a few levels less ridiculous than Looney Tunes when they drop anvils on people's heads.
    Yes, yes yes! I agree completely - but that movie had more than its share of instances where they artificially toned down the violence in silly, silly ways. That opening sequence where Jason was "brutally attacked" was so badly neutered, it really undercut the tension of the film. Not so much as a blood stain on that kid.

Okay, now I'm off to go watch non-violent violence. Cause that's how I roll.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I didn't care for that fight either, but not for the reasons you didn't like it. I just thought it was really really stupid. The plan to take down WW should have been much better. I don't know, it just was silly. Like, "Oh, I'm gonna take down WW by convincing her everyone is Cheetah??" Meh.

Plus, I totally cringed when she rips Cyborg's arm off, and then two seconds later is like "Now lets get you to a hospital", with a compassionate tone. Jeez, really? So she rips "Cheetah's" arm off, and then is suppose to be all noble? Eh, the whole thing just felt off, uninspired, lame, and uncharacteristically gruesome.
    I want to believe that the dead are not lost to us, that they speak to us, as part of something greater than us, greater than any alien force. And if you and I are powerless now, I want to believe that if we listen to it speak, it can give us the power to save ourselves.

--Fox Mulder

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DerekPowers View Post
    I didn't care for that fight either, but not for the reasons you didn't like it. I just thought it was really really stupid. The plan to take down WW should have been much better. I don't know, it just was silly. Like, "Oh, I'm gonna take down WW by convincing her everyone is Cheetah??" Meh.

Plus, I totally cringed when she rips Cyborg's arm off, and then two seconds later is like "Now lets get you to a hospital", with a compassionate tone. Jeez, really? So she rips "Cheetah's" arm off, and then is suppose to be all noble? Eh, the whole thing just felt off, uninspired, lame, and uncharacteristically gruesome.
    That bugged the hell out of me too
    Consider Yourself Impeached - Superman to Lex Luthor (Superman/Batman: Public Enemies)